Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
aconnor
Registered Users
seller

barnyard smell...help!!!

oh no! only been diapering for a week. just went to put a diaper in the diaper pail (all prefolds) and when i opened the bag it smells like a barnyard! oldest diaper has only been in there 24 hours - is this normal?

Advertisement

aconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: barnyard smell...help!!!

were they diapers you bought new or used? barnyard smell usually=bacteria. throw 1/4c of bleach in the wash & that should kill it.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
vittoriosmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am subbing to this thread... I have been trying to kill the barnyard smell in a couple attempts but small success. I did add bleach but it didn't kill the smell... I did a long soak with A LOT of detergent and a hot wash after that plus warm rinse. A couple dipes still smelled a little but after they dried (air dry) they seem ok. I am hoping the smell will completely go away in the next couple of washes.
It seems like the barnyard smell is coming from poop that didn't wash out well!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
CWHmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

What is your wash routine? Poop smell usually needs more/stronger detergent, and additional/hotter water.

yeah, yeah, yeah, iPhone autocorrect, blah blah
Old 08-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

How much is "a lot" of detergent? What type of detergent are you using? We had that problem too, using all f&c before. I was using half the recommended amount and started using the full amount on the back of the bottle and it helped. I also realized I needed enzymes in my wash to help get rid of the poop. Since we switched to a&h oxi-clean no more barnyard smell. I have to use bleach about once every two weeks to help get rid of it. Also, are you doing a cold pre-wash? If so, switch to hot, hot water kills bacteria.
My routine is:
hot pre-wash with baking soda if we have lots of poop, drain
hot soak for about 30 minutes then add full amount of detergent, long hot wash cycle
double rinse on cold (only rinse setting I have)
Every couple of weeks I add about 1/4 cup of bleach to the wash. If I still have a little smell, next time I wash I soak with bleach for 30 mins in my hot soak.HTH!!
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
vittoriosmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A lot to me means 3 scoops of BG detergent for 12 diapers (they recommend 1). I can tell it was a lot because of the amount of bubbles :-)
Old 08-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittoriosmom View Post
I am subbing to this thread... I have been trying to kill the barnyard smell in a couple attempts but small success. I did add bleach but it didn't kill the smell... I did a long soak with A LOT of detergent and a hot wash after that plus warm rinse. A couple dipes still smelled a little but after they dried (air dry) they seem ok. I am hoping the smell will completely go away in the next couple of washes.
It seems like the barnyard smell is coming from poop that didn't wash out well!
how much bleach did you use? maybe you didn't use enough? lots of detergent is not going to kill bacteria. bleach, GSE, or boiling will kill the bacteria in the diapers.

then you probably need to strip the buildup out that is part of the cause of the bacteria. You can do that by washing w/ blue dawn & doing a bunch of rinses.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My diaper pail smells like ammonia...pretty nasty and I turn my head when it's opeaned, but I don't think this can be avoided. I'm not sure I'v smelled "barnyard".
Old 08-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

yeah, we have been getting this smell, just with prefolds....and not all of them. Its driving me batty!
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
susannah
Registered Users
seller

What is barnyard smell? DD's diapers used to get what I would call a river water or pond water smell... do you think we're talking about the same thing.

I haven't gotten that smell with DS's diapers but we've switched to regular, diaper unfriendly detergent (Tide).
susannah is online now   Reply With Quote