Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
ktmelody
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,304
My Mood:
S/O of sorts....anyone raising a transgendered child, or gender confused child?

Just wondering if there any mamas raising gender confused, GID or a transgendered child?

Or If you are transgendered or have GiD?

Just wondering what you deal with, how you handle certain things, like dress, hair cuts, school settings etc.

FWIW my 6 year old DD is likely gender confused, could be transgendered. I guess it is just so early to make any kind of call on it. But wanted to see how other families were dealing.

Apparently it is a MUCH bigger deal if your son wants to dress like a girl, as all the articles I see are pertaining to boys wanting to be girls. But what about girls that want to be boys!?

Have a feeling we wont see too many mamas dealing with this or willing to admit it.

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
TalkinBoutMyGirl's Avatar
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 13,180
My Mood:
Hope you find someone who you can talk to about this

Sent from my iPhone...excuse any autocorrect mishaps!
__________________
Anna - Gazelle intense with mywife Rachel and Hailey (6) our little
Swag with Me!
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
crazylife's Avatar
crazylife
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,559
My Mood:
Re: S/O of sorts....anyone raising a transgendered child, or gender confused child?

Just curious what she does that makes you think she's gender confused vs. 'just going through a phase'? The reason I ask is because about 8-10 yrs ago when my niece was little she went from 'typical' girl to everything boy. Dressed like one, wanted a haircut just like her dad's, loved to be mistaken for a boy, talked about being a boy/wishing she was one. Anyway it lasted for a solid year/year and a half but then she just kind of grew out of it, and now is a very typical 16yo. Sorry, probably not really close to what you're experiencing but it just popped in my head when I read your post.

I've seen some really good shows on Oprah where she's interviewed young guests (and older) who had to struggle with gender identity and how they overcame it.
__________________
Happily unmarried mama of 3 (sometimes 4 when SO forgets his age) and some of those other funky acronyms mamas use here...
"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better." Maya Angelou
!!PRESHUUS!!
crazylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Zepp's Avatar
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 7,272
My Mood:
Re: S/O of sorts....anyone raising a transgendered child, or gender confused child?

What makes you think that she is transgendered or gender confused? For what it's worth, I would readily admit if mine was. She's definitely not a girly girl in any sense of the word and typically wears shorts or leggings, but does prefer pink and purple to other colors and when given the option of barbie or something more boyish, will pick barbie.
__________________
mama of two lovely kids!
Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
ktmelody
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,304
My Mood:
Good questions. First off we are now on year 2 of the behavior, so its a mighty long phase if so. Lol

Second, she only wears boys clothes, boys underwear, has a buzz cut, and wants to be called Henry. She has also expressed desire to go to the bathroom outside like her brother, or standing up. She rarely plays with girl toys, and plays swords and sheilds, zelda pretend, cars etc. She wants people to believe she is a boy and not a girl. Down to wanting to trick tbe nieghbor boys that she is a boy.

She doesnt go to school and will not (we are chartering at home) but we asked what kind of clothes she would want to wear to school if she was going and she said boy clothes.

Doesnt bother me at all really, just wanted to connect with other parents who may be going through the same thing, especially with a daughter. Most of everything I google is boys wanting to be girls....which is doenst pertain really to our situation. Lol.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
USMCgirl_05
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,297
My Mood:
Re: S/O of sorts....anyone raising a transgendered child, or gender confused child?

I saw a show about this on Discovery Health it was all about younger kids who were either transgendered or gender confused...the parents had a support group and everything! These were kids who were being "allowed" to live as the gender they identified with obviously, not ones who were being forced to live as their physical sex.

Anyways they were talking about extended therapy and whether or not to delay puberty in the child until they were old enough to make the choice whether to take hormones so they could live as a woman/man. I thought it was pretty interesting. And it would definitely suck to have to go through puberty as the wrong sex too!
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Kätzchen's Avatar
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody
Just wondering if there any mamas raising gender confused, GID or a transgendered child?

Or If you are transgendered or have GiD?

Just wondering what you deal with, how you handle certain things, like dress, hair cuts, school settings etc.

FWIW my 6 year old DD is likely gender confused, could be transgendered. I guess it is just so early to make any kind of call on it. But wanted to see how other families were dealing.

Apparently it is a MUCH bigger deal if your son wants to dress like a girl, as all the articles I see are pertaining to boys wanting to be girls. But what about girls that want to be boys!?

Have a feeling we wont see too many mamas dealing with this or willing to admit it.
I'll fess up. I grew up as a gender confused child. I went to a private catholic school and was forced into those 'cute' little school dresses it was awful on me, I was depressed, suicidal, a mess, really. When I turned 12, I finally made some friends, I slowly became more comfortable with myself and transitioned into who I am today . My advice, let her do what she wants hobby wise, clothing wise, hair wise. Don't make a big deal out of it, pretty simple. I think now a days, it's even more acceptable than when I was a kid. Relax, let her do her own thing. :]

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011
__________________
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
ktmelody
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,304
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen

I'll fess up. I grew up as a gender confused child. I went to a private catholic school and was forced into those 'cute' little school dresses it was awful on me, I was depressed, suicidal, a mess, really. When I turned 12, I finally made some friends, I slowly became more comfortable with myself and transitioned into who I am today . My advice, let her do what she wants hobby wise, clothing wise, hair wise. Don't make a big deal out of it, pretty simple. I think now a days, it's even more acceptable than when I was a kid. Relax, let her do her own thing. :]

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011
Yup, thats what we are doing. Right now she is sporting a buzz cut, cargo shorts, a heartbreaker tshirt and pink converse...

She is getting to the age where people ask questions, so how to handle those are going to be difficult. Just twice this week people said what a cute little boy we have. We just said, she is a girl and moved on. Lol.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
AcrossTheUniverse's Avatar
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arizona!
Posts: 5,026
My Mood:
Re: S/O of sorts....anyone raising a transgendered child, or gender confused child?

I think my DD2 might be, but she is just barely going to be 4. For the past 2 years she has worn boy clothes, wanted her hair cut short like a boy, and wants to play with "typically" boy toys. She actually likes to play with and relate to her 2yo brother moreso than her 5yo sister who is SUPER girly (like, wear a dress everyday girly). She even picked out her own bedding and it was Pixar's Cars themed. At this point I don't know if it is just a phase or if it could possibly be a Gender Identity thing. If it is, I wouldn't care at all and my plan is just to go with flow and let her dress how she wants, play how she wants, etc...

The reason I am starting to lean more towards it being a Gender Identity thing is because as she has gotten more verbal she likes to call herself a boy and she even asked me why she doesn't have boy parts like her brother. The most recent thing she has done is tell everyone her name is Mark (and not Mara).

She is so young though, so I am not going to label her as anything. I'll let her figure it out for herself as she gets older and I'll support her in whatever ways I can.
__________________
Heather, wife to James & mommy to:
Jaden (8.06), Mara (8.07), Fenn (5.09),
Elias (7.10), & Levi (11.11) 80lbs lost!
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 16,918
Re: S/O of sorts....anyone raising a transgendered child, or gender confused child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Good questions. First off we are now on year 2 of the behavior, so its a mighty long phase if so. Lol

Second, she only wears boys clothes, boys underwear, has a buzz cut, and wants to be called Henry. She has also expressed desire to go to the bathroom outside like her brother, or standing up. She rarely plays with girl toys, and plays swords and sheilds, zelda pretend, cars etc. She wants people to believe she is a boy and not a girl. Down to wanting to trick tbe nieghbor boys that she is a boy.


She doesnt go to school and will not (we are chartering at home) but we asked what kind of clothes she would want to wear to school if she was going and she said boy clothes.

Doesnt bother me at all really, just wanted to connect with other parents who may be going through the same thing, especially with a daughter. Most of everything I google is boys wanting to be girls....which is doenst pertain really to our situation. Lol.
sounds like me as a kid I remember one time at a family get together (I was a young teen), my male cousin thought I was my sisters boyfriend! As a kid I was very boyish. In HS I only wore camo, had a shaved head, listened to metal, and wrote goth poetry. In college I slowly started transitioning (started dating dh), and now I'm pretty neutral. I'm happily married to dh, but I still loathe girly stuff like makeup, jewelery etc. My parents are super conservative, but I appreciate that they left me alone, and didn't push 'girl' on me.

My 5 yr old dd is the same way as I was-she wears her brothers clothes, wants her hair short, only plays with 'boy' toys, and swears she's going to be in a rock band someday. It drives my mil crazy (super feminine), but I'm letting my dd be who she is, and she'll figure life out, on her own terms, like I did.

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 08-07-2011 at 05:09 PM.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.