Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
potty training regression ON PURPOSE!! WWYD?

2 1/2 yo DD has been potty trained for probably a month now. She wears a diaper at night, but wasn't having accidents during the day. Lately, like the last 3 days, she is peeing in her underwear. On purpose. Like she enjoys peeing herself. I don't want to go back to pull ups. At first, I thought it was just an accident, no biggie. But it's becoming clear that she's doing it on purpose, as it's getting more frequent & she told me she did it on purpose. I tried rinsing her off with a cold shower to hopefully make it uncomfortable to get cleaned up - she giggled & said it tickled. She just peed on the couch a few minutes ago...I cleaned her up & put her in her crib so I could clean up the mess. Of course, she's not happy up there alone, but I didn't want to leave her downstairs to go about her merry way like nothing had happened.

Ugh. WWYD/have you done?

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: potty training regression ON PURPOSE!! WWYD?

My 2 year old regressed all the way from day trained back to diapers. She will use the potty but only when she wants to. There is no amount of fighting over this that will come out with her potty trained until she is ready to do it. Perhaps someone has some ideas but in my experience training my kids and my daycare kids, pottying is one of the few things kids can control in their world and they do sometimes make it a battle. I have put my 2 year old back in trainers/pull ups to save the carpet and furniture. We still take her potty at least once an hour but I do not fight her on this, argue, punish, cause drama, etc. Its normal for kids to regress but seriously frustrating. I know some people make the kid help clean up but my daughter is barely 2 (birthday was late July) and trying to get her to clean will result in another fight or another mess. I just accept that she will get back on track when shes ready and refuse to let this become a power struggle because I know that if she really wanted to, she will win.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

<sigh>

That's how I thought it would be. Dang.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
nappymaven812
Registered Users

If you want to get some cloth trainers that are almost like underwear, it would help to not make such a mess. They are called Joe Boxer. They are the thickest cloth trainers I've ever seen in a store. I got them at sears. The size range it little off. I got some 2T for my almost 2 year old and they are saposed to fit to 25lbs I think, but they are tight and the rise is low. My girl is really thin and tall and only 22lbs so I don't know why the size is wrong. Hope you can find some to try!
nappymaven812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly I bought cheap gerber trainers. Maybe being in a "little girl" pant might motivate her back. But I agree regressions can happen and they can pick to control it sometimes or not. Not over focusing might help.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
My 2 year old regressed all the way from day trained back to diapers. She will use the potty but only when she wants to. There is no amount of fighting over this that will come out with her potty trained until she is ready to do it. Perhaps someone has some ideas but in my experience training my kids and my daycare kids, pottying is one of the few things kids can control in their world and they do sometimes make it a battle. I have put my 2 year old back in trainers/pull ups to save the carpet and furniture. We still take her potty at least once an hour but I do not fight her on this, argue, punish, cause drama, etc. Its normal for kids to regress but seriously frustrating. I know some people make the kid help clean up but my daughter is barely 2 (birthday was late July) and trying to get her to clean will result in another fight or another mess. I just accept that she will get back on track when shes ready and refuse to let this become a power struggle because I know that if she really wanted to, she will win.
Exactly! Kids control only 2 things in this world, what goes in & what comes out. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to alter this universal truth. I don't negotiate with terrorists
Old 08-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #7
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Perhaps she needs to go back into diapers for a bit - not pull-ups, but true diapers. Pull-ups are for big kids who are trying to use the potty, but still have accidents.

Depends, of course, on why she's puposely wetting her pants, but pp is right - if it's a power struggle thing, turning it into a fight will only make it worse.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
weldababy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
Exactly! Kids control only 2 things in this world, what goes in & what comes out. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to alter this universal truth. I don't negotiate with terrorists
weldababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
doodah
Registered Users
seller

on a good note, my middle daughter went on strike for a few weeks and just today, was going happily on the potty, unprompted! hope this is a turn-around for us!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote