Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: Who do you let drive your child/ren around?

Right now just my mom and neighbor as dad hasn't gotten the hang of the car seat but we're going to get his own in case of emergency and he's going to learn one way or another. Both my parents fully support RF to the point my dad got us a new seat to support it. Its RF or not at all.

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

My dad and step-mother are the only ones. The In-laws live far away and MIL is aware of the fact she is a bad driver so we've never had an issue there.
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We don't know anyone here but if we did, family members only. And only after I have installed the car seat.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I have a babysitter (SAHM) watching my kids when I go to my weekly appointments since they are 80 miles away at the birth center. She does drive my kids if she needs to- like to take her DD to school- but I install the car seats myself DD is 4 1/2 and harnessed and DS is 2 1/2 and rear facing so I'm not overly concerned. I would be way more concerned if someone else installed their seats, that would make me nervous.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

If they don't agree with you openly when you are there, they aren't going to follow what you do when you aren't there. This has been 100% true with our family. No way would she be watching my lo. Honestly I let my mil and fil drive the kids, but they totally respect our car seat rules. They aren't allowed to adjust the straps, let the kids in the carseat with even a jacket on or move the car seats. If they do this they know they are out as far as seeing the kids alone. We also know that fil drives safely.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #16
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

anyone that I really trust and that I know will respect my wishes. For me this includes, both sets of grandparents, my brothers, and a few good mommy friends of mine.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ummmm perhaps I'm on the opposite side of things I trust lots of people to drive my kids around. Basically if I have been in the car with them and they don't drive like crazy people and I would trust them to watch my kids in general then of course they can drive my kids. I do get a little nervous when my neice takes them (she's just turned 18) but she is so responsible I know they are going to be ok. Other than her, my mom, ILs, my SIL, my brother, my nephew, mommy friends, her "aunt", my BFF and her husband.

Last edited by Just2fornow; 08-09-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Just2fornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #18
cbreeding
Registered Users

Other than DH and I, my MIL and BFF.

BFF has no children of her own so very little experience with baby contraptions such as the carseat. We installed the carseat and then explained with words and by showing her how to properly buckle DD. Then we had her show us- which she was glad of because she didn't really have a question until she tried to do it herself.

MIL doesn't get the whole carseat- whether FF or RF- thing, but knows it's the law and also respects our parenting decision even if she doesn't understand it. Again, we installed the carseat and then did a run down on buckling/positioning just like with BFF.

One thing we put on the straps was sort of like a rubber band (more sturdy and durable) so that the chest buckle couldn't be pushed down. This was due to DD constantly pushing it down and not anyone else, but it helped both BFF and MIL position the buckle correctly.

Also, both MIL and BFF are good drivers. So willingness to adhere to our carseat standards and good drivers equals getting to drive DD.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #19
settles
Registered Users
seller

People have driven my truck but I have been in it.

DD (11 months) hasn't been in a vehicle without me and I'm sure I'll have a really hard time letting her go with anyone.
settles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
joslin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Depending upon the hours you need to be away I would ask her to come to you, (maybe make it out as if you worry that DS would not sleep well or feel comfortable staying elsewhere), she could come up early that morning and stay the night- or stay the night before and go home when you guys came home from the class.

Last edited by joslin; 08-11-2011 at 05:06 PM.
joslin is offline   Reply With Quote