Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Feeling abused

Just wanting to vent and maybe some commiseration.

DS will be 7 mos next week and is 95% percentile and very strong. Friday night he was attacking me to nurse and poked me in the eye. Went to the eye doctor yesterday and I have a massive corneal abrasion. My eye is swollen, I'm having a hard time keeping it open and it feels like it has rocks in it.

Then just now while we were nursing for no reason and with no warning he just bit down so hard I'm bruised and bleeding! Luckily he's only got his two bottom teeth or it'd be much worse.

Between this and the regular hair pulling and stomach kicking, I'm starting to feel pretty beat up. This is my first kid. Tell me it gets better?

Advertisement

and our 3 furbabies (2 dogs & a cat). #2 due in 11/14! Loving life in beautiful Los Angeles.
somamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Re: Feeling abused

Next time he does any of it, put him down and walk away. And yes, they do grow out of it!
Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

The eye poke was on accident. Don't think he even knew he did it. When he bit me just now we were in bed and I screamed, got up and left him there. He cried for a bit then I sent DH in to lay with him while I gathered myself. Trying to nurse him to sleep still right now.
and our 3 furbabies (2 dogs & a cat). #2 due in 11/14! Loving life in beautiful Los Angeles.
somamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by somamama View Post
The eye poke was on accident. Don't think he even knew he did it. When he bit me just now we were in bed and I screamed, got up and left him there. He cried for a bit then I sent DH in to lay with him while I gathered myself. Trying to nurse him to sleep still right now.
When DS used to hurt me, I would say "OW!" and put him down and walk away. He was also in the 90-95th%. He grew out of it. They aren't doing it on purpose, just experimenting with different things. He got better about it (I don't remember when) and now he is a very loving, sweet little boy. I think your reaction was probably about right.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sitting him on the floor worked for me too. just the floor between my feet. they make it sound like the world may end, but it's not that bad
Old 08-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS was a major biter. I found saying nothing, no "OW" nothing setting him aside and ignoring him for about two minutes seemed most helpful. Or pushing his face into the breast to get him to release. Overall, DS was a biter for a long time. Almost every tooth was a fight. But I was more stubborn then him and he is still nursing and stopped biting a long time ago, thank god!!!!!

The physical stuff does calm down, though we still have occassional hiting issues with DS as he understands more. he does better. It will end, but I understand it sucks! Three times now DS has almost broke my nose, once giving me a bloody nose, when he accidently banged his head in my face. UGH! Feel better!
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS (20m) just started biting and pinching.
I try to redirect the action (hands are for loving, and stroke my arm....Mouths are for kissing, and I kiss his forehead). He usually repeats what I do a billion times, and stops doing the negative behavior few a few hours until he gets the urge to bit/pinch.

At 7m I'm not sure your child realizes that your nipples are attached to YOU. He might still think they are just his food source, so biting isn't associated to pain for you! None of my kids were biters during nursing, but my mom used to tell me, if they bit, flick their head...although I'm sure I'd be ok doing that.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

When DS bit me while nursing I would say "NO" very loudly and Immediately end the nursing session. It would startle him and he would cry, but he would quit biting! He has only tried it a few times, and every time my reaction halts it for a good long stretch. Now he's taken to trying to bite my arm, though..... ugh.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ouch, mama! I've noticed that DS tends to bite when he has teething pain. Maybe try letting him suck on a frozen teether for a few minutes before latching him on.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #10
Skatha89
Registered Users

DS (also 7 months) "abuses" me as well. I've found when he starts, if I give him all of my attention instead of focusing on other tasks, he stops and cuddles and is a very sweet boy.