View Poll Results: How often do/did you read to your toddler?
Daily 103 89.57%
A few times a week 7 6.09%
A few times a month 2 1.74%
I've read very few books throughout toddlerhood 3 2.61%
We never read to our toddler 0 0%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
UnschoolingFamily
Registered Users

My Mood:
We try to always have a chapter book being read aloud to our 12 and 10 year olds. They read books on their own, too, but still love bedtime chapter books.

I read about 8-10 picture books to my 9 month old baby a day, and my big kids read to her, too. Tonight, I heard DH reading her a bunch of the stories I had read to her earlier. I have been reading to her since she was about 3 months old and she has always loved it, has looked rigt at the pictures, squealed at the books, etc.

I agree with the OP that I have occasionally been shocked when I have found out that parents I know don't read to their kids.

Advertisement

UnschoolingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #12
Dandelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How often do/did you read to your toddler?

We read one book at naptime and one at bedtime. I also read books to DS if he brings me one during the day.

I want to make one of these... fabric book display
to make DS's books more accessible.
, ,
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #13
SkyeSpade
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion
We read one book at naptime and one at bedtime. I also read books to DS if he brings me one during the day.

I want to make one of these... fabric book display
to make DS's books more accessible.
That is super cute! And something like that would get bookshelves out of my climbing mister's room while keeping the books accessible...

Any typos are probably a combination of my phone and poor proofreading!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #14
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

daily. if she's home for a nap, she gets stories at nap and at bedtime. If she's at my gma's and misses her nap, then just at night.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #15
Nijntje
Registered Users

My Mood:

Every day! It is very important to us to get as much of the minority language in as possible. My daughter doesn't always have the patience to sit through a story (only 17 months), so if she's being squirmy we still sit together and look through the pictures and talk about what we see, make animal sounds, name objects etc.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:21 AM   #16
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We read at bedtime, they each choose 2 books usually, sometimes more depending on how long they were. Then during the day if they bring books to me I will read them. We encourage a lot of 'reading alone' as well... basically just them looking at the pictures, and sometimes the older one will show the baby things in books which is cute.

I have also heard people say their kids won't sit still for books, we've had two very different kids, the first one you could sit and read a whole book from 8 months and she would sit there and look at the pictures the entire time. By 12 months we could read 3 or 4 like that, she would sit and concentrate. By 16 months she had quite a few books memorised, at least to the point where she could fill in the blanks if I let her. Our second finds it very difficult to sit still at all. But she is better at picture books where you point at things and let her say the names. With stories she often gets up halfway, so I just continue reading and show her while she is walking around. And I would say that of the two, she is the more advanced talker. Both have been early talkers, but she is using full sentences (4+words) regularly at 17-18months whereas her older sister was a couple of months later than that. So I do think even though she doesn't have the capacity to sit still and listen, the reading is still very important, and something does go in!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #17
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
This use to be us- starting early. We dropped the nap book when she stopped taking naps. DD has a full sized 3 shelf bookcase just for her books- and it full. We tend to keep a lot of books in our house- we have a mini library.

We just started reading to ds who is 10 months. he loves books, but would grab them and not let us turn the pages until recently.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 AM   #18
keowilliams
Registered Users
seller

We read books twice a day - three books at nap and three books at bedtime. He will then often "read" them to himself for awhile (which makes me all gooey and happy - I'm such a book worm) before settling down to go to sleep too. He's always got about 3-4 books piled on the bed next to him.

I've run into the same thing with friends. One friend has about four books for her toddler - all of which were given to her, I think. It astounds me. My son has an entire shelf. And indeed this B-day, besides a few hand-me-down gifts (a block set, etc. that's in our attic from when I was a kid) he's only getting books. Not that we're opposed to other toys, etc. Just that he hasn't gotten any new books in a while, and I want to focus on that.

,Kate
SAHM to Alexander (almost 3) and expecting #2 in Sept.
keowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:27 AM   #19
cutebluebaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We read to them every day, multiple times a day. Z started to sit and listen to books at 6 months, but he's more of a "watch & learn" kind of kid. N is incredibly active and would listen to really short books at first (The Going to Bed Book). He has finally gotten to the point where he can sit still long enough to listen to longer and multiple books per day.

Fabrics : Fitteds : Inserts : Boy Clothes : Girl Clothes
cutebluebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 AM   #20
CarolinaMama
Registered Users
seller

not reading to a child would be like not feeding them food, imo. Little brains need stimulation that does NOT come for electronic media.

We have read to my dd since birth. She also loves to "read" on her own for 30 minutes or more at a time. She likes to pic up my books and read to me, which I LOVE. I did not discover my love for reading till I was out of school. I can only imgine how much easier school could have been for me if I had.