Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is it possible...?

My DH and I decided to figure out the carseat issue in our '97 Altima today as we will have three kiddos heading to school in the AM's with me once the school year begins. We have a Kindergartner DD2 (almost 5), a First grader DS (6.5), and a 3rd grader DD1 (8.5). We decided to start with our Radian 80 in the center ff and try to accomodate the booster seats on either side...we have Britax parkway fb and a Harmony bb. The Radian install was super easy (to my surprise) and it is a good fit, but we had a really hard time getting two boosters in with it...the kids cannot access their buckles because the seats are too flush with each other. In desperation we had my son try the Harmony and he could do it by himself. My 3rd grader waited in the empty seat for us to figure something out....and I noticed that her knees bend at the edge of the seat now!! I told her to try the buckle and it seems to fit appropriately also.

So....my question is....is it possible that my daughter is the right size for the adult seatbelt in the Altima, but still a bit too small for the one in the Toyota Sienna?? To me it seems like her legs don't have the right placement in the captains chairs in the van....plus her booster fits so we continue to have her use it. What do you ladies think??

Advertisement

(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is it possible...?

Double-check the FF radian installation. It is incompatible with my 99 altima, now yours is slightly different, but I'd be surprised if the incompatibility is not an issue for you. Remember that you don't only need to check side-side movement, but also front-back. When we tried it in my car, it was rock solid side-side, but slid forward maybe 6" with a gentle tug.

Anyway, to answer your booster question, it is common for children to pass the 5 step test in some cars before others.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, it's totally possible for a child to 5-step in 1 car before the others. I would think a smaller car like an older Altima would allow a child to 5-step WAY before the captains chairs of a Sienna.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
Double-check the FF radian installation. It is incompatible with my 99 altima, now yours is slightly different, but I'd be surprised if the incompatibility is not an issue for you. Remember that you don't only need to check side-side movement, but also front-back. When we tried it in my car, it was rock solid side-side, but slid forward maybe 6" with a gentle tug.

Anyway, to answer your booster question, it is common for children to pass the 5 step test in some cars before others.
Ah, good to know. I will go try it right now. I should mention that we installed with the lap belt only as that is all we have in the center seat. But I will go out and try it....I will say it was a pain to get that belt tightened enough.

ETA: And there is nowhere for the tether to attach....boo!

Old 08-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

You can get retrofit tether anchors installed for the outboard positions which I realize doesn't really help you at this time. The Radian did perform well untethered in testing.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok, just went and gave it a good yank...and almost broke a nail. It is NOT moving....I want to say this is one of the best installs we have had on the Radian, especially with a seatbelt. (Reminds me of how our Britax seats used to install). Maybe it is because my DH tightened it, but it is definitely not going anywhere.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Good! You can get a top tether anchor added, your owner's manual should have the part number. Order the part from a Nissan dealer and you can install it yourself. IIRC the part is ~$30.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

The part number is 88894-89900.