Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #21
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Re: Ammonia buildup/burn... what to change in my routine?

Oh, I have a top loader (old one that came with the house) and I wash every morning after the first diaper change of the day. With 2 kids in diapers and being too broke to afford many diapers, my wet bag is PACKED after 24 hours and I am about out of diapers! LOL Plus I like to get those over night diapers ASAP!

I do tend to use a little extra water than needed, but I've heard too much water prevents them from "grinding" each other (for a lack of a better term) to work the dirt out, so I try not to overdo it either.

Advertisement

MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #22
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslundgren View Post
I don't have a suggestion, but wanted to echo your concerns. I'm having the exact same issue and was actually getting a little emotional about it since I feel like getting cloth diapers "right" is a big deal to me. I'm also pregnant and hormonal I have hard water AND a front loader. I read somewhere that maybe I wasn't using enough detergent. Could this be true? I use RnG. We were using Charlies and switched. HELP HELP HELP!!!
You will either need to use more detergent hun or a softner like borax or calgon. I went through the hard water issues when we lived if FL. I just used my normal amnt of detergent with a softner. Worked great! You may really want to check into switching detergents as well. Try a main stream detergent? I have had great luck with tide, dropps, arm and hammer, and all f&c. I know many hate liquid but that's all I have ever used and have had no issues with it. HTH!

I just wanted to add, in my 6 yrs of diapering, I have yet to destroy a dipe using bleach. I wash with it in every load as well. I guess it just depends on how well you rinse it out. I even have some dipes I still use from when I first started cd'ing.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #23
UnschoolingFamily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Since you use BGEs, I will remind you that Bum Genius suggests to usesome bleach once a month to get their diapers clean. I, just like many other posters, use a small amount of bleach in every diaper load now, including on all of my PUL, pockets, AIOs, covers and fitteds. I have never seen any evidence of damage so far (DD is 9 months).
UnschoolingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #24
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just a thought bc i have had the same issues with tge same brand. Get some fleece liners to protect your babys skin until you get this resolved.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #25
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrunch View Post
Oh, I have a top loader (old one that came with the house) and I wash every morning after the first diaper change of the day. With 2 kids in diapers and being too broke to afford many diapers, my wet bag is PACKED after 24 hours and I am about out of diapers! LOL Plus I like to get those over night diapers ASAP!

I do tend to use a little extra water than needed, but I've heard too much water prevents them from "grinding" each other (for a lack of a better term) to work the dirt out, so I try not to overdo it either.
I have discovered with the new Purex FC for my FL machine that I need WAY WAY less or I also get bad ammonia. I don't know if it would be the same for a TL? Also I thought water was the most important thing when cleaning diapers? Almost more than detergent. Maybe try using more water too?
ReadingRenee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #26
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

I think I'm annoyed enough with Purex that I won't buy from them again... I'm going to pray this Kirkland is good... I love everything else Kirkland makes, hopefully I can add this to the list...

Today... biggest load of diapers I've ever done! Stripping them all... besides a couple last resort pockets for my daughter to get through the next couple changes with... keeping the boy in undies, luckily we got his rash taken care of finally, and hers is on the mend... hopefully this strip works and we can get back to normal!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #27
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sayin a prayer for ya!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #28
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Thanks! LOL I appreciate it!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #29
sanddimarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use a diaper detergent because it's worked really well for us.
I have noticed that I need to use vinegar on my last rinse or we'll have ammonia issues.
I also add bleach once every couple of weeks.

Sanddi
Single mommy to my Sylasarus

sanddimarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #30
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Well I did a strip that took most of the day, long process including both a little bleach and some vinegar as well as some blue dawn and a little baking soda! LOL I didn't hold back! Hopefully everything is out of these diapers now!! LOL I found a couple inserts that I missed, plus diapers from today, so I'll be repeating the process on a smaller scale tomorrow too... I don't want to see another ammonia burn!