Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #21
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: How to talk to teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Our preschool had baskets that they would put pretzels or goldfish in and then the kids would use the scoops to get their snacks. They learned about measuring by using different sized measuring cups/spoons and the like.

I'm always amazed that people on DS always seem to know who does and who doesn't receive free/reduced lunch. That is information that at our school is confidential and not even our lunchroom staff would know that. If I were one of those parents, I would be as upset that the school is telling you my financial needs as you are that your daughter was upset that the kids knew she was eating something different.
The problem with this plan is that some of the families will not admit is a problem/too proud and may cut back somewhere they really can't to make it work. That is what would concern me the most.

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #22
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, I don't see how it ultimately is any different.

Send in a snack for 11 kids about 2x a month or send in a snack for your own kid 22 times a month. Ultimately, you're sending in the same amount of snacks. The difference is that all of the children get the same snack each day (except those that have food allergies) which makes life a lot easier for the teachers.

It's also a lot easier to monitor whether kids have potential allergens in their snacks if there is only 1 snack per day to monitor. If Joey brings in a box of peanut butter cookies and there's a peanut allergy in the room, it's a lot easier for the teacher to get rid of that and pull out a "reserve" snack (which any worthwhile teacher will have) than it is to check each child's snack to make sure that Joey doesn't have peanut butter cookies just for himself and that Amy doesn't have peanut butter crackers and Jill doesn't have a peanut butter sandwich.

Last edited by z2akids; 08-08-2011 at 03:30 PM.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #23
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is hard to say. I've had teachers who were wonderfully accommodating with our food requests and one that didn't handle it so well.

The ones who did handle it well and were sometimes overly cautious. The food issues were very public in that school and everyone knew who had allergies, why we couldn't share food from home without permission etc. Probably because there were kids with severe allergies.

The teacher that didn't handle it well called to tell me that the my kids refused to eat a Girl Scout cookie because it had trans fat in it. I was completely puzzled because what is the big deal about a kid declining a cookie that warrants a phone call.

When I got more into the conversation, I found the true issue was that she didn't like that my kids questioned her authority.

She was trying to persuade my kids that it did not have trans fat but my kids read the label and found partially hydrogenated oils listed as one of the ingredients. She then started asking them about their diet and what they ate and was pointing out what foods they ate that had fat in them and basically trying to make them feel silly about the way we did things. The crazy thing was that she was a mom to a peanut allergic child.

I'm not saying that is the case with your teacher. Too early to tell.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.

Last edited by Agla; 08-08-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #24
dustileigh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Our preschool had baskets that they would put pretzels or goldfish in and then the kids would use the scoops to get their snacks. They learned about measuring by using different sized measuring cups/spoons and the like. They did similar things with fruits or other scoopable snacks.

I'm always amazed that people on DS always seem to know who does and who doesn't receive free/reduced lunch. That is information that at our school is confidential and not even our lunchroom staff would know that. If I were one of those parents, I would be as upset that the school is telling you my financial needs as you are that your daughter was upset that the kids knew she was eating something different.
No one told me anything- there are 11 students in her class, all of the parents turned in the forms at our first orientation except for me. Not a tough one to figure out.

Furthermore, the statistics of the school are posted online on the County's website- it's public information. So is the average income of the families in the school, number of children per family, who owns/who rents, who gets reduced lunch- and the percentages are updated every year- along with test scores.
http://www.wheresdusti.blogspot.com/
dustileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #25
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustileigh View Post
No one told me anything- there are 11 students in her class, all of the parents turned in the forms at our first orientation except for me. Not a tough one to figure out.

Furthermore, the statistics of the school are posted online on the County's website- it's public information. So is the average income of the families in the school, number of children per family, who owns/who rents, who gets reduced lunch- and the percentages are updated every year- along with test scores.
Actually, just because they turned in a form does not mean that they will be receiving free/reduced meals. Many schools want everyone to fill out the forms for a variety of reasons. The public school my children would have attended requests that everyone fill out the forms because they know that some people who would otherwise qualify won't fill out the forms for a variety of reasons - pride, assumption that they wouldn't qualify, etc. If everyone fills out a form they catch those people who would otherwise slip through the cracks. That means that plenty of people who don't qualify are filling out forms (given that we live in the 'burbs). I am also told, but don't have a link, that it affects the funding of the school based on who applies. Sure, it may be that everyone in yoru school except your child receives free/reduced lunches. But, honestly, just because they fill out a form doesn't mean that they get it. If the school isn't asking everyone to fill out the forms, then they should not be collecting them in public.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #26
KiteGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our preschool has some of this snack stuff going on, too. Basically, the parents ALWAYS provide the snack. We each have a day and we bring enough snacks (from an approved food list, mostly whole food, raw fruits and veggies, crackers/pretzels) for each kid. We also have to rotate buying a gallon of milk for the school fridge for the week. There was a special note that said that even if your kid doesn't drink milk at all, that in order to "keep things fair" everyone has to bring a gallon of milk in rotation.

