Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
itsajoi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Questions for next time...

Hi ladies! I have an adorable little son I wish I could've BF longer, and we are now thinking about TTC. I've been thinking a lot about how things went with DS and how I can try to make things smoother next time around. Here are some questions for all you veteran's, if you don't mind!

1. Do you offer both breasts every time your LO eats? I only did one side most of the time unless DS was very hungry, but then my lactation consultant suggested pumping the side he didn't eat from. That's all well and good but the pumping just got to be SUCH a chore. I felt like I spent all my time either BFing or pumping. Thoughts?

2. How rigid were you with pumping if away from baby? This was another one that I was just anal about (i'm sort of OCD...lol). I felt like I could never be away from DS too long without pumping or my supply would get all messed up. So even if I had pumped milk ready for him, I didn't want to leave him because I felt like I should pump while I was gone and I didn't want to mess with that.

Looking back, I think I was just overly worried about everything as a first time mom. I was so concerned about my supply dwindling or my milk not coming in when DS was hungry if I did this or that. How conscious are you of all the dos and don'ts of BFing? Do you feel like there are do's and don'ts or was that just me and my craziness?

Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
LittleClaraLove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I started feeding on demand at birth and my body adapted perfectly. I could always feed dd when she was hungry; even now at 10 months we're going strong. I never left her except with dh for a quick grocery trip here and there so pumped milk was not an issue for us. I tried pumping for a while because I thought I was supposed to, but as a sahm I didn't NEED to pump. So I stopped after a couple of weeks. It did help in the first few days, though, because I was 5 days pp before my milk came in so I had to keep pumping even when dd was sleeping to help it along. Don't stress about it. Your body was made to make children and then to feed them. It's what we were designed to do so trust your body and be confident that you can provide exactly what your child needs.
LittleClaraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Questions for next time...

My babies usually only nurse on one side per feeding. Pumping the other side is a good way to build up a big freezer stash, but it certainly isn't necessary! When my DD was a baby, I hardly ever pumped. She would never take a bottle or cup of milk anyway.

I pump now twice a day to donate, but millions of our foremothers nursed completely successfully without pumping. You don't need to pump if you don't need/want to. Overreliance on pumping is tiresome (as you noticed!), and can lead to oversupply, which can make baby mad that there's too much milk coming too fast.

I am not often separated from my babies for very long--not long enough to pump, really. A few hours at the most, I guess? If I felt like I was getting engorged, then maybe I would pump a bit to relieve the pressure for my own comfort. If I were away for 6 or more hours, I think for my comfort I would certainly need to pump. But in my experience, unless you are regularly going long stretches without nursing, your supply will adjust really rapidly up or down.

What do's and don'ts of nursing are you thinking of? I was not too hung up on rules. The main ones I paid attention to were watching for cues of hunger or need to comfort nurse and offering the breast whenever I thought baby would be interested (hungry, thirsty, upset, etc.). As for don'ts, I guess don't take decongestants, don't assume there is something wrong with your milk or your supply whenever something is a little off or baby is fussy, don't supplement early on until your milk supply is established.

Last edited by VeganCupcake; 08-05-2011 at 12:20 AM.
VeganCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
itsajoi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, ladies. I guess I was just curious to hear others experiences breast feeding to try to judge if I was being overly concerned about everything. I think I was! That's good to know, because now I know I can chill out a little next time and it should all work fine. I think I got overly stressed about what I "should" or "shouldn't" be doing and let it ruin my feelings towards breast feeding!
Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajoi
Thanks, ladies. I guess I was just curious to hear others experiences breast feeding to try to judge if I was being overly concerned about everything. I think I was! That's good to know, because now I know I can chill out a little next time and it should all work fine. I think I got overly stressed about what I "should" or "shouldn't" be doing and let it ruin my feelings towards breast feeding!
It is easy to worry as a first time mom! It should be a little better next time just because you have done it before. Maybe even a lot better! You will probably compare your second to your first, even if you are trying not to. Great job getting your first baby off to the best start. You are clearly a very caring and devoted mom to already be thinking about bf #2 when you have not yet conceived!
I overthink things too, do tons of research, etc. I am learning to trust my instincts more and more with each kid!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think what helped me the 3rd time around was to take a very relaxed approach. I too was so worried about pumping if I missed a feeding, which was only once a day, at night, but then when I pumped I didn't get much, thinking my supply was low. I also bought into a certain "book" about scheduling and I think that affected me, too. THIS time I decided to feed on demand, part-time co-sleep and wait longer before doing a bottle.

If DS HAS gotten a bottle, I haven't really pumped b/c missing just one feeding every now and then probably won't hurt the supply, especially if it's beyond 3-4 months and you've really established/regulated your supply. I'm lazy with pumping so there's hardly any milk for DS to get a bottle and he's been very attached and isn't happy with anyone but me so I really cannot leave him either, so I feel like my stubbornness of not giving a bottle sort of backfired on me b/c now I REALLY can't be away from him. He just won't take a bottle.

What worked for me was just trying to relax and pretty much offering to nurse A LOT. Even if it didn't seem baby was hungry, I would offer. If he was fussy, let him nurse. Nurse to sleep, nurse after waking. He nurses a lot. No wonder he's a boobaholic!