Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Zookeeper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wasn't expecting to tandem...

Hi Mamas, just could use a little support here...my ODS self weaned at 19 months when I was 28 weeks pregnant with DS2. He didn't seem interested in nursing again in May when his brother arrived, but about 3 weeks ago he asked to nurse. I had really wanted him to reach two years, so I was excited that he wanted to again. My problem is not that we are tandem nursing now, just that my feelings have changed and I feel guilty. I won't tell him that he can't, but sometimes nursing a toddler feels like my nipples are being torn off now. My little guy feels so right, but it is sometimes really physically and mentally uncomfortable for me with my 2 year old Will I get used to nursing a toddler again and have it feel as "right" again, or do I just need to deal with the discomfort until he is truly finished? Anyone else experience this where an older child started nursing again after a baby arrived? Sorry this is so long, I just feel guilty about how I'm feeling. How ridiculous did that sentence sound?!

~Rachel

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Zookeeper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
hoping for some thoughts...

~Rachel
Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Wasn't expecting to tandem...

Did his latch get sloppy in the time when he wasn't nursing? I sometimes found it very difficult to nurse in pregnancy--feeling impatient and irritable, the nipple pain--but once my DS was born, that went away and my DD's latch is generally better than the baby's. Maybe you can work with him to improve his latch? I did that with my DD when I was pregnant to try to ease the discomfort. Our mantra was no teeth and stick your tongue out. And I positioned her so she had to look up to latch on.

Also, are you nursing them at the same time? I never do that because it just seems to overwhelming (I've never even tried). They take turns. It feels more do-able to me that way. Maybe that would help?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
Zookeeper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wasn't expecting to tandem...

I have tried to nurse them at the same time, but I don't feel as comfortable doing it. I will try working on his latch, he doesn't use his teeth, but I can feel them for sure. They leave indentations on my breast after he nurses. Nursing the baby is more comfortable for me right now, so maybe he did get sloppy in the 4 months he didn't nurse. That would make sense, thank you! Glad to get something I can try to work on.