View Poll Results: How often do/did you read to your toddler?
Daily 103 89.57%
A few times a week 7 6.09%
A few times a month 2 1.74%
I've read very few books throughout toddlerhood 3 2.61%
We never read to our toddler 0 0%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
SkyeSpade
Registered Users
seller

How often do/did you read to your toddler?

I recently had a couple interactions with friends with LOs around DS1's age in both directions that made me wonder just how often most people read to their kids. Both sets of mamas seemed to basically not read to their LOs at all, which surprised me. DS1 brings me books what seems like all day long, and some days I just do not care that he will not eat them on a train anymore!

So, like I said, how often do/did you read to your toddler?

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Jsweetheart1019
Registered Users

Re: How often do/did you read to your toddler?

We read 2 books at nap time and 2 at bed time. If he brings us books during the day we'll read them as well
Jsweetheart1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
All the time. We read to the kids daily.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We've always read books to our kids from early on. I have never understood why parents wouldn't. And yes, I understand that some children don't want to sit for a book. All of my children were (and still are) very active children. I would just read to them while they were playing. They listen a lot more than a lot of people give them credit for.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DD (15mos) has a naptime book (Pat Them Gently) and a bedtime book (My First Book of Sushi), and a custom board book with no words that a friend illustrated with characters DH made up. Those we read daily. She also pulls out books during the day and we either read them together or she pages through them - she's very independent.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We read a couple books at naptime (short board books), and a longer one at bedtime. Both of my kids read quite a bit on their own, and I never refuse them the opportunity to read with me during the day. DS and I read chapter books together while DD is taking a nap.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids aren't toddlers anymore but I've always read to them. Kearnan really didn't like picture books as a toddler but he would let me read chapters out of novels to him. So starting at 18months we did that every day at nap time. I would read to him for hours sometimes until he would fall asleep (it was a rough time for him). I read all of the Harry Potter books that were out at the time, A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Princess Bride, The Never Ending Story, The Dalmark Quartet, Call of The Wild, ect. We have actually been through the Harry Potter series multiple times (at least 4, it is Kearnan's favorite). We kept that up until Tharen was born and then we reverted back to shorter picture books because we didn't have time for full chapters in novels. Tharen was more tolerant of picture books or early readers. He liked Frog and Toad and things like that. He is one of those "read it again" kids. So for him we do the mid-day book reading thing plus at bedtime I read the longer novel books for both of them. I also have the shorter chapter books that Kearnan can now read to himself (Magic Tree House, How to Train Your Dragon ect). I can't remember a time where I didn't read to my kids, maybe as super tiny infants when I really only sang to them.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:

My toddler is 2.5 years old. We read for 30 minutes before nap and 30 minutes before bed, sometimes 45. During the day he is SO active and busy, he has no interested in sitting still and reading. But, of course, if he brought me a book or showed any interest, I would read it to him!
MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
My kids aren't toddlers anymore but I've always read to them. Kearnan really didn't like picture books as a toddler but he would let me read chapters out of novels to him. So starting at 18months we did that every day at nap time. I would read to him for hours sometimes until he would fall asleep (it was a rough time for him). I read all of the Harry Potter books that were out at the time, A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Princess Bride, The Never Ending Story, The Dalmark Quartet, Call of The Wild, ect. We have actually been through the Harry Potter series multiple times (at least 4, it is Kearnan's favorite). We kept that up until Tharen was born and then we reverted back to shorter picture books because we didn't have time for full chapters in novels. Tharen was more tolerant of picture books or early readers. He liked Frog and Toad and things like that. He is one of those "read it again" kids. So for him we do the mid-day book reading thing plus at bedtime I read the longer novel books for both of them. I also have the shorter chapter books that Kearnan can now read to himself (Magic Tree House, How to Train Your Dragon ect). I can't remember a time where I didn't read to my kids, maybe as super tiny infants when I really only sang to them.
This is a great idea! I never thought about this.... sometimes my toddler likes to be rocked a lot before bed, I could just rock him for an hour while I read my book that I'm reading out loud. Great idea. I'm reading The Hunger Games now.... he won't understand that, will he? Heh.
MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

We read daily. Each kid gets to pick out a story for bedtime, but they also bring me random books throughout the day to read to them, as well.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote