Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #31
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade Cloth-Diaper Laundry Detergent

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyojoy View Post
Same question for me. I'm doing the equal parts oxy, washing soda and borax. I'm hesitant to use dawn because of fear of suds. Any suggestions what I need to add?
I had this same fear so I started out with a small amount of Dawn and increased it as needed. Using 2 TBSP per cup of mix works well for me and when you think about it: you're only using about 1-2 TBSP of your final product per load so the amount of Dawn going in the washer is actually not much at all and it's certainly less than when you strip your diapers.

I would suggest to make a very small batch: say 1 cup of your mix with 1 TBSP of Dawn and use this to see if it cleans well for you. This is where I started, but I had to increase the Dawn bc my dipes weren't getting as clean and I could still smell a little bit of that wet dog smell at the end of the wash.

My current batch is 1c borax, 1c oxy, 1/2c washing soda, 1/2c baking soda, and 2 TBSP Dawn..... I'm really liking this combo!

Advertisement

Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #32
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

UPDATE: After much trial and error, I've noticed that using baking soda instead of washing soda works best for my super sensitive lo. The washing soda seems to clean a little better but the baking soda does well enough that I prefer it bc it's gentler.

My current batch is equal parts borax and baking soda with 2 TBSP Dawn per cup of dry mix...... ran out of oxy but I'm not missing it and everything's still coming clean so why bother making an extra trip into town for it, right?

Last edited by Servant4Christ; 08-22-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #33
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Update:
My baby's bum is SUPER RED AGAIN and I have no idea why
.........ie: detergent, food, pre-teething?
so I'm going back to my bg detergent to see if it's detergent-related.
I'm getting soooo FRUSTRATED because I haven't had any problems with my detergent in over 2 months.... or, at least, until now!
I've stripped my diapers just to er on the side of caution and he STILL is turning red!

ds is in a sposie and desitin, right now because I'm at my wits end and poor baby cries when I so much as touch him (hand, wipe, or diaper!)

Last edited by Servant4Christ; 08-27-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #34
buggylovemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My baby's bum got like this, but it was teething!!
Old 08-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #35
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggylovemama View Post
My baby's bum got like this, but it was teething!!
That's what I'm hoping this is but I don't see any other symptoms. Poor baby is hating this sposie..... cried when I put it on, then rolled onto his tummy and tucked his hands under himself and started grasping at the front of the diaper!
I've never had to deal with redness that I couldn't get rid of within 36hrs! With this, the redness starts to go away then BAM! Comes back full force and fire-engine red!

I've tried everything I can think of:

1. stripped his diapers TWICE even though I don't think this is the problem or this reaction would've shown up way before now
2. sposies and desitin
3. cloth and J&J medicated cornstrch powder
4. LOTS of naked time to the point where I've let him pee on blankets!
5. checked his diet to make sure nothing is acidic

NOTHING IS WORKING! Am I missing something, here?

I have noticed, though, (now that I think of it) ds is suddenly pooing 2-3 times a day compared to his usual once a day. Not diahrea or anything.... normal poo but def more frequently.
I'm literally changing him every hour to hour and a half because I'm so frantic to help him heal. Everytime I look at it, I just want to cry.... I feel like an abuser or something, like I somehow did this to him.

I have a sposie-friend (all her babies' ar pt'd, now) who swears by a mixture of maalox and vaseline! MAALOX and VASELINE! ..... says her pedi recommended it and she'd slather it on like diaper rash cream and it worked miracles. I'm almost desperate enough to try it (with a sposie, of course.) ALMOST. Shoot, I think if someone told me to put glitter in his diaper, I would if I knew it would absolutely work.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #36
qtytot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I have recently started making our own CD cream and body butter for DD's ezcema. Im going to try CD detergent next.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #37
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtytot View Post
Thanks for sharing your recipe. I have recently started making our own CD cream and body butter for DD's ezcema. Im going to try CD detergent next.
You make your own cd cream?! As in "for diaper rash" cream? PLEASE share your recipe or pm me with it!
I'm considering ordering some unscented cj's bc ds is getting surgery in Oct and I'll need something cd-safe along the lines of A&D ointment for post-surgery. DS despises when I put him in a sposie. He scratches at it and fusses..... he's only 8 months old!

Oh, and I figured out my lo's recent red bum is TEETHING and NOT detergent-related, thank Heaven.

Last edited by Servant4Christ; 08-31-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #38
newtocloth2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The 2 Tbsp. of Dawn, is that ultra-concentrated or non-concentrated? I was at the store yesterday but didn't know which to try. Also, does it have to be Dawn? Will a natural (Seventh Gen., Method, or similar) dish detergent work? Thanks!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #39
ecbcmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Mommy2Daniel= View Post
That's what I'm hoping this is but I don't see any other symptoms. Poor baby is hating this sposie..... cried when I put it on, then rolled onto his tummy and tucked his hands under himself and started grasping at the front of the diaper!
I've never had to deal with redness that I couldn't get rid of within 36hrs! With this, the redness starts to go away then BAM! Comes back full force and fire-engine red!

I've tried everything I can think of:

1. stripped his diapers TWICE even though I don't think this is the problem or this reaction would've shown up way before now
2. sposies and desitin
3. cloth and J&J medicated cornstrch powder
4. LOTS of naked time to the point where I've let him pee on blankets!
5. checked his diet to make sure nothing is acidic

NOTHING IS WORKING! Am I missing something, here?

I have noticed, though, (now that I think of it) ds is suddenly pooing 2-3 times a day compared to his usual once a day. Not diahrea or anything.... normal poo but def more frequently.
I'm literally changing him every hour to hour and a half because I'm so frantic to help him heal. Everytime I look at it, I just want to cry.... I feel like an abuser or something, like I somehow did this to him.

I have a sposie-friend (all her babies' ar pt'd, now) who swears by a mixture of maalox and vaseline! MAALOX and VASELINE! ..... says her pedi recommended it and she'd slather it on like diaper rash cream and it worked miracles. I'm almost desperate enough to try it (with a sposie, of course.) ALMOST. Shoot, I think if someone told me to put glitter in his diaper, I would if I knew it would absolutely work.

My dd's dr.told me something similar. I mix maalox and aquaphor. I use a fleece liner and it works like a charm . Give it a try. I keep it in the fridge between uses per dr.
ecbcmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #40
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocloth2 View Post
The 2 Tbsp. of Dawn, is that ultra-concentrated or non-concentrated? I was at the store yesterday but didn't know which to try. Also, does it have to be Dawn? Will a natural (Seventh Gen., Method, or similar) dish detergent work? Thanks!
I had to go to the kitchen and check... my Dawn is the original blue ultra concentrated. I don't know how other brands will work bc I've never tried them. I figure since the Dawn is what's used to strip dipes, it must be cd-safe which is why I use it........ that and I already have it on hand in my kitchen.