Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
kitkatkc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Bug bites-allergy?

Can my daughter be allergic to mosquitos? I know that the bite causes a hystimine reaction in most people, but does it effect some people more? My daughter was outside a couple nights ago, and ended up with probably 25 really bad bites, and the other kids weren't effected at all. She was only out for maybe an hour. The bites are bad, too, quite large and somewhat hard to the touch. I have been putting benadryl on them a couple times a day, but it doesn't seem to help much. For the future I have put bug spray in the diaper bag, but I feel just horrible about how bad she must feel right now. Is this an unusual reaction? We weren't in a really buggy area. Is there anything else I could do for the bites? Would oatmeal bath help?

Advertisement

kitkatkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bug bites-allergy?

Yes she can absolutely be allergic to bug bites. My BFF is extremely allergic and when she gets one they get rock hard and huge! We're talking half dollar size welts. And for some reason mosquitos like me more than most people. I can go out for 10 minutes and get 15 bites and noone else gets any! I would actually give her a dose of benedryl and see if it helps. An oatmeal bath certainly couldn't hurt. Make sure she doesn't scratch them or they can become infected and just cause more problems. Keep them clean and they should start to go away in a couple days. They make some excellent natrual bug repellents now so I would definitely spray her down when she goes out, or make sure she wears long sleeves/pants.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
My 13 year old is highly allergic to them. Thankfully where we live now there are no mosquitos, but when we lived in chicago we had to be very careful.

I would give benedryl orally. And keep them clean. Bug bites in kids that are allergic can quickly become infected and cause cellulitis. My dd had it bad when she was 2 and was hospitalized for stong antibiotics.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatkc View Post
Can my daughter be allergic to mosquitos? I know that the bite causes a hystimine reaction in most people, but does it effect some people more? My daughter was outside a couple nights ago, and ended up with probably 25 really bad bites, and the other kids weren't effected at all. She was only out for maybe an hour. The bites are bad, too, quite large and somewhat hard to the touch. I have been putting benadryl on them a couple times a day, but it doesn't seem to help much. For the future I have put bug spray in the diaper bag, but I feel just horrible about how bad she must feel right now. Is this an unusual reaction? We weren't in a really buggy area. Is there anything else I could do for the bites? Would oatmeal bath help?
Oh yes. You can be allergic to bug bites. Mosquitoes and black flies leave softball sized welts on me.

You can also get an allergic reaction to bug bites if you have mosquito spraying in your area. The reaction is from the insecticide in the bugs who survived the spraying. I remember a bunch of us had that problem years ago when I lived in Boston and honestly my reaction to bug bites has been worse ever since even if I don't live in a place that sprays.

It is one of the reasons I don't care for the summer. It means a constant wearing of bug screen the entire time the temperature is above 50 degrees. I started making my own for that exact reason. I also put on a paste of baking soda and water. It helps dry out the welt and if I don't itch it again, it is gone in a day or so.

Good luck!

Last edited by JAG's baby mama; 08-07-2011 at 01:34 PM.
JAG's baby mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
regenolds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids all reacted badly to them until they were about 3. A couple even got fevers after getting a lot of bites. Our backyard sucks. I need to figure out a nontoxic way to get rid of them! The older ones don't get big welts anymore, just normal sized bumps.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
kitkatkc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We ended up giving her benedryl to help with the itching and just so she wouldn't scratch herself all night, and they are slowly going away. But I now have bug repellant in my car and diaper bag.
Good to know about the baking soda and water paste- I thought that I had heard that before, but didn't try it because I wasn't sure.
Thanks for the advice, at least I know I'm not crazy!

kitkatkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
ashtonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my ods is very sensitive to them!!!! i say allergic. i will try post a picture later of some of his. some of the turn bigger then my whole and with fingers spread!!! terrible