Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
MamaBird06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
flats...gerber vs. osocozy vs blankets vs flour sacks..

I want to try flats to see if it helps with stink issues but don't want to spend much more money on cloth. I have only tried old flannel blankets which are still bulky. I have an amazon giftcard and was thinking Gerber or osocozy or flour sack towels from Walmart. Suggestions please.

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
katedanzer
Good things come in small packages
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: flats...gerber vs. osocozy vs blankets vs flour sacks..

I like the flour sacks from Sams club. They're bigger, so I can get a longer rise w/ as many layers as prefold. They are much trimmer then folded receiving blankets. I'd say 1/2 the thickness and hold my 1 & 5 year old for 3-hours. I have to double them overnight, but even doubled they are not thicker then a flannel blanket. If you have a heavy wetter, you'll need a doubler either a preemie prefold or cheapie Gerber flat works well.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
7yrslater
Registered Users
seller

Of the three you mention I'd go with osocozy. I own all three. The gerber flats are really really thin and the threads are far apart so the weave is loose. I actually bought these because we were out and I'd left my nursing cover at home. Since it's about a billion degrees here, I needed something light that wouldn't smother her while she nursed. I would never use them as an actual diaper. Maybe the weave closes up after you wash? I don't know. The flour sacks work fine, they are just thinner than the osocozy IMO. I'm not sure how much the osocozy cost because I bought mine tie dyed but they are my favorite. The edges stay flat--unlike the flour and ikea flats. The wrinkly edges are kind of a pet peeve of mine...
Old 08-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've only used flannel blankets and flour sack towels and I really love them. I thought the blankets were pretty bulky too until I found the perfect fold for us. I use the diaperbag fold and a new one that a ds mom came up with, airplane fold. Origami works great too without much bulk. Flour sack towels are thin but work ok alone. I either double them or add a nb pf if I want dd to last a few hours in them.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
wmurillo410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yrslater
Of the three you mention I'd go with osocozy. I own all three. The gerber flats are really really thin and the threads are far apart so the weave is loose. I actually bought these because we were out and I'd left my nursing cover at home. Since it's about a billion degrees here, I needed something light that wouldn't smother her while she nursed. I would never use them as an actual diaper. Maybe the weave closes up after you wash? I don't know. The flour sacks work fine, they are just thinner than the osocozy IMO. I'm not sure how much the osocozy cost because I bought mine tie dyed but they are my favorite. The edges stay flat--unlike the flour and ikea flats. The wrinkly edges are kind of a pet peeve of mine...
This would be my exact review and I've got the same per peve with the wrinkly edges.

Sent from my HTC HD...my phone is to thank for typos.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
mimihol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love my osocozy flats and have tried all of these. they are softer, wash up better and overall hold up better
mimihol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
monkeybunns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have osocozy, ikea, and flour sack, oh and homemade flannel (so similar to receiving blanket). I like Ikea the most but the osocozy are a bit bigger (they're kind of rectangular). My flannel are absorbent but don't always like snappis. I like flannel and ikea the best if I'm using in a pocket. The ikea ones are way absorbent. I wish I had more!

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum-sometimes my iPod thinks it's a better speller than me...