Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Food Woes. Please help! My 13 mo won't eat hardly anything!

Okay, my 13 mo DS is already small (<5th percentile), which is normal given that I am small & DH is small. But, he's walking now & he NEEDS food. He is still nursing, but I am ready to wean and I am TRYING to wean, but he is really fighting the process and I do NOT know what I'm doing--I just break down when he grabs at me and starts bawling and asking to nurse. It's so heartbreaking. I keep trying to give him milk in a sippy instead and a snack when he wants to nurse to redirect. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

Anyway, back to the food--he started eating solids at 6mo and he was a GREAT eater--he would eat anything and everything we gave him, loved all veggies and meats, fruits, etc. We always gave him a variety of foods and flavors. Now, though, he only wants carbs. Carbs carbs carbs. I try offering veggies cut into sticks (easy to hold), I try offering dips for the veggies, I try offering various meats, I offer him almost anything we are eating. I have tried feeding him dinner and then when he won't eat, saving it and offering it when he is hungry later. Problem is, if he doesn't want to eat he just follows me around asking to nurse. or wakes a thousand times a night (and if he gets enough to eat, he sttn). What he WANTS to eat.... crackers. Any kind of cracker. Wheat crackers, ritz crackers, graham crackers. He loves the gerber fruit melts and he'll eat those nonstop if I let him (I don't...only ocassionally). he will eat yogurt, and I let him use a spoon to feed himself (messy, but it's important for him to learn how). He will eat food from those squeeze pouches--which I use a lot just to make sure he is getting his veggies. he will eat frozen organic broccoli "fries" (they are baked). otherwise, he just wants freaking crackers. for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I try putting peanut butter on them. I try putting cream cheese on them. I now understand why some kids grow up eating nothing but mac n cheese or chicken nuggets. I'm getting desperate for him to eat something!

One of the problems I run into is trying to get some food ready when he gets hungry. I go to fix something at normal lunch/dinner/snack time and when we're in the kitchen he sees food and he starts to grab at me, cry, etc... and I end up desperate for something immediate---he can't wait for me to cook the food.

How do you all feed your one year olds? How to you get them to wait while you cook? WHAT do you feed them? He also doesn't want to sit still to eat since he's learned to walk. He will sit in his highchair (because I require it) for 15 minutes or so with food in front of him, and won't eat but a bit or two, then when I get him down he suddenly wants to eat while he's running and walking around. I don't want to let him do that, but I get desperate to get him to eat.

Advertisement

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: Food Woes. Please help! My 13 mo won't eat hardly anything!

I sometimes give a snack of what I am cooking - i.e. veggies if he is starving. Or, a sippy of formula. What you are going through is normal. We are going through it and for days our son will not eat and then he will eat a ton. Our ped and a few moms told me to look at what he's eating over a week. I would NOT wean him till at least 18 months (or toddler formula) as at least if he's not eating you know he's getting the nutrition he needs. My son would not touch milk with a 10 foot pole. I gave up/waited and yesterday he finally drank 2% (we cannot do whole milk). We offer food, only when seated and if he doesn't eat try again later. They eat when they want to.

My son was in the 3%, then we jumped at the 21 month visit to 7% and I think we are even higher now. The past few weeks (we are almost 2) he's had a huge growth spurt so I wouldn't worry about it at all. We figure as long as they have a % on the growth chart, we are happy. Our ped said the 5-6% is just fine. Someone has to be on the smaller end of the growth chart.

The more you worry/force, the harder it is and it really doesn't help (just ask my mom).
Old 08-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Erinne
Registered Users

You can make crackers with black beans in them, to add some protein that I think kids don't usually notice. We love this recipe: http://doloresmonet.hubpages.com/hub...dandBlackBeans
My dd barely ate at 13 months, and she's still not a big eater. I'd go more by hitting milestones than by growth charts. Like you said, small parents are going to make small kids, so that seems totally normal. If he's walking and developing normally, size doesn't really matter.
Depending on your timeline for weaning, it sounds like you're actually working toward it, just slowly. Early on, you may be able to distract him from one or two feedings a day, and over time he'll adjust and you can reduce one or two more. That would take a while, though. If you want to try to speed it up, I find that my dd asks to nurse far less when we're out of the house. When she's busy and distracted, she just doesn't think of it, so lots of children's museum, zoo, park, etc.
The Montessori method uses what is called, I think, a toddler table for beginning eaters where they can just stand at the table and graze. We did that for dd's snacks when she was little and only brought her to the table with us for meals. Is your ds's high chair pushed up to the table so he can eat with the family or is he eating separately? Seeing others eating might help and you can entertain him to try to keep him there longer. Although really, 15 min is probably about it for a 13 mo.
It really sounds like a lot of what he's doing is normal, even if it is frustrating. I know for me, just seeing that my dd was growing, even if she wasn't eating much, helped me relax. I'm sure your son will be fine, even if he does drive you crazy! Eating seems to be such a weird thing for little kids.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Does he like to drink smoothies out of a straw? You could blend up a veggie/fruit smoothie with some whole milk yogurt.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
keowilliams
Registered Users
seller

