Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:02 AM   #11
Dons.Donna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybird4
I cut up a few receiving blankets in 8x8 squares. They are just one layer but work great as a wipe. I did the zig zag stitch all the way around (going over the edge a bit).

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I wanted to do this and went to garage sales in hopes to find some cheap ones, but I think people just throw them out or something I didn't have any for DD because we used swaddle blankets this time around.

Sent from my Galaxy Tablet using DS Forum using swype..pls excuse typos

Advertisement

Dons.Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #12
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fabric for wipes

my favorite wipes are velour/sherpa but since i tend to hang onto my seconds i have a bunch of different fabric combos(flannel, terry, velour, sherpa, minkee...) and they all get the job done
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 AM   #13
GrazieGirl
Registered Users
seller

I made wipes that are terrycloth on one side and flannel on the other. I cut squares bigger then my hand, sewed wrong sides together leaving a gap for turning them right side out. I then ironed them to make them nice and flat before sewing around the edge with a zig zag stitch to close the gap. I like having the terry for poo and the smoother side for just wiping down. Be sure to wash your material first especially if you combine types, they might not shrink at the same rate.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:44 AM   #14
xmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have done several different fabrics and sizes. Most are 2 layers flannel since I have a ton of it but some flannel/terry or flannel/velour and like velour most but usually save it for other stuff. Dh and I both prefer larger ones (9x9 and larger) especially for messy changes.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #15
BabyFishDesigns
Registered Users
seller

I use upcycled flannel and love it! Like a pp said, if you don't have a serger you can just zigzag stitch off the edge. T-shirts would work great and be soft and not fray or need the edges sewn, but I see them being a pain in the laundry.
BabyFishDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #16
ahenson
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! Just picked up a large flannel baby blanket for a quarter at a church garage sale. I will see how I do with that!

**Sent from my Xperia X10 using DS Forum -- watch out for odd autocorrects that I don't catch**
Old 08-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #17
janae_69
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually love bamboo velour. Its super soft and doesnt stink. I cut a piece of paper into an 8 " square and rounded the corners and then made a cardboard template out of an old cereal box. I put my fabric down doubled or folded into 4 layers and trace my template into the fabric and cut. I just use a tight zig zag on my machine. I dont have a surger. Then I got a plastic rectangular storage bowl with a lid, fold the diapers wipes once over and put some baby wash solution and baby oil and water in it and use that for the wipe solution.
Mother of 8, Natane' DD 22, Derek DS 20, Seth DS 18, Simeon DS 12, Elijah DS 11, and Zacheriah 7 mo., 2 angels in heaven Selah, and Calah 1/15/11,Co-sleeping, HM-birthing, non-vaxing, HMschooling, CD-ing, tree hugging. Cloth mama pads and nursing pads http://www.freewebs.com/gardenofedengirl/
janae_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #18
GumpR
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybird4 View Post
I cut up a few receiving blankets in 8x8 squares. They are just one layer but work great as a wipe. I did the zig zag stitch all the way around (going over the edge a bit).

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I might have to try this! Normal, flannel-y receiving blankets? (We have some too small ones that were never good for swaddling anyway!)
GumpR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #19
Babybird4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumpR View Post
I might have to try this! Normal, flannel-y receiving blankets? (We have some too small ones that were never good for swaddling anyway!)
Yep...I got some on clearance at wal-mart! They had sergered edges so I just didn't sew those edges on the ones that had original sergered edges on them. They aren't the prettiest but they are for butts! I did use pretty colored thread though.
Babybird4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #20
Moonbot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought a newer flat sheet at a thrift store for $2 and had plenty of fabric to spare! Also a fan of cheap dollar store baby washcloths
Moonbot is offline   Reply With Quote