Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
sarahhh1
Registered Users

Car seat for a week

We are flying to my parents house, and don't want to take DD's seat on the plane, so we're going to buy one and have it shipped there.

The cosco scenera has been recommended, and I know that we're going to need to have a pool noodle on hand, just in case.

Are there any other seats in the $75 or less range that might be easier to install so we don't have to deal with the pool noodle?

Is there anything else we should have on hand just in case we need it while we are trying to install the seat at the airport?

Also, what's the best way to store the seat when we are done with it.

It will only be used for this trip, and for any future little ones that are "lap babies" on the plane.

Thanks.

Advertisement

sarahhh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Car seat for a week

The Evenflo Tribute is easier to install than the Scenera and not much more expensive. Have you traveled with a lap baby before? I will not do it again, even for a very short flight. Aside from the dangers, it is a royal pain in the butt to hold a baby, especially a toddler on a plane. Your plan to not check a seat is really good but if you can afford a seat on the plane for your DD you might want to look in to it as an option. For us traveling by plane has been much lower stress when baby has his own seat.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
Kayleen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You don't have to have a pool noodle. A tightly rolled towel, receiving blanket will work as well, just as long as you get the angle you are looking for.
Kayleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleen View Post
You don't have to have a pool noodle. A tightly rolled towel, receiving blanket will work as well, just as long as you get the angle you are looking for.
This.
Not sure we used one that my mom borrowed from a trusted friend when I traveled with a lap baby. I actually didn't mind having a lap baby at all. My sling was awesome! Even on the plane I used it. My DD slept in it while on the plane and I was handsfree, well more or less. I still kept one on her but I didn't have sleepy arm or anything. My DD was 7 mos and newly crawling when she and I left for the vacation, she was 8 mos and cruising all over on the way back. She wasn't fussy or anything.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

There are FAA regulations against wearing your baby during takeoff and landing. It makes baby your own personal airbag. Wearing baby through the airport works great but on the airplane it's not a good idea.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
sarahhh1
Registered Users

Thank you all for your advice. We checked out the seats at our Walmart last night, and they are the same price in the store, just not online. I'm really glad we can use towels instead of pool noodles, that will make things easier.

Thanks for the advice on the lap baby too. I'm sure it's interesting with a toddler on the lap, but another plane ticket is too expensive for now.
sarahhh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
There are FAA regulations against wearing your baby during takeoff and landing. It makes baby your own personal airbag. Wearing baby through the airport works great but on the airplane it's not a good idea.
Very interesting. Where did you hear that? As of 2003 when I wore DD on take off once and landing once. I was fine. Wore her during the whole second flight minus the last 15 min when a flight attendant made me wake her and pull her out. I complained since I had done it on the previous flight, the airline backed me! So I highly doubt they would go against FAA regulations and apologize to me.

I don't understand how the baby would be my own personal airbag anymore then if she is in my arms.

I personally think it is safer(got the sling and arms to hold baby if it got bumpy then just arms). There are also things that you can use to strap baby to you in same situation again, doubt FAA would allow that.
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=323&parentCategoryId=85184&c ategoryId=85218&subCategoryId=86218

ETA: Just read the take off landing part. I wanted to Laugh. What is the point? The most turbulence I have ever experience in 32 years of flying in all size planes from prop jobs to 747's was on take off and landing. I saw it used just last month on one of my flights for the whole flight. No questions asked.

Last edited by mommy2kaitlyn; 08-10-2011 at 06:36 PM.
mommy2kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahhh1 View Post
Thank you all for your advice. We checked out the seats at our Walmart last night, and they are the same price in the store, just not online. I'm really glad we can use towels instead of pool noodles, that will make things easier.

Thanks for the advice on the lap baby too. I'm sure it's interesting with a toddler on the lap, but another plane ticket is too expensive for now.
Don't worry about the ticket. I was 2 when we flew to Germany. My mom said I spent 75% of the 8 hr flight in her lap! She said I had a fit when I had to sit in my own seat on take off and landing. So I vote if you don't have to buy it, don't. You could end up with wasted money. I have seen babies never sit in their seats, well if they do they just scream even recently.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Lap babies aren't safe period but they must be held. I don't understand why your purse and laptop have to be secured but a baby does not.

http://babybair.com/faq.html

Here is states that nothing is FAA approved for taxi, takeoff, and landing other than FAA approved car seats.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=34422

It is stated several times in this thread that slings are not FAA approved and you are not permitted to have a lap baby in anything other than your arms.

I don't have the time to dig through the FAA website further. Their search function sucks.

OP I encourage you to go to car-seat.org and do some searching on this subject. There are several people there that will give you a different perspective on lap babies.

Last edited by monica-m; 08-10-2011 at 07:43 PM.
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I'm assuming if their were forces great enough to make baby your own personal air bag, then in arms only you would've already dropped them, right?