I had a few thoughts about this: the kids are there for a few hours a day two or three days a week. Do they NEED MILK at school? And, A GALLON? And you can't say they're learning how to do it for Kindergarten, because they're drinking it in cups not in cartons. Also, if your kid doesn't drink milk period...I don't think you should have to buy it. (Mine does, so I'm cool with taking a turn.) I don't see how that's fair. Also, my son pretty much only drinks water- we have to encourage him to drink milk with meals- so I don't know why this is such a big deal! Unless the teachers like it for their coffee?

I'm not too bugged because I've already given up on the whole "what is fair, really?" thing with school. I already have a list of clorox wipes/tissues/crayons, etc. I have to buy as well.

The milk thing was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

(And also, in the community I live in and with the fees associated with this preschool, I don't think this is a "this is the only time these kids might get milk" situation. We're not rich, but we can afford milk. And I think we're on the poor end of the school population.)
KiteGirl: Mother of one boy, Cy Wife and Partner to John, educator, and perpetual student. I'm into cloth diapering (although Cy is a potty-using boy now!), babywearing, crib sleeping, vaccinating and circumcising, and am happy to support you in what you believe, as well.
KiteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #27
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
I'm in full agreement with you. I don't want anyone feeding my child and its really not fair to the kids parents who are struggling to afford food to send in two days worth. That's a lot to ask and puts some families in a difficult position. Just send what your child needs. I get some aren't which is why they are doing this but its not right. (and you would be one of the few people I'd be ok with feeding. )
This is the norm for public schools around here. It was like this in preschool through second grade for my son.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #28
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
The problem with this plan is that some of the families will not admit is a problem/too proud and may cut back somewhere they really can't to make it work. That is what would concern me the most.
Yes, but most of the time you only end up sending snacks 2x a year. I bought snacks when they were on sale, and I only spent mayb $30 for the whole year.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #29
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

what kind of magnet is this? I only have one hand, but there are a few things here that don't equate.
is the teacher or school asking for snacks? because asking a 90% FRPL school to bring snacks is getting blood from a turnip.
is dd eating in her classroom or cafeteria?
is this full day K? b-fast, lunch and snack seems like a lot of K.

I think there is some misunderstanding on how free lunch programs work. It's in you (everyone's rich/poor) to have as many ppl as possible get FRPL. it's how the state calculates your lunch budget, and usually, if you get b-fast at all.

bbl when I have my other hand back
Old 08-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #30
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is common around here for parents to send snacks for the class. The kids all eat the same snack. . .Last year DS1's teacher would just send notices when more snacks were needed and what types (healthy) were preferred. Yes, it is usually the same parents donating all the time while others never donate. DS rarely ate the snack- he was either too busy or didn't like it. But, they eat breakfast and lunch, it isn't like missing snack will starve a kid. The schools don't usually provide snacks or money. So if parents don't send in any, then guess what, the kids don't have any. I don't see how providing snacks for 2 days every couple months is more of a burden than providing a snack daily. However I don't think that is an issue anyone other than the people who can't provide snacks need to worry about. I'm sure they will either talk to the teacher or just not send anything.

All schools have to post the percentage of free/reduced lunch. It has a lot to do with the amount and type of money they receive. It's easy to figure out who gets free lunch-it's the ones that eat it and never bring in money.

As for the OP- Kids that age ask lots of questions. DS usually takes his lunch and he would beg to buy lunch, but then he immediately wanted to take his lunch again. Kids want to do what looks/seems special. Her teacher is concerned about the dye. It probably isn't an allergy she's had to deal with before. If a kid had a peanut allergy EVERYONE in the entire school would know. Of course that would be talked about and noted when food stuff was coming into the class for parties or whatever. . .have you thought about what to do when mom's bring cupcakes etc. for birthdays??