Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
idnar82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
An Unexpected 3 Across Success!

DH was home watching the kiddos as I ran out to an appointment yesterday only to find out that I needed him to be with me (it was to get a new military ID). ANYWAY, on my way home to retrieve him and all 3 kiddos, I got a very flat tire in my van! AHHHH!

He woke the kids up from naps and I prayed as I quickly attempted to get 3 of our car seats installed in his Saturn Vue. I had never actually tried this before but had hoped it would work since we have a Radian in our car seat mix...and sure enough...

It worked!!! And it only took me about 10 minutes! (But it did require DH's strength to get that Radian in tight enough!)

And then we all headed out to the ID appointment. Not fun...but at least we got there safely!

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: An Unexpected 3 Across Success!

Awesome It may just be the angle of the picture but the Radian looks way too reclined. And what harness slot is he on? I believe as long as he is on the 3rd from the bottom the headwings need to be pushed down. He looks a lot taller than my DD so I would imagine he is on the 3rd if not 4th slot.

Last edited by TalkinBoutMyGirl; 08-09-2011 at 09:21 AM.
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just so you know for the purposes of front to back room, the Graco bucket does not require that the handle be down in the car, it can be up. The Radian does look a bit over reclined. To fix that, pull the boot away from the bight and push down where their feet go as hard as you can while tightening.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
idnar82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the info about the Graco bucket seat handle!! The Radian did seem over-reclined for my 2 1/2 year old. Its actually the baby's seat, but since it was the narrowest seat we had, I used instead of one of DS1's Britax seats. If I was keeping it in that car, I would definitely go play with it some more, but since having it be in there at all was just an emergency quick fix, I am not too concerned. In my van, our seat bottoms are super slanted so the Radian gets a beautiful perfect recline without having to struggle at all! In this vehicle, the seats are flat, so it was very awkward. Actually, I had it in better, but then when I loaded my son into it, I could adjust the harness at all...it wouldn't tighten. Turns out the seat must have been in there so tight it was squishing the bottom of the seat where the belt slides (does that even make sense?)

Anyway, we ended up having to loosen the LATCH a tad to be able to get the harness adjusted right and then having to retighten the seat with him strapped in. My husband was on top of my son pulling the LATCH belt, haha! Crazy strange. I will definitely say that our Britax seats are a breeze compared to this thing!

Also, my son's strap height was on the 4th slot up...my manual isn't in front of me...were the headwings supposed to be down? Normally the seat is used for the baby, so they stay up. I didn't even think about them when I loaded in my big boy :-)

Thanks for your input! In a pinch, I am glad all these seats fit in there safely. But I am SO glad I have a van that fits everything so much nicer :-)
Old 08-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

The Vue is pretty three across friendly. I have been able to fit three across with some large seats involved. I think you did great in a pinch.