Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How can we help our light sleeper?

sounds like you have a tension increaser.

CIO only works (IMHO) with kids who are tension releasers. I agree with a great deal of this article:
http://moxie.blogs.com/askmoxie/2006...s_and_cio.html

So, if you think that your kid fits the description in the article, you might need to look at other sleep solutions. I don't know what it is, but some people talk about the 'Sleep Lady' methods being good for kids who are increasers.

Mine is a releaser, so I know if she wakes up fussing, that I need to wait a few minutes and see if she'll go down on her own again or need me. If your kid is escalating to the point of standing and screaming, I think you'll have to go about sleep training in a different way.

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, that sounds like him a lot! I think the only thing the crying does is help tire the poor kid out.

I think I might try dropping the morning nap and then continuing the more gentle approach we've been taking to get him sleeping in the crib (because it IS working, just more slowly than we'd like it to). Perhaps he will sleep better if he's more tired (i.e., only napping once per day). The crib is still a new concept, so I guess I can just hope that he'll get more and more used to it.

The worst is just when he wakes up in the crib upset. It's really hard to get him back to sleep after that without at least taking him out for awhile. He gets worked up quickly.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #13
willamsky
Registered Users

sleep training, too
willamsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #14
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Your LO sounds a lot like DD back in time. I was so desperate to get her to sleep so that I could rest. I even tried CIO and man...Never again!

I read probably every "how to get your baby to sleep" book out there and liked No-Cry Sleep Solution and The Secrets of the Baby Whisperer the most. The second one helped us the most. If you type in the name into google search, you will find a very very helpful forum.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #15
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

^ Thank you! I will check it out.

2,014 items in 2014?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #16
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NAK DS1 is/was the same way. OMG... I NEVER slept. He just recently started staying asleep at night.. the past 3 nights (he turned 2 April 28th) he slept through until 5-6 and then I could go in and get him back down for a little longer. But, seriously, he was up every HOUR, w/a sound machine and fan on.. with a routine before bed including a warm bath, book, ect ect. We tried EVERYTHING. Even Melatonin before bed to help him wind down (and we still do do that because we have a NB...and need him to fall asleep quicker than the normal hour it would take without.)
I too would never let him CIO... but I wish I did. He still will not go to sleep w/out me.. or he'll bang his head on the wall and hurt himself. I'm not telling you to do it, but I'm saying in hindsight; doing it before he got to the point of self-injury for attention's sake is what I should have done.
Good luck mama!! It's never easy.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #17
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

^ Oh no! You poor thing. I hope it doesn't come to that. I haven't tried putting him in his crib in the middle of the night yet... by that point I just bring him to bed (usually around midnight or 1am).

Last night he went down in his crib at 8pm, and we ended up bringing him in to bed around midnight. He woke up probably 3 times in between. DH went up to get him, rocked him, and he easily would go back to sleep. He just wouldn't STAY asleep.

Skipped the morning nap today, got him down around noon for his nap (in his crib) and, like clockwork, he woke up 40 minutes later. When I got in the room he was already sitting up. I picked him up, rocked him (while standing up), then tried to set him back down. He fussed and I tried rubbing his back... he was ALMOST back to sleep then forced himself awake and started crying again. I decided to just take him back downstairs and he immediately fell asleep on the couch (just like yesterday's nap).

If we're going to drop a nap I want to make sure that the nap that he DOES take is a good one, so that's why I opted to go this route. Yesterday when we did this, he ended up sleeping for about 2 hours and 20 minutes (he usually only naps for 1 hour 15 minutes, sometimes a bit longer). So my plan is to continue doing this until he's used to one nap a day and then reevaluate.

Overall I'm still pretty pleased with the crib situation and how he's transitioning, and that we've been successful in starting out the night in there and starting out his naps in there. I just wish he would STAY ASLEEP! lol

2,014 items in 2014?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am going crazy tonight.

Got him down at 7pm. He slept for 40 minutes. Woke up. Wouldn't settle back down, got him up, rocked him, he fell asleep. Put him back in the crib, he woke up and started screaming. I've been battling it since. He even fell asleep for a few minutes, then jolted himself awake (because heaven forbid the kid SLEEP, what a TERRIBLE CONCEPT). Then he was almost asleep, then decided to flip out again.

So now he's crying up there and I turned the monitor off (not like I need it! I can hear him just fine down here) and I'm trying not to cry, or drink heavily, or break something.

I just don't get it. But I do get why people CIO. And I'm getting closer to it every day, because at this point he's just being ridiculous. I'm only one person... battling someone with the bullheadedness of about five persons. lskdjflsdkjflskdj

2,014 items in 2014?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, finally got him settled back down and he's asleep. Quick, set the timer!

edit: I'm borrowing a copy of The No-Cry Sleep Solution from a friend. Going to start reading it tomorrow!

2,014 items in 2014?

Last edited by wordbox; 08-10-2011 at 07:09 PM.