Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Would you buy girl's shoes for your boy?

Strange question, maybe, but we took my 2 yo DS shoe shopping the other day and he found some cute hot pink sequened mary janes with pink bows that he LOVED. LOL. I thought it was hilarious when he screamed, "NOOOOO!!!" when I tried to put the boy's shoes on him... I let him try on the pink shoes and, with the necklaces that he pulled off the rack and put on, he was definitely the happiest boy in the store. FWIW, I finally talked him into trying on the boy's shoes with the promise that we'd try the pink ones again afterward.

So, since we were buying shoes for the new Baptist Mother's Day Out/Preschool he'll be starting soon, I did not buy the pink shoes - although I *really* considered it for a minute. Is that weird?? I'm just afraid the school wouldn't allow it (I think Baptists are pretty anti-gender-bending?), therefore it would be pointless to spend the dough...

DH and I concluded that it's not really fair that it's socially OK for a girl to wear boy's shoes/clothes but not OK for a boy to wear girl's stuff. What do you think?

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you buy girl's shoes for your boy?

I would probably buy a used pair from a yard sale or something just to let DS wear them around the house (playing dress up) but I probaby wouldn't spend good $$ on girl shoes for my son.

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I personally probably no. But that is just me.
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
No, i wouldnt. Not that style. Maybe girls section sneakrers if they were pretty neutral.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

if he were so in love with them then sure why not? but I am pretty sure my husband would have a huge problem with it
Old 08-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I came very close to buying DS a pair of Dora sneakers that were pink and flowery. But they didn't have his size. I did buy him a dress at a consignment shop though. He really really likes girly stuff, what can I say? His older sister wears dresses and pink shoes all the time, and he thinks her stuff is great. He would rather wear her patent leather mary janes but he's not allowed to wear her nice shoes outside. He does wear her pink crocs sometimes but they are way too big.

I really don't care. And I don't care what other people think. He's 2. He thinks it's pretty, or whatever. It's our society that says it's abnormal for a boy to wear pink, but WHY? Why does that matter? It's a color, or a flower, or whatever. Sparkles are pretty, I don't blame him for liking them!
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWillow View Post
I came very close to buying DS a pair of Dora sneakers that were pink and flowery. But they didn't have his size. I did buy him a dress at a consignment shop though. He really really likes girly stuff, what can I say? His older sister wears dresses and pink shoes all the time, and he thinks her stuff is great. He would rather wear her patent leather mary janes but he's not allowed to wear her nice shoes outside. He does wear her pink crocs sometimes but they are way too big.

I really don't care. And I don't care what other people think. He's 2. He thinks it's pretty, or whatever. It's our society that says it's abnormal for a boy to wear pink, but WHY? Why does that matter? It's a color, or a flower, or whatever. Sparkles are pretty, I don't blame him for liking them!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would & have. My son knows he's a boy. Last time he checked, he still had a little wormy down there. Shoes are shoes, nothing more. Drives me crazy when people decide they do imply something else. I wore plenty of boy stuff in the day, and I'm straight. I think there's a double standard for boys & girls stuff. Girls can wear boy shoes and nobody says a word. A boy wears Dora shoes and suddenly he's gay at age 2!

What??!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwiamandaiwi View Post
Exactly.

I think the squeaky shoe coop is opening soon either here or somewhere else..can't remember. You could get him a pair of these sparkly shoes. DD has the pink ones and they are awesome..she also has pink sparkly tennis shoes

$6.95
Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
Exactly.

I think the squeaky shoe coop is opening soon either here or somewhere else..can't remember. You could get him a pair of these sparkly shoes. DD has the pink ones and they are awesome..she also has pink sparkly tennis shoes

$6.95
OMG! These are perfect! and cheap Where can I get more info about the coop?