Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
z2akids's Avatar
z2akids
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,426
Re: How to talk to teacher

I'm not sure what K-5 is. Is it a preschool class or kindergarten? Actually I guess that doesn't really matter. Lots of preschools and kindergartens have snack time. The reason that they ask the parents to rotate sending snacks is because it is very difficult to control snack time if Johnny has cookies and Emma has potato chips and Joey has broccoli. The kids get all caught up in who has the best snacks and they want to trade or not eat their own, etc. Plus you get kids who won't have a snack, etc.

If parents rotate snacks, everyone eats the same thing. Much easier on the teacher. However, in my experience, parents with kids who have food allergies usually send in something else that the teacher can keep in the room for those days that the provided snack isn't something they can eat. I would simply send in a bag of something that stores easily for the teacher to have for your daughter. The kids will probably notice the first couple of times she eats the different snack, but over a short period of time, they will get used to it and it will cease to be an issue.

Advertisement

__________________
Jennifer
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
SylvieP's Avatar
SylvieP
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 1,417
My Mood:
Re: How to talk to teacher

I have no kids in school yet other then DSS but I cannot believe the school is asking parents to provide snacks for the entire school.

What ever happened to packing your own kids snacks and lunches......
__________________
French dian wife to Chris, stepmom to Aidan (11) and MoM to Jake (3) and twin girls Abbie and Ellie (1)
www.allaboutfluff.com
SylvieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
SylvieP's Avatar
SylvieP
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 1,417
My Mood:
Re: How to talk to teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
I'm not sure what K-5 is. Is it a preschool class or kindergarten? Actually I guess that doesn't really matter. Lots of preschools and kindergartens have snack time. The reason that they ask the parents to rotate sending snacks is because it is very difficult to control snack time if Johnny has cookies and Emma has potato chips and Joey has broccoli. The kids get all caught up in who has the best snacks and they want to trade or not eat their own, etc. Plus you get kids who won't have a snack, etc.

If parents rotate snacks, everyone eats the same thing. Much easier on the teacher. However, in my experience, parents with kids who have food allergies usually send in something else that the teacher can keep in the room for those days that the provided snack isn't something they can eat. I would simply send in a bag of something that stores easily for the teacher to have for your daughter. The kids will probably notice the first couple of times she eats the different snack, but over a short period of time, they will get used to it and it will cease to be an issue.
My mom use to pack our lunches growing up and I am sure kids ate stuff I wanted and vice versa sometimes but I don't remember it ever being a big deal.... this all seems very silly to me.
__________________
French dian wife to Chris, stepmom to Aidan (11) and MoM to Jake (3) and twin girls Abbie and Ellie (1)
www.allaboutfluff.com
SylvieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
sourpatch_babe's Avatar
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: fondling my coconut's nipples
Posts: 11,589
My Mood:
Re: How to talk to teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha-nanagins View Post
As both a teacher and a mom of a child with food allergies, I would contact the teacher. I am guessing from your post that
a) the teacher is very concerned that she be careful not to give your DD anything that might make her sick; but
b) mentioning it in front of DD and the whole class is making DD uncomfortable.

Now, perhaps your DD is feeling very shy and singled out, or perhaps the teacher is going overboard. Either way, make teacher aware of it. If she's planning on serving a snack, a little advanced planning to check the ingredients before class, and have a substitute available if necessary might solve the problem. Then, there's no need to mention it in front of the others - just quietly hand DD the substitute snack. If she or another child questions, a simple, matter of fact, "Oh, these have something in them that will make DD's tummy hurt" (in the same tone as, "Hmm - nice weather we're having") and drop it should suffice.
I would agree with this. Maybe sitting down with the teacher and giving her a written list of the items that contain the dye so that she does not suggest it to the other parents might work. Way I see it, if your child has a doctor's note that states she cannot have that particular item then she cannot be forced to eat the things other parents bring to the class.
__________________
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #15
z2akids's Avatar
z2akids
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,426
Re: How to talk to teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieP View Post
My mom use to pack our lunches growing up and I am sure kids ate stuff I wanted and vice versa sometimes but I don't remember it ever being a big deal.... this all seems very silly to me.
Unfortunately, in today's society lots of kids don't have the financial ability to pack a lunch and a snack - or sometimes even a mom home to pack it for them. Many children receive free or reduced lunches and may not be able to afford to send in a snack every day. So, then you have 1 or more children sitting there at snack time with nothing to eat. Reduced/free lunch programs do not also provide reduced/free snacks as far as I am aware.

By asking parents to rotate, those parents who are having financial troubles can usually either make advance plans for that 2 day period where they need to send in a couple of bags of pretzels to school or they can talk to someone at school to get excused from this.

This also reduces the difficulty of snack time for little kids for the teachers. It's easy to open a bag of pretzels and put it in a couple of baskets for the kids to pack around. Opening 20 individual snack bags (or otherwise helping all the 5 year olds get into their snacks) takes a great deal more time.
__________________
Jennifer
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #16
pcjs's Avatar
pcjs
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,206
Re: How to talk to teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustileigh View Post
The teacher sent a letter home with the kids today that every week, two parents would get letters and will asked to send in enough snacks for the whole class, whatever is written down on the letter- enough to last for 2 to 3 days.

