Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Who do you let drive your child/ren around?

We need an all-day babysitter for DS (16 months) in a few weeks so we can take a birthing class. MIL will be at their vacation house for the week (which is much closer to us than their actual home), and offered to watch him, but only if she could meet us halfway to pick DS up (50 miles), keep him for 2 nights, and then come to our house to drop him off (100 miles).

The thought of letting her do this makes me break out in a cold sweat. Part of it is being away from him for so long, but I mostly don't trust her to drive that much with him in the car. She's overly critical about him 'still' RFing, and from what I've seen, she's pretty casual about carseat usage with his older cousin (DH's nephew) - so, I don't trust her to restrain him properly, and it's not going to happen.

Anyway, all that to ask: Who do you trust to drive your kid(s) around? DS has never ridden with anyone besides me or DH - are we freakishly overprotective?

Advertisement

sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who do you let drive your child/ren around?

At 16 months? No way!

FWIW, pretty much anyone if I would trust enough to let them babysit in the first place, I would trust them enough to drive.

But, if you have a best friend, "Grandma" from your church, or even a very trustworthy student who could come and babysit at your house, you wouldn't have to worry much about the driving issue.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My mom only. Period. No one else even bothers to ask anymore. I have learned others (at least my in laws) agree to your terms to get their way, then do as they please when your out of sight.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well DD has ridden with my mom, ex sil and my nephew(20 years old) alone. She didn't do this til 5 years old at the earliest though. She has ridden with me in the car also in my mom's car(both old and new one), my dad's truck, and above people's vehicles, my other ex sil's old van and I think that is about it. Oh yeah my dad's wife's car.
I did make the mistake of letting my mom's husband drive my DD a whole 10 feet if that in a parking lot in his car(same type as my mom's old one) but he put her in the front with the airbag! After us telling him not to! So yeah not happy there. And he will never drive her again without me in the car. Even then I don't like his driving much.

If your not comfortable don't let him go! Go with your gut mama.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My parents and the in-laws drive with my kids. My parents are wonderful about carseat usage and have two seats installed in their vehicle for the kids. My MIL is great, too, but she never takes DD with her. My FIL will oblige by my carseat demands, but he's way too lax, IMO. Thankfully it's not a huge issue since DS is in a booster, although he much prefers a no-back booster

He got all bent out of shape last month, while we were all on vacation together. We were going to a downtown parade, for the 4th of July, and he had driven his truck out to the location early that morning to save our spots, and his wife (not my MIL) drove him back to the campsite. Come time to leave we realized that DS' seat was in FIL's truck down at the location of the parade. He tried getting us to let DS ride with him any way because "this is Leakey (small town in TX) and nothing happens here. It takes 4 minutes to get to the site". Nope, not gonna happen. He got all huffy about my DH driving down to the site, taking the seat out of FIL's truck, and driving back to the campsite to get us. Oh well, I'd rather be safe and piss off FIL, than to take any chances with my kids' safety.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

The only ones who drive my kids are dh and I and well the bus drivers during school time. I don't let anyone else drive my kids, it freaks me out all the what if's that can happen.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've let my MIL drive her, but that's very sparingly as she doesn't know how to fasten the 5-point harness (DD ends up with one strap behind her back), and that's only when she's meeting me somewhere. I'm trying to show DD (age 3) how the straps go so she can be the one to correct MIL when she does it wrong, lol.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha-nanagins View Post
At 16 months? No way!

FWIW, pretty much anyone if I would trust enough to let them babysit in the first place, I would trust them enough to drive.

But, if you have a best friend, "Grandma" from your church, or even a very trustworthy student who could come and babysit at your house, you wouldn't have to worry much about the driving issue.
Yep, that's what we always do. We aren't totally desperate for a babysitter yet, that's just how the situation came up and I'm rambling about it, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THBVsMama View Post
He got all bent out of shape last month, while we were all on vacation together. We were going to a downtown parade, for the 4th of July, and he had driven his truck out to the location early that morning to save our spots, and his wife (not my MIL) drove him back to the campsite. Come time to leave we realized that DS' seat was in FIL's truck down at the location of the parade. He tried getting us to let DS ride with him any way because "this is Leakey (small town in TX) and nothing happens here. It takes 4 minutes to get to the site". Nope, not gonna happen. He got all huffy about my DH driving down to the site, taking the seat out of FIL's truck, and driving back to the campsite to get us. Oh well, I'd rather be safe and piss off FIL, than to take any chances with my kids' safety.
Oh my Lord, don't get me started on FIL. He's completely happy to use carseats correctly - but, hey, he better be because he also thinks it's OK to drive DH's nephew around after he's had 2 or 3 drinks. And DH's brother and his girlfriend don't really see the harm in that, as long as they *gasp* don't have to ever watch their own kid.

OK, sorry, major rant, but they make me SO FURIOUS.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I haven't yet found anyone who offered that I didn't trust. It's not something that happens very often, though, and typically, if anyone is driving them around, it's family. My FIL has learned over the years that when SIL and I say the kids have to be buckled in the correct seat, that they have to be. He's argued with us before, but we always win. My parents and my MIL have me put the seat in to make sure it's in correctly and whatnot. The few friends that I've had drive my kids all have kids of their own and while they have not all had their kids in certain seats as long as I have, they used the seats correctly and followed the law, at least.

If I did not trust that the person would respect my rules in the car, then my child wouldn't go. That simple.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
The only ones who drive my kids are dh and I and well the bus drivers during school time. I don't let anyone else drive my kids, it freaks me out all the what if's that can happen.
That's pretty much how I feel about it, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coquelicot View Post
I've let my MIL drive her, but that's very sparingly as she doesn't know how to fasten the 5-point harness (DD ends up with one strap behind her back), and that's only when she's meeting me somewhere. I'm trying to show DD (age 3) how the straps go so she can be the one to correct MIL when she does it wrong, lol.
My mom always rides in the back to hang out with DS when we're all going somewhere, so she'd buckle him in and then I'd re-check it and tell her what she did wrong. After a couple times of doing it, I noticed her muttering "Buckle, buckle, buckle. Tighten. Can't pinch the straps. It's a CHEST clip, not a BELLY clip!" as she buckled him in.