Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Just started EC w/ LO @ 7 months...

I first heard about EC when LO was about 4 months and I thought it was weird. Then at 5 months I looked into it a little out of curiosity and still thought it was weird. Then at 6 months I read some more and thought "huh... maybe...." and then at 7 months I decided to just "try" it once and see what happened. I thought I'd be able to catch the poops easier since I can totally tell when he's pooping. The problem with that is that he is already poopING so I have missed it...

So, I tried catching the pee and BAM! We got it the first time! He had just woken from a nap and I stripped his dipe off and we went and sat him in the tub and turned on the water and he peed! Woo-hoo!

I was so excited! I told DH and he didn't believe me - he thought it was just a random coincidence... So, I showed him the next time and LO did it again and DH couldn't believe it. Awesome.

We've been doing EC only while at home. I don't wanna worry about it when we are out and about but at home I totally take him to his "tub potty" all the time and he pees about 98% of the time. Its fantastic. He is mostly staying dry in his diapers, sometimes he seems to "leak" a little but no soakers.

I am just so impressed. Now I'm starting to wonder if this is what my Mom did with me b/c she said I was potty trained by 18 months.... huh.

I've got a few questions, though.

We've been putting him in the tub and running the hand-held shower sprayer on him, which seems to cue him to pee. I also say "go pee-pee" and that seems to help, too. Is that the "right way" to do it?

I've thought about buying him a little potty. Is it too soon? Or should I just get a small seat to go on our regular toilet?

How do you get them to poop on the toilet? He always goes in his diaper but then he wants it off immediately. What can I do?

TIA!

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
lakinamama
Registered Users

Re: Just started EC w/ LO @ 7 months...

I started at about the same time, and with exactly the same skeptical attitude Actually went straight to a baby Bjorn potty (the most basic one...abt 13$.) Didn't really use any cues except "go potty" and the "toilet" sign. I found that with my chunky boy it was sometimes "leaky" (perhaps the more deluxe model would be better? don't know...) but remedied "accidents" with a prefold under it and didn't worry abt a little escaped wetness. It was SHOCKING how often we were successful, and we literally changed about 12 poopy diapers after that time. I soon bought a toilet topper potty thing and used that when I suspected poop especially just to make it all even easier for us! He is currently 21 months and while he sometimes has pee accidents and doesn't always verbally cue us still, we are happy with his success and feel he is essentially potty trained. He is not independent yet...not sure I want this? As a boy, aim is an issue... he does stand to pee now most times though.
Good luck and hang in there...don't worry abt setbacks, just be impressed by successes!!!
lakinamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We got our first Baby Bjorn Little Potty when my oldest was 3 months old. So, definitely not too early to try out a potty. But toilets, sinks and baths work, too. So do small seats that go on the toilet; my daughter was using those at 4 or 5 months old too (with me holding her to support her)

If the shower thing and saying "pee pee" works for cuing then why not? Not sure there is a "right" way, as long as it's gentle. A lot of people use "pss" as a cue for pee but it doesn't have to be that.

For poos on the toilet, you'd have to learn your LO's cues for poo to see if you can figure out when he poos and offer him the potty/toilet before he poos. You can use timing for this, too... for instance, I noticed my LO's would often have to poo either immediately or within the hour after eating a lot - not always at the same time but it is just when they tend to have to go - once a day or so after eating. Sometimes it's after breakfast, sometimes it's after lunch, sometimes it's after dinner.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

I got a potty for dd at walmart. It's a potty, that has a removable top to put on the toilet like a toilet seat and is also a step stool. I thought it was a great value for only 12 dollars. I have to say the potty part is a little small but other then that it works great. Oh and she is 6months old and we've been using that since she was 3 months old. Now i can just sit her on the potty and cue her.
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy View Post
I first heard about EC when LO was about 4 months and I thought it was weird.
I've got a few questions, though.

We've been putting him in the tub and running the hand-held shower sprayer on him, which seems to cue him to pee. I also say "go pee-pee" and that seems to help, too. Is that the "right way" to do it?

I've thought about buying him a little potty. Is it too soon? Or should I just get a small seat to go on our regular toilet?

How do you get them to poop on the toilet? He always goes in his diaper but then he wants it off immediately. What can I do?

TIA!
Congrats on the pee catches! The way you cue your son to go in the tub is fine. There is no "right way," but some people use the "pssss" sound as a cue also.

I wouldn't say it's too soon to buy him a little potty. My son is 7 weeks old and uses a little potty. I just support him from the back. I'd say if your son can already sit up by himself, then skip the little potty and go right in to the baby bjorn toilet insert (best one I've found!). The little potty is just one more thing to clean! It's main advantage, though, is that LOs can go to them and sit on them independently without having to ask for your help to get up on it the way they would for a toilet. Another advantage is you can keep one in the car during road trips and outings, so it might be worth it for you to teach your LO to use both systems.

Can you get your son to poop on the potty using timing? Like, put him on the potty or hold him over the toilet at a time of day when he usually poops (for example, 15 minutes after eating, first thing in the morning, etc). Then when he does it, tell him what he's doing, "You're pooping! Poop goes in the potty!" If you're unable to get him to poop in the potty, you can still comment on it when he poops in his diaper, "You pooped in your diaper. Let's change you so you can be more comfortable. When you're bigger, you'll put all your poops in the potty." The key is to communicate with him and give him language.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
mummy2monkey
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedledum View Post
Congrats on the pee catches! The way you cue your son to go in the tub is fine. There is no "right way," but some people use the "pssss" sound as a cue also.

I wouldn't say it's too soon to buy him a little potty. My son is 7 weeks old and uses a little potty. I just support him from the back. I'd say if your son can already sit up by himself, then skip the little potty and go right in to the baby bjorn toilet insert (best one I've found!). The little potty is just one more thing to clean! It's main advantage, though, is that LOs can go to them and sit on them independently without having to ask for your help to get up on it the way they would for a toilet. Another advantage is you can keep one in the car during road trips and outings, so it might be worth it for you to teach your LO to use both systems.

Can you get your son to poop on the potty using timing? Like, put him on the potty or hold him over the toilet at a time of day when he usually poops (for example, 15 minutes after eating, first thing in the morning, etc). Then when he does it, tell him what he's doing, "You're pooping! Poop goes in the potty!" If you're unable to get him to poop in the potty, you can still comment on it when he poops in his diaper, "You pooped in your diaper. Let's change you so you can be more comfortable. When you're bigger, you'll put all your poops in the potty." The key is to communicate with him and give him language.
Great advice!

Re the cuing - I would just make sure to have a verbal cue such as do pee pee or psss so that when you are away from your tub he will understand what is meant. And maybe gradually stop running the shower.

Love the baby bjorn toilet insert for ease of cleaning. Great for a boy thanks to the splash guard. We sat DD on it from the beginning of our EC journey - she was 3 months then. We also have a little potty and a few big potties, but pretty much exclusively used the toilet with the exception of outings - the little potty was our car potty. In the few weeks we have started keeping a bigger potty in our living room so DD can sit on it when she needs to. She is 15 months now.

I would also let him see you put the poo from his diaper in the toilet/potty, and tell him "poo goes in the toilet/potty". Maybe even ask him where his poo goes and get him to show you the toilet or the potty.
mummy2monkey is offline   Reply With Quote