What IS it with this school and FOOD?!

Just let me pack my child's food and let the other parents attend to the needs of their children. Why in the world do parents need to alternate snacks? I will feed my kid. You feed your kid.

*sigh*
okay, mini rant over.

You ladies gave fantastic advice, but now I have no idea what to say to the teacher after this letter came home this afternoon.
I'm in full agreement with you. I don't want anyone feeding my child and its really not fair to the kids parents who are struggling to afford food to send in two days worth. That's a lot to ask and puts some families in a difficult position. Just send what your child needs. I get some aren't which is why they are doing this but its not right. (and you would be one of the few people I'd be ok with feeding. )
__________________
Mom to my wonderfully sweet toddler who is the joy of our lives. :
pcjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
pcjs's Avatar
pcjs
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,206
Re: How to talk to teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Unfortunately, in today's society lots of kids don't have the financial ability to pack a lunch and a snack - or sometimes even a mom home to pack it for them. Many children receive free or reduced lunches and may not be able to afford to send in a snack every day. So, then you have 1 or more children sitting there at snack time with nothing to eat. Reduced/free lunch programs do not also provide reduced/free snacks as far as I am aware.

By asking parents to rotate, those parents who are having financial troubles can usually either make advance plans for that 2 day period where they need to send in a couple of bags of pretzels to school or they can talk to someone at school to get excused from this.

This also reduces the difficulty of snack time for little kids for the teachers. It's easy to open a bag of pretzels and put it in a couple of baskets for the kids to pack around. Opening 20 individual snack bags (or otherwise helping all the 5 year olds get into their snacks) takes a great deal more time.
Yuck, that is gross to pass around a basket for all the kids to put their hands in.
__________________
Mom to my wonderfully sweet toddler who is the joy of our lives. :
pcjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #18
dustileigh's Avatar
dustileigh
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,178
My Mood:
Re: How to talk to teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
I'm in full agreement with you. I don't want anyone feeding my child and its really not fair to the kids parents who are struggling to afford food to send in two days worth. That's a lot to ask and puts some families in a difficult position. Just send what your child needs. I get some aren't which is why they are doing this but its not right. (and you would be one of the few people I'd be ok with feeding. )
I already sent in a bunch of stuff to the teacher (organic snacks that have no artificial dyes that I ordered from Amazon- they're having really great sales right now!) to eliminate the need for anyone having to pay extra attention to DD's food needs. There should never be an issue- DD has her breakfast, snack, and lunch packed... there are treats and extra snacks in the cupboard should she ever need them. I added no extra work to the classroom workings- it just requires a thought every now and then. I bought alternatives for everything the teacher said she keeps in the class- crackers, gummies, lollipops, etc.

Her school is a magnet- so yes, most of the kids get free or reduced lunch. Those same kids get free breakfast. My daughter is the only kid in her class there as a magnet student and she is the only one that doesn't get free or reduced lunch. We are very blessed and I am happy to purchase extra supplies for the teacher, including snacks for the students whose parents cannot afford to send them.

I think that this plan puts undue financial hardship on the parents who cannot afford to even send snacks for their own kids, much less 11 others.
__________________
Dusti, wife to Tim<3
Mommy to Keelin (5), Jackson (2), and
our 9lb. homeborn baby, Finn (9/3)
http://www.wheresdusti.blogspot.com/
dustileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #19
z2akids's Avatar
z2akids
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,426
Re: How to talk to teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
Yuck, that is gross to pass around a basket for all the kids to put their hands in.
Our preschool had baskets that they would put pretzels or goldfish in and then the kids would use the scoops to get their snacks. They learned about measuring by using different sized measuring cups/spoons and the like. They did similar things with fruits or other scoopable snacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustileigh View Post
Her school is a magnet- so yes, most of the kids get free or reduced lunch. Those same kids get free breakfast. My daughter is the only kid in her class there as a magnet student and she is the only one that doesn't get free or reduced lunch. We are very blessed and I am happy to purchase extra supplies for the teacher, including snacks for the students whose parents cannot afford to send them.

I think that this plan puts undue financial hardship on the parents who cannot afford to even send snacks for their own kids, much less 11 others.
I'm always amazed that people on DS always seem to know who does and who doesn't receive free/reduced lunch. That is information that at our school is confidential and not even our lunchroom staff would know that. If I were one of those parents, I would be as upset that the school is telling you my financial needs as you are that your daughter was upset that the kids knew she was eating something different.
__________________
Jennifer

Last edited by z2akids; 08-08-2011 at 03:08 PM.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #20
pcjs's Avatar
pcjs
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,206
Re: How to talk to teacher

The teacher is probably going to get some very unhappy phone calls with that plan. She'll have to figure it out. She's probably never really had to "struggle" and even though she gets the kids are on free/reduced lunch, hasn't considered what it really means despite the good intentions.
__________________
Mom to my wonderfully sweet toddler who is the joy of our lives. :
pcjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.