Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ammonia buildup/burn... what to change in my routine?

I had to use all f&c for quite a while with Cayden and I never had any issues. But,I have allways used bleach so I have never had any issues.I have also used liquid too. 6 yrs now I have had the (basically) same routine. I have to use less detergent now that I have a fl'er though.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #12
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Interesting info!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #13
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've been doing a pre wash baking soda soak and its working great!

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!
DocsNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #14
sslundgren
Registered Users

I don't have a suggestion, but wanted to echo your concerns. I'm having the exact same issue and was actually getting a little emotional about it since I feel like getting cloth diapers "right" is a big deal to me. I'm also pregnant and hormonal I have hard water AND a front loader. I read somewhere that maybe I wasn't using enough detergent. Could this be true? I use RnG. We were using Charlies and switched. HELP HELP HELP!!!
sslundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
Farmer's Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In my opinion, I would never use bleach. You will wreck your diapers faster that way. If you have heard of Norwex and know of someone that sells it or you could even research to find a consultant in your area, this stuff is the shizzy! i use it for all of my clothes including diapers. It is 100% natural and the chemicals in it are way safer for people to use. It is scent-free, strips your clothes and diapers of all smells and soils and really washes well. It was the only thing that got rid of my ammonia smell! We also had a burn one night and didn't know what it was so we spent 4 hours in emergency for a suspected UTI that was only an ammonia burn in the end!! lol To strip my diapers I also do a super hot cycle with a pre-soak and max rinse after doing a cold short cycle with no detergent. I love Norwex!! And it's economically very cheap for such a great product!
Good Luck!!
Old 08-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
chunkydunk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Like the other posters have said, I think you might need a different detergent.

I use soap nuts and rarely have any ammonia. They are also really inexpensive if purchased from the right place.

Sent from my iPhone which likes to embarrass me.

Earn swagbucks and get gift cards! Sign up today!
chunkydunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
Farmer's Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslundgren View Post
I don't have a suggestion, but wanted to echo your concerns. I'm having the exact same issue and was actually getting a little emotional about it since I feel like getting cloth diapers "right" is a big deal to me. I'm also pregnant and hormonal I have hard water AND a front loader. I read somewhere that maybe I wasn't using enough detergent. Could this be true? I use RnG. We were using Charlies and switched. HELP HELP HELP!!!
See my above post. We have hard water and a front loader as well AND we were using RnG. RnG was the worst thing for our diapers!!! Oh my goodness, I do not like that stuff at all. I have heard it from so many mamas out there! To get rid of it I now use it for my hubby's work clothes
Old 08-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #18
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

OK, anyone tried Kirkland F&C? I picked some up this morning to try, I'm thinking they must have changed something in the Purex and maybe I'm using too much now or something? I am tired of the rashes though and my daughter is still full time in diapers, so her rashes get to the point of blistering, where as my son gets a basic sun burn after bed/naps... I am thinking about getting some disposable inserts for the flips for him while he naps if this doesn't clear up soon.

We're really struggling for money right now with medical bills and my husband losing his job over his medical condition (I mean 'they were slow and had to make cuts', but really because he couldn't really function at work between the chemo and disease) and everything, so I can't really go buying a bunch of different detergents to try or anything, I'm just hoping this one works... I'm doing a vinegar rinse first too, so lets hope we can cure this quick! I'm running out of triple paste (and TIRED of liners! LOL) and the coconut oil and corn starch just aren't helping enough on their own...
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

hummm... I just checked an old bottle of Purex we had in the trash still (laundry room trash takes forever to fill apparently LOL) against the new one... the ingredients list is totally different!! The measurements in the cap are different, and there are subtle differences in the packaging! HA! I'm not CD stupid! LOL :P The detergent switched up on me!! How RUDE!

The new Purex has double the list of ingredients and the ones that are the same are in a different order...
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #20
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
I would use some bleach to kill the bacteria, maby a strip too. Just to get all the buildup out.
I would do the same and switch detergents. Also have less diapers in the wash with more water helps.