Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #51
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade Cloth-Diaper Laundry Detergent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyinwaiting72 View Post
I make my own too but have been using Dr not Dawn. I know it's known to cause buildup over time. Right now just my Microfiber towels and my BG 3.0 AIOs are smelling weird.....also my Zorb2 inserts smell off. Is this buildup? Or Ammonia? How do I tell? Just started CD'ing this summer.

How would one strip? Just dawn hot water n lots of rinses????

My GroVia soakers and cotton prefolds are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum App
Dr? I haven't heard of this brand.
I use Dawn specifically because it's used when stripping so I know it's safe. Microfiber is always tougher to clean and keep buildup away. I used microfiber when ds was itty bitty but found he's allergic so we do not use it anymore.

To strip: wash in hot water with Dawn and a little bleach. Since I started using my recipe (3 or 4 months, now) I haven't had to strip my diapers due to buildup yet. I've only stripped them once and it was recently, bc ds had a yeast infection from something he ate...gerber babyfood bananas w/ STRAWBERRIES!

As for ammonia: that's a very distinct smell! Think about cat pee smell... something like that. Or even the smell of pee diapers in the pail for more than a couple of days..... it's THAT distinct.

If you notice your diapers smell a little musty after washing like "wet dog" then you didn't use enough detergent. This can lead to baby getting a bacterial infection or yeast infection.

Buildup isn't always as easily noticable, though... suddenly your diapers don't absorb as much or as well and you get more leaks even though the soaker portion isn't saturated.

Hope this info helps.

Advertisement

Last edited by Servant4Christ; 09-14-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #52
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

I'm also curious if this homemade detergent needs a water softening agent to work well. Anybody use Calgon with it?

Also, what does it SMELL like? Fresh-like? Chemical-y? Like nothing?

I have a front loader and soft water, have others used this recipe in a front loader with success? I have all natural material diapers and PUL covers/pockets.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #53
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamommy View Post
I'm also curious if this homemade detergent needs a water softening agent to work well. Anybody use Calgon with it?

Also, what does it SMELL like? Fresh-like? Chemical-y? Like nothing?

I have a front loader and soft water, have others used this recipe in a front loader with success? I have all natural material diapers and PUL covers/pockets.
I know nothing about soft water but when the laundry is done, you should smell nothing.... no stink, no fragrance.... nothing at all. However, the detergent itself (especially while mixing a fresh batch) is strong. I have a sensitive sniffer and borax has a strong smell, imo.
If I'm correct, soft water tends to super suds, right? If so, I strongly suggest making the mix WITHOUT the dawn and experiment with how much you add at wash time until you figure out the best working combo for you. Otherwise, you may end up with an entire batch of unusable detergent. Since you're using a frontloader, maybe 2 tsp dry mix with 1/2 tsp dawn to start? Adjusting the amount of Dawn needed for your specific washer and water type seems to be the key factor with this recipe.
Wish I could be more helpful but I haven't rcv'd enough feedback as far as what water type and washer type other mamas have used my recipe with and had success.

Last edited by Servant4Christ; 09-14-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #54
Ladyinwaiting72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

By Dr... I inadvertent ly left off Bronners. I've been using Dr Bronners. 1-2t per Lg ld of water with equal mixture of washing soda/borax (1/4c). Splash of bleach every mow n then. 1/4c approx,

I do think it's ammonia! When I opened the dryer it smelled like pee! ;(. This after using All Small n mighty (free n clear) for a week!

Last edited by Ladyinwaiting72; 09-20-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Ladyinwaiting72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #55
Ladyinwaiting72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sorry to see you go,....I only saw your post because I was looking for your original recipe. You deleted it?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum App
Ladyinwaiting72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #56
rayne
Registered Users
seller

How do you stip your diapers?
rayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #57
BabyCentric
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The original iirc was 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup oxy, 1 cup borax, 2 tbsp dawn ultra
Old 09-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #58
JamesWife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For the first 6mos I cded, I made my own using 1c borax, 1c washing soda, 1/2c oxyclean and it worked pretty well but I had to strip every few weeks and now with this change to Tide Ultra I have had to add Calgon so I think that might have fixed the problem with the homemade stuff. I have hard well water. I loved the smell of the dipes when I was using it though, everything came out smelling so fresh and clean. Not alot of fragrance like with Tide. I had a separate batch I made for hubby's work clothes that included a bar of Fels Naptha laundry soap that I grated and then dried out before adding to the detergent mix. It worked well at getting all the oil, sweat and grime out.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #59
BusyMamaBof3
Banned
seller

My Mood:

The detergent both liquid and powder are easy to make I like both-I have noticed the key is to use much less on the diapers and even on clothing than you would with usual detergent. The mixture id washing soda/soap and borax the amounts depend on how much you want and whether it is liquid or powder. I now think I like powder more because you can use different types of bar soap. =)
Good luck mamas!
BusyMamaBof3 is offline   Reply With Quote