With regards to weaning...Do you still nurse on demand, on is it on a schedule? If you're interesting in weaning, then I might suggest making a definite schedule - that incorporates his solid meals & snacks - and then gradually remove one feeding at a time until you are either weaned or down to a number of feedings you are comfortable with.

This is an issue you will have to hold firm with. I weaned DS at 16 months - at that point he was only nursing at nighttime and naps (cosleeper)& basically for comfort. We stopped cold turkey since he was only feeding a couple times a day, and it wasn't a major source of nutrition for him anymore (I wouldn't recommend this for your little guy). He fussed for a couple days, pulled at my shirt, etc., but accepted the change without too much trouble.

I think once your DS gets used to a feeding schedule, and used to you determining when he nurses - not the other way around - things should become easier.

To help speed up meal preps you might want to prefix meals and snacks, stow them in little containers, and then just pop them out and reheat or serve. Or serve meals one course at a time - start with some cut fruit (which could be prepared in advance) or cheese, yogurt, etc. That would keep him busy while you fix the rest.

And by the way, meals will probably continue to be a trial for the rest of toddlerhood. DS is almost three and still is routinely in the kitchen begging food while I'm trying to fix lunch and dinner. My general rule is that he can have fruit or veggies (sometimes yogurt) during the last hour before dinner. I don't like to make him wait because it's difficult for him. It's a long stretch from lunch to dinner for us (8 hours on average), and snacks only take you so far.

Hope this helps.

,Kate
SAHM to Alexander (almost 3) and expecting #2 in Sept.
keowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with pp. I would start simple, set up the nursings on a schedule. I know you want to wean but if it has been on demand you can't just take it away. Getting him on a schedule to start will give you a little control over the nursing situation. Try to schedule enough nursings that he wont be demanding more all day, at least at first. Then, figure out a snack/meal schedule, like pp said. Maybe certain snacks are available immediately. You can decide what those are. I'm all for letting kiddos lead the way on a lot of things but they do need guidance as well, and if you are this stressed about it then something needs to change.

Don't worry about exactly what he is eating at this moment. Right now you have a huge control battle going on. Setting a schedule will take out some of that battle, eventually. Good luck!!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Hehe...I feed my one-year old...CRACKERS! Mostly graham crackers...Cuz that's what she likes. While I'm fixing a meal...Crackers. As a snack...Crackers. DH actually noticed that she will let us spoon more of what we want her to eat in to her mouth if she is holding a cracker in each of her little paws. I mostly trust her body to know what it needs--even if it's ALL carbs one day...usually the next day she evens out.
aaiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #8
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I just give my dd a cracker. she loves them too. Once she has that silly cracker she's often willing to focus on other food. Really though, don't worry too much. Offer food but don't stress it. Kids will not starve themselves. Really! And don't let it turn into a battle because ou will not win.

My first dd has no interest in food. She's 7 and weighs 40lbs. But she's fine. She is short (so am I) but every year she outgrows her jeans and shoes so she does get bigger on the tiny amount she eats.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #9
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the scheduling for nursing in general at that age. It worked very well with DS2 (he nursed till 24mo) to nurse him around sleep times. (right before going to sleep and right after waking up-2 naps a day at that age so nursing 6ish times a day)

It's also hard to tell (for me it was) at that age if they are really hungry or just wanting to nurse because they are tired, bored, need a snuggle, teething (molars stink!) etc.

DS2 also wanted to eat on the go. We would put him in his high chair at that age and he would pick at his food for about 15 minutes. We would clean him up and let him get down. Then he would come visit us every little bit and we would give him bites off of our plates. Now he will sit at the table and eat everything in sight-slowly. It is not unusual for us to clean everything up while he consumes the last of the green beans or rice or whatever is left. (even after eating dessert)
Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

well, i found out today he has a fever again, so it may be that he's been getting ill and that is why he's not wanting to eat.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote