Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2011, 02:11 AM   #1
Dons.Donna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So I've been reading all these threads about traveling with cloth. It seems flats are the easiest/best suggestions, but I'm not a pro at folding..tried pfs and just couldn't get it. I have a few flats, but I wonder how that's going to work. If all else fails, I figure the best thing to do, in preparation, is make some daddy flats. What can you tell me about "daddy flats"? Are they absorbent enough? Do they NEED to be pinned or snappied or can I just use a snug cover? Has anyone tried adding an insert for more absorbency? DH has lots of shirts that i'm sure I can upcycle to try out before vacation. Should I try it out? Would it work for travel? Can they be made with flour sacks? Are they just as easy as flats to wash?

TIA.

Sent from my Galaxy Tablet using DS Forum using swype..pls excuse typos

Advertisement

Last edited by Dons.Donna; 08-06-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Dons.Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about Daddy flats

With the t-shirt ones, you really don't need an insert. They are pretty absorbent. They will have to be snappied or pinned unless you have some nice and snug covers, that may work. I have a fs thread with some action shots, perhaps that will give you an idea of how they fit and look. I sewed them down so I wouldn't have to keep folding. Look at some of the pics and maby you can get an idea of what you would like to do. They are a fun dipe and work well. It's here:

http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1246825
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Dons.Donna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you mama looks like you're the only one around that knows about Daddy flats.
ETA: since you sewed them down, is it harder to handwash/dry? I'd really like to find out if it's worth it and useable for vacation before cutting tees.

Sent from my EVO using DS Forum

Last edited by Dons.Donna; 08-06-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
marisolstice
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did a little tutorial on here not too long ago....I really like them! I use my DH's old tshirts. I always snappi or pin, and they absorb about as much as a flour sack or Ikea flat, not quite as much as a large birdseye (like Diaper rite or LL). I didn't sew mine down, but on a couple I added a couple extra layers to the body part. They all wash and dry just fine, maybe a tiny bit longer to dry than flats. It's really easy to add inserts: just lay it in and then fold the sides over. I've only made them out of tshirts, but it would be just as easy to use floursacks or a towel or sheet or something.

I say go for it; you've got nothing to lose!
Actually, after a couple episodes of people throwing away diapers/leaving them behind, I'm only going to use Daddy flats and flats for traveling...they're pretty cheap to replace.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
marisolstice
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here's the link; I think other people have posted no-sew versions too.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ht=daddy+flats
Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
angelacez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This looks like fun! I'm gonna look for some old t-shirts now. Not that I need anymore diapers. LOL. But who doesn't want some extras, and what kid doesn't want to help with tye-dying! I loved those.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
michelleml
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I made 1 or 2 just to try out and they wash and dry easy i snappi mine. I mainly padfold my flats and lay inside flip cover. My 8m old just moves to much to try and fold with the flats
Michelle

Michelle
michelleml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Dons.Donna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marisolstice
Here's the link; I think other people have posted no-sew versions too.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ht=daddy+flats
How did you get into the inside curves? I'm thinking/read that's the tough part. Any tricks/suggestions? Thanks.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dons.Donna View Post
Thank you mama looks like you're the only one around that knows about Daddy flats.
ETA: since you sewed them down, is it harder to handwash/dry? I'd really like to find out if it's worth it and useable for vacation before cutting tees.

Sent from my EVO using DS Forum
I don't know if I would sew them down if handwashing? Not sure if you could easily get all the poopies out?

I cut mine way different than the other moms did though. It's shaped basically the same. I cut just under the neck line, using that as the waist area.

Something simular to this:

http://diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742836

I just wouldn't sew it down for handwashing. It's not that hard to fold them. I just did it for the ease.

They are very good as dipes. I kept the material all the way to the waist/bottom area of the shirt. That way you can fold it up and it serves as a doubler, only all in one. It also grows with baby as far as the rise goes!

HTH!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
Dons.Donna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9

I don't know if I would sew them down if handwashing? Not sure if you could easily get all the poopies out?

I cut mine way different than the other moms did though. It's shaped basically the same. I cut just under the neck line, using that as the waist area.

Something simular to this:

http://diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742836

I just wouldn't sew it down for handwashing. It's not that hard to fold them. I just did it for the ease.

They are very good as dipes. I kept the material all the way to the waist/bottom area of the shirt. That way you can fold it up and it serves as a doubler, only all in one. It also grows with baby as far as the rise goes!

HTH!
Thank you again Mama..i just finished repairing a couple Grobaby covers..got 2 more leg elastic repairs and then I'm off to try a Daddy flat..IF DD2 cooperates when DH heads to work tonight.