Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Do you cover up when nursing in public?

I exclusively pumped with both my boys, but am determined to nurse DS3 (due in July). I live in a really small town, and nursing mothers aren't the norm here (unfortunately!)... I've never seen anyone nursing in public. Even my friends who breastfeed pump and bottle-feed when out in public, or even at a friend's house. I don't want to do that, but I don't want to offend anyone, either.

I've been going to LLL meetings for 16 months now, and obviously no one uses a cover there. But it's not like they whip their boobs out or anything like that... I see more boob just by going to Wal-Mart .

I bought a nursing cover off DS, but I'm just wondering how many mamas actually use those? Have you ever offended anyone by nursing in public? Any experience/opinions would be great!

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
arrowbabie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was so scared with ds that I would hide in the bathroom or pump and bottle fee. With Dd, I am determined to feed her wherever I am. I bought a nursing cover and I plan on using it. I think last time it was more my self consciousness than it actually bothering other people. Good luck and don't be afraid!!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
soon2b3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you cover up when nursing in public?

I nurse ds everywhere. I don't use a cover. But I always wear an undertank so my muffin isn't hanging out
Old 06-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nope! Church is the only place I go to the mothers room but it sort of stinks since I'm a SAHM that's one of a few chances I get to be around other adults. I want to be rebellious and just nurse during the service but ds makes noises. But any other time I sure don't. With ds1 I secluded myself even with family around but he did get some bottles and eventually weaned at 5 months. Ds2 I used a cover if I was out but again tried to schedule outings so I would be home to nurse. He also got some bottles and weaned early. DS3 I have not allowed bottles and with a 4 & 6 year old we have a lot more outings to make so I am being more open about it. I get so mad when people act like a mom nursing her baby is offensive or something to hide when like a PP said she "sees more boob by going to wal-mart". So I'm all about using myself as a way to educate and get people used to it. If we continue to cover and hide then we can't improve on peoples awareness.

We're about to go on vacation and visit family. My mom was talking about going out to dinner one night. She's just being lazy and doesn't want to cook. It's kind of challenging to go to restaurants with 3 kids and one being a baby. But I said well that's a tough time of day for ds so we can go out but I'll be nursing my baby at the dinner table.

I'm sure my brother is going to be freaked out. He lives with them right now b/c he and his wife are splitting up. His ex didn't bf at all so I don't know if he's ever really been around a nursing mom before.

I'm at the point to where I purposely want to ruffle feathers! Ha! I've been criticized by some family for some of our parenting choices so this is sort of my way of letting them know it's my family and I'm going to do things the way I want!

I'm such a hippie rebel!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used a cover for the first couple months when it was awkward to get dd latched, but I stopped using it now that we both have the hang of things. If anyone has noticed, they haven't said anything or given me a look. I've never seen anyone NIP, but I'm not sure if it just doesn't happen or I haven't noticed lol.

I'm of the mindset that I'm going to feed my kid when she's hungry and I don't care what anyone else thinks about it.
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't use a cover, but I don't expose my breast either. I've nursed all kinds of places and I've never had anyone say anything or give me a nasty look or anything. I just use a receiving blanket with one corner under the baby's face (to catch wayward dribbles, my babies think that's funny ) and then the other end loose to cover anything that might need to be covered. Also that way the baby's head isn't under a cover, so they don't fight it like they fight the nursing cover. does that make sense?
Old 06-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a cover, but I really only used it while we got the hang of BFing. It gets in the way more than anything else now. I've been nursing in public without a cover for a couple of weeks now (DS is only 6 weeks), including in the middle of the mall! I have an under-tank (Target has really good ones, plus white ones are on sale right now) and use a blanket for side-boob coverage. Motherhood Maternity also has some nice nursing shirts that have openings just for nipples and don't show much else.

As far as I know, I haven't offended anyone yet. Although, if I got dirty looks I didn't notice because when I'm nursing I'm pretty much oblivious. I think if you make a big deal out of nursing in public, then other people will too. If you're chill about it, if you make it seem like it's completely normal, other people will be more at east. Yes, you're going to probably run into people telling you to go use the bathroom or cover up or whatever, but what really gave me confidence to NIP was knowing what my state's laws are about BFing (which is anywhere that mothers and babies are allowed to be, they're allowed to nurse and anybody who tries to tell them otherwise can get reported to the state attorney).
Old 06-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Doodlebrainette
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tried a small blanket with my first, but it was such hassle to get over my shoulder and have it stay there. By the time I had it up, she was crying and I couldn't see what I was doing. I think I tried it 2-3 times before I decided I had to do something else. I tend to wear t-shirts, so I just kind of tuck my shirt around so no one sees anything. I'm more horrified if someone sees my flabby tummy over getting flashed by a little breast. I practiced in front of a mirror so that I knew what I was doing when I was around others. Most people just think my nursling is sleeping when she is really nursing. Ring slings are great for discreet nursing, too.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

On airplanes I let it all hang out because frankly there's nothing more annoying then a crying baby on a plane even if it's my own. Other then that I usually excuse myself and nurse in the bathroom. I'm terrified of ds popping off and my nipple ending up on some 12 year olds face book. I'm not so much embarressed or afraid to offend as I am afraid to be photographed and posted on the internet. When nursing at a friend or fmaily members house I use my sling to cover us.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

I nurse in public and honestly I don't think anyone really notices. The cover draws a lot more attention then not using it. I try my best to be modest but I may have flashed a few people.