Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #21
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: No recess for first grade???

I have a friend teaching in AZ now (she and I taught at the same school in CA for a while) and NONE of the kids at her school get recess (except at lunch). She hated it at first and she still finds the kids wiggly, but she learned to integrate movement into every lesson, with a large motor activity at least 1x/day, and that helped.

Personally, I don't agree w/ taking recess out of elementary. Developmentally, the kids need it. I dont have an issue w/ snack though. However, we serve breakfast in the classroom from 7:40-8:00 and lunch is served at: K-10:30, 1-11:00, 2-11:15, etc. It's only 3 hrs from the end of bkfast until lunch, so I dont find an am snack imperative. However, if lunch was later, 1st grade students would need a snack break.

Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #22
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can you teach them American customary games that get them moving around like:

Duck Duck Goose
Heads up 7-up
Put vocabulary cards on the floor and have the kids jump on them for the correct words
Ring around the Rosie

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Schools in our district don't have snack...
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #23
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Can you teach them American customary games that get them moving around like:

Duck Duck Goose
Heads up 7-up
Put vocabulary cards on the floor and have the kids jump on them for the correct words
Ring around the Rosie

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Schools in our district don't have snack...
This is what I was thinking and have them do jumping jacks and those type of things as well as Simon Says (or teacher says).

I wouldn't ask parents to rotate snacks only because you don't know if they can financially afford it or not and there are some families who will not admit they can't afford it as they are embarrassed and it puts them in a difficult situation. I would also be worried about liability as you don't know how clean the parents house/kitchen is and don't want to risk the kids getting sick. I'd have everyone who can bring their own snack and if you can afford it bring some for the kids who can't/free lunch.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #24
mariegal
Registered Users
seller
seller

Seems a bit silly. Especially considering the value of language development during play and authentic language experiences with their English speaking peers. That fifteen minutes is just as educational as being in the classroom, IMO.

I hope you can get things worked out.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #25
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Last edited by 5PrincessMommy; 10-10-2011 at 11:27 PM.
5PrincessMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #26
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

My son is going into 1st grade and will have 2 recesses a day, plus PE 3-4 times a week. He goes to an all boys school, so there is a lot of activity built into the schedule.

What has helped him (he has some sensory issues and sitting still is very hard for him) is that every class has movement. In music, every single song had hand/body motions. In math they got up out of their seat and used manipulatives. When they were learning measuring, they went out to the field and actually measured the distance between the bases using different objects. In Science they were learning about the body and they went outside to the track to run so they could feel what happens to their heart when they exercise and get moving. They took walks around the school grounds and wrote observations about the trees (learning about seasonal changes.) When learning the letters, they used puzzle pieces to form the shapes of the letters. In English the poems and stories they were learning all had hand motions too.

I would do everything you could to incorporate movement into the regular curriculum b/c IME 6 year olds will not be able to sit still and focus all day.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #27
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

6 year old need movement... do your best to incorporate it into your lessons... and if you can get them outside for a lesson a couple times a week too I would.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #28
ralenth
Registered Users

That is sad. There are ways to get the wiggles out in the classroom, too. My middle son's teacher had a bunch of "active" songs she used with the kids (usually fit right into whatever theme she was teaching at the time), that got the kids up and moving, and got those wiggles out of them. Honestly, if it were my kid in that class with no recesses? I'd be pulling him or her. No way would they go the whole day without a recess. Kids at that age need activity, and running around.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #29
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ugh, yes, that's BAD. At such a young age too? Definitely do what you can.

I think our whole school system is idiotic at this point. It needs a major overhaul. The no recess thing in your case may just be due to the requirements of your school district, but I know more and more schools are being mandated to eliminate recesses due to the no child left behind crap. If your kids test poorly, you have to take away recess to have more academic time. Yet, anyone with kids knows that this results in LESS learning, as the kids are bored and fidgety.

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!
DocsNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #30
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

The younger grade (K-2) will sometimes go out after lunch for a few minutes, but, honestly, "recess" is frowned upon. Our kids get 2 days of PE, but there is a time requirement for physical activity, so on the other 3 days they are supposed to have "teacher directed PE". Like a game or activity involving movement while they are learning-not just running around on the playground.
As far as snack, our school doesn't do that either. All kids can have breakfast between 7:30 and 8:00. The few classes that don't eat again until 12 or so may have a morning snack, but each student brings their own.
kts1120 is offline   Reply With Quote