Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
night waking?

DS is 4 months and from about 6-8 weeks he started sleeping 5-7 hours each night. WOOHOO! I got spoiled I guess and he even would occasionally give me an 8 hour stretch! Anyway, the last week or so, most nights he will wake up crying an hour after I put him down. Usually he starts in his crib and I would get in bed and co-sleep once he woke up, which used to be between 3-4am. Now, I put him down by about 9pm and he's up crying at 10:30. I'm usually pretty tired by then so I just end up getting in bed with him instead of trying to put him back down in his crib. Then he seems to nurse ALL.NIGHT.LONG! He hasn't changed much during the day, still nurses about every 2-3 hours and hardly naps, but occasionally will do a good morning nap of about an hour to hour and a half. The rest of the day, naps are usually on me (wearing him).

He's started rolling over recently so I'm wondering if he's rolling and waking himself up and can't get back to sleep on his own. He's too young to CIO and I don't know if I want to let him CIO even if he reaches that "magic age" of it being "ok" to CIO.

Anyway, just looking for some tips to help him get back to those 6-7 hour stretches. This mama is TIRED!! It's like he's a newborn again.

Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: night waking?

could he be teething early? We thought DS was teething but haven't seen anything yet, sometimes the only things that make him feel better are nursing and a cool teething ring.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
MoBaby
Registered Users
seller

This is not particularly hopeful for you but my son did the exact same thing. I just ended up putting him in bed with us most of the time because we got the most sleep overall that way. He's almost 10 months now and it goes in waves. Sometimes he sleeps 8 to 10 hours, other times he wake up every 3, and everywhere in between Its definitely worse with teething (but when is an infant ever not teething really?)

From 6 months I figured out I could get him to take a pacifier (hard to get in his mouth but once I got it on there he would relax) when he woke up, especially around 10 pm, he would go back to sleep without nursing every time. Doesn't work anymore, ha. Also sometimes I put him back in his crib after he nurse back to sleep between, say, 4 and 5am and I can get a little solo sleep.

Good luck mama, I know you are tired!!
MoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

There's a great book (and iPhone app) called The Wonder Weeks that details the developmental changes your baby goes through at predictable times based on weeks from full term. Around 4 months is a really big one. My DS has been more wakeful lately, too.

If he has been sleeping well before, I think there's a very good chance he will return to that pattern soon-ish, regardless of what you do.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you could get those positioning pillows and keep him from rolling. In the hospital they used rolled blankets, I don't know it that is "allowed"
Old 08-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ahh, the 4 month sleep regression. It's pretty common.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake
There's a great book (and iPhone app) called The Wonder Weeks that details the developmental changes your baby goes through at predictable times based on weeks from full term. Around 4 months is a really big one. My DS has been more wakeful lately, too.

If he has been sleeping well before, I think there's a very good chance he will return to that pattern soon-ish, regardless of what you do.
Yes! Love the wonder weeks!

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote