Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #11
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My new dd was 8 14 at birth and 8.4 at her 1 week. She was at 8.15 at her 2 week which my dr said was "textbook" so what they are hoping or going for. So ge said they should be just slightly over birth weight at 2 weeks. But I wouldn't see that your baby is in any harm. I don't think I would be concerned if it was my baby...

Advertisement

A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #12
poppan
Registered Users
seller

If the pedi is concerned they might suggest going back for a weight check the next day? And if that one is OK they might suggest another one the following day. At least, that's what my pedi would do. She wouldn't push me to supplement unless we see a clear non-gaining trend.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 08-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Updating from my phone! guess I was worried for nothing! Edeltraud was up to 8lbs 4oz! What a relief!

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011
Old 08-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am glad you had nothing to worry about! So was that other scale just really off, or what?

aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:53 AM   #15
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aept
I am glad you had nothing to worry about! So was that other scale just really off, or what?

Exactly! Lesson learned.

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011
Old 08-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #16
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: NB weight questions.

Glad she is healthy All of mine have lost quite a bit and have been slow to gain. Congrats on your new little one!!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #17
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post

I had a very difficult pre-birth where I was given over 5 litres of iv fluid and other iv fluids on top of that. I'm wondering if this could have effected her birthweight?

Tell me I'm needlessly worried.
First off, CONGRATULATIONS on your newbie!!!

I quoted you because you hit the nail on the head, so to speak. There are actually some studies (I'll try to find them, tomorrow - gotta get to bed ) that show there is a relationship between Mom receiving fluids during labor and baby's weight & weight loss after birth.

I seriously don't think her beginning weight was very accurate, given all your extra fluid. Put it this way, a normal amount of fluid intake in 24 hrs is 2 liters, max. 5 liters is way more than normal and absolutely (in my opinion and experience) caused baby's weight to be misrepresented at birth. She very well might have been around 7 lbs 11 oz at birth, but with all the extra fluid, it made her weigh more for a short time till she peed it off.

Like you pointed out, look at the whole picture. Does she seem satisfied? Is she peeing, pooping enough? Are her mucous membranes (inside of her lips) moist? Is her poop moist and soft, or hard and thick?

I'd have her weighed again in a week, on same scale, if you can, and see what she is from the 2 week weight. That will give you a better idea.

GL! Don't stress. She is probably just fine. You are a great Mommy!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #18
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I just read through the rest of the thread... I'm so glad it all worked out.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #19
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbaloosa View Post
A friend of mine had her baby weigh in same as her birthweight at the 2 month checkup...that's when they had her start supplementing. Come to find out...when she cried she never had tears and she nursed almost constantly.
Its actually a common misconception that newborns should have tears when they cry. They don't actually develop the ability to make tears for 2-4 months, so that isn't a good indicator of hydration. Just wanted to debunk that myth.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #20
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
Well I will give you my kids stats BUT take them with a grain of salt because I have been told that my kids aren't the norm.

DD1 - Birth Weight 8 lbs 1 oz left the hospital at her birth weight (apparently NOT NORMAL) Was something like 8 1/2 pounds at her 1 week appt

DS - Birth Weight 8 lbs 2 oz left the hospital at 7 lbs 14 ounces and was like 8 lbs 3 oz by his 1 week appt (12 pounds at his 2 month appt)

DD2 (newbie!) - Birth Weight 8 lbs 2 oz left the hospital at 7 lbs 12 ounces and was 8 lbs 6 ounces at her 1 week appt (12 ounces in 5 days!). She is currently 11 pounds 6 ounces and will be 6 weeks on Thursday.

I have BIG babies that gain weight out the gate really fast and then slow down around 8 months and thin out at around 2 or 3. I think they like to see birth weight regained by 2 weeks but that is just a general, if she has good output of pee and poop I would not be concerned UNLESS she starts losing weight OR she plateaus because then it could be something like a malabsorption issue etc. (I had to have DS tested for everything under the sun because after 2 months he began LOSING weight and could not gain and ended up being 16 pounds at a year old after being 12 pounds at 2 months) His ended up being an issue with digesting certain foods.
That's awesome. I think my LO was similar.

Born @ 5 lbs 7.5 oz
24 hrs later, left the hospital @ 5 lbs 7 oz
2 wk check - 6 lbs 11 oz

The nurse wanted to know what I was supplementing with. I told her nothing. Just BF. She just stared.... I think she thought I was either lying or stupid, so she asked again. I told her again "Nothing extra. Just exclusively breastfeeding". More staring...