Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #41
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you buy girl's shoes for your boy?

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here

No, I wouldn't. I buy gender specific items for my kids, although I wouldn't look twice at seeing another parent do the exact opposite. I do not believe that pink is only for girls, though. My son has a few really nice pink polo and button up shirts (that were sold in the boys' section) that I think he looks so handsome in. I just won't go out of my way to buy something, for the opposite gender, that I know my kids won't use past the initial excitement stage. He would wear the shoes once just for kicks and giggles, and then that would be the last of it.

However, if I believed one of my kids were truly transgendered, that's an entirely different scenario that I would approach in an entirely different way.

Advertisement

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #42
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

In general, no I wouldn't. I wouldn't mind wasting some money on my kid, that is why I work, but still in general, no.

If DS was totally in love with them (I have seen him look at some Dora shoes like that), maybe especially if they were some TV character type thing. I think most people understand kids like their TV shows and they are not usually doing some gender blending thing.

But they would be shoes meant to be worn at home or for casual outings. I would not buy them for a religious affiliated activity or for some specifically dressed up time.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #43
MyLovely
Registered Users

If they weren't expensive, sure. They're just clothes. I don't see how it's "specifically going out of the way" to prove a point or something. If you're at Target and pass by the shoe section and they see the pink sparkly ones and love them, why not?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #44
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Of course, if that was what my son wanted. Tharen happens to own a pair of girls shoes because those were the ones he wanted. They are awesome!!!! They are Osiris Becky Bones shoes have rainbows and sparkles on them. Honestly I hate girls shoes with a passion usually but if these came in my size I would buy them. That is how cool these are (and I usually only buy converse or Docs except for my work boots).

He has been wearing them for a year now. The stitching is all rainbow and there are sparkles all over the front. I love them. He also has bright pink Hello Kitty slippers, Hello Kitty shirts, and a bunch of Hello Kitty socks. He has a thing for Hello Kitty. Last year for Christmas his list said "Everything Hello Kitty in the ENTIRE WORLD" LOL. He is a funny guy.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #45
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110
Of course, if that was what my son wanted. Tharen happens to own a pair of girls shoes because those were the ones he wanted. They are awesome!!!! They are Osiris Becky Bones shoes have rainbows and sparkles on them. Honestly I hate girls shoes with a passion usually but if these came in my size I would buy them. That is how cool these are (and I usually only buy converse or Docs except for my work boots).

He has been wearing them for a year now. The stitching is all rainbow and there are sparkles all over the front. I love them. He also has bright pink Hello Kitty slippers, Hello Kitty shirts, and a bunch of Hello Kitty socks. He has a thing for Hello Kitty. Last year for Christmas his list said "Everything Hello Kitty in the ENTIRE WORLD" LOL. He is a funny guy.
Awesome shoes. I think they look pretty nuetral on him.

And hello kitty rocks! Lol. I have hello kitty everything too.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #46
Monkeytaylz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think I would buy either of my sons any color of Mary Janes to be honest. But my 7 yr old ds does love Hello KItty...he likes anything with kittys/cats. And I found a shirt that is pink that I am going to upcycle for my 2 yr old ds...it says "Tough Enough To Wear Pink"!
Monkeytaylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #47
nalazimbala
Registered Users
seller

The shoe thing hasn't come up but DS who is 22m LOVES to wear DD's bows in his hair and her dance outfits with the tutu's
Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #48
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no, i would not spend money on pink sequined shoes because my 2 year old boy wanted them. not in a million years. but that's just me, i don't care what others do.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #49
alice_hallett
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerica View Post
I would probably buy a used pair from a yard sale or something just to let DS wear them around the house (playing dress up) but I probaby wouldn't spend good $$ on girl shoes for my son.
This is what I would do.
alice_hallett is offline   Reply With Quote