Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #21
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Would you buy girl's shoes for your boy?

Honestly, I'd prob try to talk him out of it or into a pair that was a little less glaring (but I'd do that for DD too). However, if he LOVED them, they filled the need he had for shoes (ie if we're shopping for sandals, they would have to be sandals) and wouldn't be persuaded otherwise, then yes, I would buy them for him.

I dont believe that letting a kid dress in the way they want to dress will make them "gay", etc. I want my child to be whoever s/he wants to be. If that means that DD wants spiderman shoes or DS wants pink glitter shoes w/ bows, then so be it.

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #22
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
I dont think it is mean to tell your son he cant wear mary janes with sequins. Now from a different perspective if I knew the child was transgendered it would not bother me. And yes kids can be transgendered. I dont think putting my son in a tutu and pretty shoes will make him gay. He will be gay no matter what we do. People are born gay, not made gay. Just like sometimes I have to say no to certain clothing items because they are too short or revealing, or have characters we dont like, sometimes certain cothing items in the boys section that my DD wants are just not going to happen. Being gay and transgendered are completely different things. You can make someone either of them.

Is it going to hurt him to wear girls shoes, no. Just a preference really. Again, if the childs gender was in question then I would not have a problem with it.

We think my 5 year old dd is transgendered, she only dresses like a boy, wears boys unders and has a buzz cut. Today she wants to be called Ozzy. And we let her wear what she wants as long as it follows our rules of dress. I wouldnt buy her anything with guns or violence on it etc. My son is not transgendered or interested in girls shoes and clothes, so therefore I have no reason to buy them for him. i am not purposely going to go buy him a princess dress. I just dont see the point.

I also dont put up with kids crying for anything at the store, so if a stink was raised over any pair of shoes, or clothes or toys, i would have walked out with nothing.
Totally makes sense. I wouldn't have gotten DS a dress if he hadn't asked for one, or hadn't been wearing the only dress of DD's that fit him. I wouldn't buy him Dora shoes unless he really really wanted them.

It's really cool that you allow your DD to be who she is.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #23
firstimemommy44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If my son really wanted them sure I'd buy them for him

My swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ellen44
firstimemommy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #24
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I would, esp for a 2 yr old! my 13 yr old, at age, I dunno 10? found a pair of girl's vans that he LOVED. they were black and purple and I only knew they were girls shoes bc they said it on the box, I told him they were girls shoes, he said he didn't care, so therefore, I didn't care....I have also bought my boys women's running shoes bc they were way cheaper .
Old 08-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #25
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not sure I would buy them but then again I'm pretty sure I would not buy them for my daughter either. Sparkly pink mary janes sound pretty impractical for our life and just not my style. I would try to steer him away from them as I would with DD as well. I would then give him some neutral options that would match more things. Now if we were talking about slippers or play shoes or something then sure whatever. I wouldn't be happy about it though since I don't like pink. Red, rainbow, purple anything else would be fine.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #26
aldermother
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If your baby wants them and you worry about the public opinion, even letting him wear them at home may be problematic, as we all know the tantrums that might ensue when you ask a two-year-old to take them off or choose another pair to go out in!!!
We're a CDing (potty-learned), co-sleeping (bunk beds), extended BFing (weaned), baby-wearing (big boy-wearing), non-circing, Waldorf loving, tree-hugging, hand-me-downs-welcome Earth friendly family!
PT preschool teacher& FT Mama to my beautiful tree & our little growing sapling

Last edited by aldermother; 08-12-2011 at 02:59 PM.
aldermother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #27
aldermother
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're a CDing (potty-learned), co-sleeping (bunk beds), extended BFing (weaned), baby-wearing (big boy-wearing), non-circing, Waldorf loving, tree-hugging, hand-me-downs-welcome Earth friendly family!
PT preschool teacher& FT Mama to my beautiful tree & our little growing sapling

Last edited by aldermother; 08-12-2011 at 02:59 PM.
aldermother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #28
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Yes. I remember my little cousin, who is now 20 yrs old, fell in love with The Little Mermaid when he was 3 or 4. So, he HAD to have the the Little Mermaid shoes. We still pick on him about it sometimes.
But, at the time, everyone around him thought it was so cute- and it was.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #29
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nope no way.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #30
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I can't stand sequins LOL! But recently DS wanted a pair of lavender shoes and he carried them around the store for a while then decided he wanted red ones. If they are good shoes, I don't care what color they are. I'm not going to tell my son that he can't wear girly stuff.