Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Vacationing in cloth

We're going on vacation in a few weeks and I'm trying to decide what to do. We have a stash of pockets right now and I can't decide if I want to take them or not. I thought about doing something like Grovia or Flip for vacationing since we could use disposable inserts, but I don't want to buy more diapers just for that purpose.

So, here's the kicker. We're staying with friends of mine while we're on vacation. They have 2 kids (3 yr old and almost 2 month old) and don't cloth diaper. I can't decide if I should ask if they would mind if I washed DS' diapers while we're there? I could wash them all before we leave, but would need to do probably about 2 washes while we're there. We're leaving Monday night and driving overnight so DS can sleep, and then will probably leave Friday night to come home and do the same. I mean, the worst they can say is no, and we'll just do sposies.

So, would you ask a friend if you were in this situation?? My other fear is not knowing what kind of washer they have (top loader, front loader, etc) so I'm afraid I wouldn't know what kind of wash/rinse to do??

WWYD??

Advertisement

lauren_brooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
kferg
Registered Users

Re: Vacationing in cloth

If it's a close friend then I would ask but I would make sure they knew that there was no pressure and if they said no you wouldn't be mad. This way they don't feel like they HAVE to let you if they aren't really comfortable with it. If she says yes then I'm sure she'll be willing to help you figure out washer setting and if she says no then you could always go to a laundromat.
Personally I do disposable when I'm on trips but if that's not an option then it doesn't hurt to ask. The worst she can do is say no.
kferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If I were in your situation I'd probably plan to CD'er. I'd ask your friends beforehand to make sure they're comfortable with it. I know some people think washing dirty diapers are weird, but maybe they won't have a problem with it, and if they do, maybe they'll just have some questions for you or something. And then you could also find out what kind of washing machine they have so you know what to plan for.

But yeah, if you're staying somewhere with a washer and dryer and you don't have to worry about the space CDs will take up in your luggage then I'd definitely CD'er if possible!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! Stefibeth-I just saw your similar post and was reading the comments on there as well.

It's a VERY close friend! Her husband was my youth pastor in high school, and we've remained incredible close over the years. She's almost more like a big sister (my brother is 10 years older, and that's the difference between her and I). I would definitely let her know that there's no pressure and that if they're not comfortable with it, it's totally fine! I'm actually kind of scared to try sposies, because the one night we used one to do a red bum, DS peed all out of it and it was a mess! I'm working on growing my stash some so I might only have to wash once (just don't want to go too long between washes). I think I'll ask her, and if they say no, then we'll just do sposies. Who knows, maybe she'll think our diapers are cute and will want to try them for her little girl
Old 08-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Soph's Mom
Registered Users

You may take flats instead.... I take cloth to my mother's house and have plenty for the weekend but run low if I don't bring three bags worth for a week. I use the flour sack towels a lot bc you can hand wash them in a sink and either hang dry them or throw them in a dryer. They're cheap to get a bunch of too.

My mother has a front loader and I hate the process of washing dipes in there bc you have to add water etc.

cloth diapering, baby-led weaning, co-sleeping, babywearing yet fairly non-crunchy momma to DD born at 35 wks 09/10
Soph's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

If they'd rather you not use their washer, if you don't have enough CDs to get you through the week, you could always use sposies the first couple of days, then use your CDs. That way you aren't having to use sposies all week.

And you don't necessarily have to add water to a front loader. I've had one for over a year and I've never added water.
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
jojoreta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would ask! If they're close enough that you're staying with them then they would probably let you wash dipes. We asked my step dad and he said sure! So did my dads wife who hates kids messes.
jojoreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Agreeing with pp's, ask, the worst she can do is say no. Flats are SOOO easy to do! you can hand wash or even rinse in the sink, and then maybe she'll let you wash if you get the poop off. You only need to wash the covers if they get poop on them, otherwise just wipe them down. Super easy to handwash, I've had to. And you can boil them to make sure you got all the nasties out. Easier to clean a pot than a washer if that's her concern. I've used the flour sack towels but find I have to double them up to get good leak protection. I mainly use receiving blankets, I don't actually own any "real" flat diapers. HTH!
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All I have are pockets though...so could i use flats with those? Or would i have to get covers?? I would like to not have to really buy anything else if I don't have to. But I also want to make it easy for us, and for them if they do say we can wash at their house.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
lvnurs9
Registered Users
seller

I use Fishnoodles/Bright Star Baby. I took the shells and used Grovia sposie inserts. Worked like a charm Those inserts are super absorbant too! Held up 12 hours overnight!