Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:
Talking Easter cookie recipe :)

I am not posting this to start a debate. One of my friends has been doing this w/her kids for years. DD won't really enjoy it for a couple of years, but thought I'd share it w/you guys - or those that would like it anyway. Enjoy!!

Resurrection cookie recipe

1-cup whole pecans
1 tspn vinegar
3 egg whites
a pinch of salt
1-cup sugar
a zipper baggy
1 wooden spoon
scotch tape
Bible

These are to be made the evening before Eater. Preheat oven to 300F.
***(This is very important---donít wait until you are half done w/the recipe.) ***
Place pecans in zipper baggy and let children beat them with the wooden spoon to break into small pieces. Explain that after Jesus was arrested he was beaten by the Roman soldiers, and what they are doing represents the beatings he took. Read John 19:1-3

Let each child smell the vinegar. Put 1 tspn vinegar into mixing bowl. Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross He was given vinegar to drink. Read: John 19:28-30

Add egg whites to vinegar. Eggs represent life. Explain that Jesus gave His life to give us life. Read John 10:10-11

Sprinkle a little salt into each childís hand. Let the child taste it and brush the rest into the bowl. Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesusí followers, and the bitterness of our own sin. Read Luke 23:27

So far the ingredients are not very appetizing. Add 1cup sugar. Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us so much. He wants us to know and belong to Him. Read Psalm 34:8 and John 3:16.

Beat with a mixer on high speed for 12-15 mins until stiff peaks are formed. Explain that the color white represents the purity in Godís eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus. Read Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3

Fold in broken nuts. Drop by teaspoon onto waxed paper covered cookie sheet. Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesusí body was laid. Read Matthew 27:57-60

Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and turn the oven OFF. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door. Explain Jesusí tomb was sealed. Read Matthew 27:65-66

Go to bed!!

Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight. Jesusí followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed. Read John 16:20-22

On resurrection Sunday (Easter) morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow! On the first Easter Jesusí followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty. Read Matthew 28: 1-9

This shows our children the true meaning of Easter!

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
2beautifulgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Easter cookie recipe :)

ok this made me quite teary. I will try to do this with my girls. thanks for such a cool and easy way to explain why we celebrate Easter.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

lovely!
(so, are they yummy?)
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure since I've not done it myself, but if I remember they were just okay - not like a good goey oatmeal cookie or anything

if you do it - repost on here how they were

Last edited by blissfullyblessed; 04-05-2007 at 06:51 PM.
blissfullyblessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
chrisandjames
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for posting My kids are too young - but I will save this to my computer for future Easter's to come.