Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you take two kids but leave one?

That's a tough one. If he will be ok with it them yes.

My DH has a tendency to leave the toddler at home with me all the time even when just popping to the store with the older boys. Toddler then gets upset as he knows they are going, drives me banana's. He's not even that much work.

But having said that I like to bring the older boys(when toddler is napping) to the pool by themselves sometimes so they have more freedom and I can swim with them.....so I think most parents of many do split up kids for certain occasions.

I just hope he is ok with being with dad....

Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
momtothebrothersOZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We recently took a trip to Florida for 4 days where we took one son and left the other with his grandparents. We were driving and I knew he would be miserable if he was stuck in a car for that long. I felt super guilty until we got home and he told me what a great time he had. The trip would have been super stressful for us AND him if he had gone and he had so much fun having his grandparents to himself I feel it was the best decision. You know your son, if you think the trip is gonna stress him out as well as you, I say let him spend the weekend with Dad. They can do something fun and maybe it will help their bond too
momtothebrothersOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I did recently but it was sort of out of necessity. We were visiting family in NC and a good friend in Atlanta passed away. We were able to rearrange our flights to attend the funeral. We took our oldest because he was named after the friend that died and the baby because I'm nursing. The baby hates his car seat but does better if I am in the back with him. We were driving my FIL Honda crv so we had ods, baby, and me all in the back. The 4 yr old knew he wasn't going to be able to sit still and be quiet for the funeral and it was a 6 hour drive one way and we drove one day and came back the next day. He got good fun time with the grandparents so it worked out really well.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I see no problem with it. He will be fine with his dad. Don't make a big deal about it and just tell him it is so he can have time with dad and that he wouldn't enjoy the reunion.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #15
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

I have a SN kiddo - One of my middles. I would take him. If yours is anything like mine being left could REALLY effect him in a negative way.

We are an all or nothing family though. I KNOW my son can't stop being who he is and I would never punish him by leaving him out of something because he is who he is. Sometimes I have to explain to people that he is "unique" - sometimes he is fine. (I am NOT saying you are punishing your son - I am saying for our family MY son would feel that he is being punished - I just wanted to make sure you know I am not bashing you!)

Now all that being said - why not ask him if he wants to go? Why does he have to be "left" - maybe he could "choose" to stay and do something fabulous with dad - theme park, movies, camp out in the yard. We do this and call it "dates" and the kids get one on one time to do whatever they want with one parent. I would give him the choice of a "special weekend of super fun planned things with daddy" or coming with you and see what he picks.

Last edited by mg5g; 08-06-2011 at 07:58 PM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #16
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

My 4 year old is the same way. I say leave him if he is gong to be overwhelmed. Speaking from experiance an overwhelmed child who is prone to outbursts is going to be miserable, make you miserable, make your other kids miserable, and make everyone else attending miserable. You will spend most of your time dealing with out bursts and break downs.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote