View Poll Results: How often do/did you read to your toddler?
Daily 103 89.57%
A few times a week 7 6.09%
A few times a month 2 1.74%
I've read very few books throughout toddlerhood 3 2.61%
We never read to our toddler 0 0%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 05:33 AM   #21
shootingstarlet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
As a former teacher I know how important it is for kids to be read to from early on so we read a lot in our house. Plus my 16 month old ds brings me books all the time and he is very active. He won't sit in my lap for them unless he's tired, but he will stand next to me and he loves to turn the pages and point to things. Reading is so important and I am so glad to see all the mamas on here reading to their kiddos!

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 05:59 AM   #22
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How often do/did you read to your toddler?

The bare minimum is one book every night at bed time. When DH puts her to bed 2x a week she usually suckers him into reading 2 or 3. DD1 usually brings me a couple of books to read throughout the day too. Definitely daily though.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #23
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

We read at least daily, but kind of whenever. DD has a full bookcase, plus little story books throughout the house. At 17 mos, she won't sit still to be read to, but she'll bring me loads of books & I'll read a page & she'll flip 3 pages & we'll read that page & she'll flip back 4 pages & I'll read that...and we name the animals & trees & flowers in the pictures. She's not a naptime/bedtime story kid, but we read a lot when we're chilling in the family room w/ nighttime snack & a cup of milk

DP & I are readers, though, so it's important to us to read to her. We buy her books all the time; every time SIL comes to visit, they bring us books from her DD; we both have books from our childhoods that are now on her shelf, & her shower theme was books...so yeah, we read...just a little .
Old 08-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #24
Erinne
Registered Users

We read constantly, it seems. My dd LOVES the library and I love that she loves it!
She wasn't big into reading until 20 months or so, and before that it was usually just one book before bed. I do think that just going with the kid's interest is ok too, as long as you're doing other pre-reading activities too (songs, rhymes, finger plays, etc.).
Old 08-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #25
Crow Mountain Crafts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Multiple times a day. We have storytime after lunch usually and then read 3-4 books before bed time. Both of my toddlers love reading and they will bring me books all throughout the day.
Crow Mountain Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #26
ahenson
Registered Users
seller

We read constantly throughout the day, typically part or all of 1-3 books every hour he is awake! He loves Dr. Seuss, especially One Fish, Two Fish. I will also read to him when I have a moment to pick up a magazine whether he seems to listen. We also read the bible every night before bed. Anytime I read to DS1, DS2 is there as well. We read to DS2, who is almost three months, even if DS1 is asleep. We did the same with DS1. He pretends to read everything that has words or letters now -- it is too cute!

**Sent from my Xperia X10 using DS Forum -- watch out for odd autocorrects that I don't catch**
Baby #3 due September 2015!
Check out my hand engraved and handmade jewelry: http://www.rococo-riche.com
ahenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #27
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted daily but that isn't entirely accurate. I read books to my kids whenever they ask me to. They have books in every room of the house and I'll read anytime they want. Somedays all we do is read practically - the 2 youngest bring book after book to me (my oldest reads herself and rarely asks me to read anymore). Other days they are busy playing toys and don't bring me books. Usually one child will bring me at least a couple books to read but there are days we don't read. So my accurate answer is we read books whenever a child wants to.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #28
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Since the question was about toddlers, I voted a few times a month. My dd did not like sitting still for stories when she was a toddler. She's currently 4 years old and I read at least 2 books to her at bedtime every night. She almost never brings me books to read to her....so really it's only at bedtime that I read to her.
Gwendolyn (6-30-15)
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #29
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

We've been reading to him since I was pregnant. It's one of the few decisions we didn't argue about at all. Minimum of one book and more when time permits or he uses his cute little sad face at bedtime. And we read everytime he asks.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #30
GreenDahlia
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have been reading to my DD every day since I was 17 weeks pregnant. She loves books and we read everyday. We have tons of childrens books, I actually sort of collect them

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using DS Forum
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
~Mae West
GreenDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote