Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
mistylynn313
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Desperately need help with potty training DD.

I really, really need help with DD and potty training/potty learning, whatever you want to call it. Here's a bit of history...
DD is now 33 months. She showed readiness signs quite some time ago, around a year ago. We would put her on the potty every so often and she started peeing on the potty a few times a day. We ended up falling away from it. My dad died, my mom (my parents were seperated) who lived with us and was DD's BFF ended up moving to Canada, and I started full time college. This all happened within a month a half. I know all these crazy things interrupted potty training then.

Fastforward to now...
DD has almost no interest in potty training. She refuses to wear cloth diapers. We thought maybe that was our big "in" with potty training. We got her pull-ups, we have cloth undies with a padded wet zone (the gerber ones) as well.

A few months ago I tried kicking potty training into gear. Let her run around naked or in a dress with no undies, had her sit on the potty every hour. Her behavior took a turn for the worse. It just didn't click.

I've restarted things again, but I really don't know what to do. She loves her potty, will sit on it FOREVER and then get up and have an accident in the livingroom or diningroom or right there in the bathroom. We've bribed her with all sorts of things if only she would pee on the potty. Promised her dolls or toys, candy... We read books, I've given her a whiteboard to draw on... She just won't pee on the potty... I know a lot of people will respond by saying "just give her more time, she's not ready". I get that, but how will I know she's ready then? She has all the readiness signs already. She's going to be three in a few months. What other signs should I be waiting for?

I really need help with this. I hate admitting it, but I'm getting really frustrated and I'm starting to get upset with her over it. Its not that she doesn't know what I'm talking about. She just doesn't care to pee on the potty.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by mistylynn313; 08-08-2011 at 05:48 PM.
mistylynn313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

I got to this point with DS. I started to get so annoyed when he wouldn't poop in the potty (he was peeing in the potty at this point).

Once I let go and realized that no matter what I did I could not make him use the potty things got better.

After that he still had bribes (he could pick a prize out of a basket) I still got really excited when he did go potty and I still reminded him to let me know when he had to go, but I was just very calm about it.

It also really helped that he was moving to the "big boy" classroom at school and he had to use the potty "all the time" in order to go to the BIG BOY classroom at school.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
mistylynn313
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Desperately need help with potty training DD.

I've been letting it go for the last few months. She only went on the potty when she wanted to, we didn't push anything... I'm just wondering if I need to put her back in diapers for a little while. Maybe she'll hate them and decide to use the potty...

ETA: Daycare won't do anything until she is "almost potty trained". I need to have a talk with them and see if they can do a little more. Otherwise I may need to find a new one. She's there all day three days a week. I can't spend all my time getting her to use the potty when they won't help at all...

Last edited by mistylynn313; 08-08-2011 at 06:17 PM.
mistylynn313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

Does she have to help clean it up when she doesn't use the potty?

We started this with DS. Nothing mean or anything, but by 2.5 he really did know better and would "help" clean up. I really did most of the work, but this way it took up his time and he didn't get to go play. I think it helped he realize that he might as well use the potty since it would be faster than cleaning up.

I wouldn't go back to diapers.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

Day care should be helping. Mine starts when you tell them too. He even wore underwear most of the time at school and they would only put a pull up on him at nap time. They would just clean him up and put new underwear on. They did throw away a few pairs of underwear, but I figured it was ok to lose a few pairs if it meant he was actually learning to use the potty.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
mistylynn313
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for your replies ladies. I'm going to call daycare and chat with them about it. If they won't help then we might have to find a new place. She's there for too long for them to not doing anything.

She really loves the zoo so I think I'll do a sticker chart with an ulitmate reward of going to the zoo. Maybe x number of peeing on the potty = a trip to the zoo.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
sopapia
Registered Users
seller

I'm so sorry... My suggestion after starting is to ditch the pull up/diaper. If you have to use then, put them over the gerber pants. Also, sometimes when the child is older, it's a control issue. Maybe have her go with you to pick out the underwear/training pants and let her pick what she wants to wear. Immediate bribes/prizes work better too. like candy/ chocolate or if you dint like sweets, can have a treasure chest with trinkets. It'll get better...
sopapia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
sopapia
Registered Users
seller

I'm so sorry... My suggestion after starting is to ditch the pull up/diaper. If you have to use then, put them over the gerber pants. Also, sometimes when the child is older, it's a control issue. Maybe have her go with you to pick out the underwear/training pants and let her pick what she wants to wear. Immediate bribes/prizes work better too. like candy/ chocolate or if you dint like sweets, can have a treasure chest with trinkets. It'll get better...
sopapia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any advice, other than my 28 mo dd has been using the potty since 19 months and she still isn't trained yet either. My two boys were older than this when they trained, but they literally did it overnight. She is hard because she refuses to wear diapers. She will pee on the potty only if she is naked. If I put her in undies, she pees in pair after pair. If we leave the house, she won't go. She is always peeing all over the floor and laughing about it. I know she gets it and I am frustrated too. She is outgrowing her training pants and I don't know if I should buy the larger size or just put her in underwear. Hugs, mama.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
Dewberri
Registered Users
seller

We went through some traumas when DD first showed interest in PL'ing. But that's not really what you need to know... We did the dress with no underwear or pull-up on, too. DD did well with that but wouldn't tell me when she needed to use the potty so we were still having a lot of accidents. I moved the potty out into the living area (we keep the bathroom door closed and DD can't just go in on her own) so that she could go to the potty without having to tell anyone. THat was the best decision I ever made. We still have a few accidents (maybe 2 a week) but DD basically did that hard work herself after I moved the potty She was about 28 months.

HTH!

My hobby: Fluff-n-Stuff -> Temp. on hold while I rebuild my stash for the newbie
Dewberri is offline   Reply With Quote