Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
A.Fred
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
yeast rash = needing stay dry??

I know what to do as far as washing the dipes..but my question is..does that mean I should start sticking with stay dry only??

Advertisement

Last edited by A.Fred; 08-09-2011 at 06:11 PM.
A.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: yeast rash = needing stay dry??

Not necessarily. Stay dry (in my mind anyways) generally also equals less breathable (i.e. pockets or AIO's) which would help yeast grow.

If my LO was prone to yeast, I would use all cotton for two reasons. One, for the breathability factor and 2. so that I could use creams/ointments etc. and feel secure that they would wash out.

Some people would also go so far as to say also use wool or fleece covers but I stick mostly with pul covers and have good results with sensitive skin. We do like fleece, but still have plenty of pul.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think dd being in pockets made her healing time longer with yeast. I have stuck with flats and pf's when she has a yeast infection, it seems like it took less than a week for it to be all cleared up. Don't forget to bleach, sunning and vinegar does not kill yeast. TTO worked great for us too in the wash, about 1-2 tsp. I've heard that GFSE works to, never tried it though.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
A.Fred
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

hmm that's a good point about the breathability. Although..something like a stay dry fitted..do you think that's still breathable? I use mostly fleece and wool. He actually developed the rash/yeast infection during a week that we were on vacation and in disposables..

and thank you for the tip on cleaning! I did a hot wash with 1/4c bleach..then another hot wash with TTO then another hot wash to do a bit of a rinse lol..
Old 08-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think a stay dry fitted would be better than a pocket, esp if you covered it with fleece or wool, but an all cotton fitted might be best. It really depends on the LO's tolerance.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
A.Fred
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

so cotton is better than say..hemp or bamboo??
Old 08-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it will depend on your LOs skin and whatever may have triggered the yeast rash in the first place. Stay-dry fabric means that the skin won't feel as wet as it would next to natural fibers. I do think fleece or wool covers offer a breathability advantage. My DS could only wear fleece or wool covers and he had to have stay-dry inners as well; his skin is pretty sensitive. Even now, at 27 months old, he can have natural fiber diapers for only 1-2 changes, then he'll need a stay-dry or his skin will get rashy. You may want to try both b/c I don't know that you can really predict it There are stay-dry pocket fitteds available as well as stay-dry fitteds, both of which can be used with fleece or wool covers.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:56 AM   #8
eapoosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Fred View Post
so cotton is better than say..hemp or bamboo??
cotton, hemp or bamboo are going to be fine components when dealing with any rash or yeast. Cotton would probably be your best loose weave during any irritatioin times.

Microfiber, PUL, Zorb, Minky, Microfleece and all going to be fabrics you may wish to stay clear of. they are also fabrics that come with about a 50% sensitivity too if not allergy due to the synthetic/unnatural properties.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
A.Fred
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=eapoosmama;13537154
Microfiber, PUL, Zorb, Minky, Microfleece and all going to be fabrics you may wish to stay clear of. they are also fabrics that come with about a 50% sensitivity too if not allergy due to the synthetic/unnatural properties.[/QUOTE]

ohh..so in that case..stay dry is not so awesome? I think pretty much all my stay dry is microfleece maybe? Or could it be just fleece? Not really sure how to know. What about suedecloth..bad idea as well?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapoosmama View Post
cotton, hemp or bamboo are going to be fine components when dealing with any rash or yeast. Cotton would probably be your best loose weave during any irritatioin times.

Microfiber, PUL, Zorb, Minky, Microfleece and all going to be fabrics you may wish to stay clear of. they are also fabrics that come with about a 50% sensitivity too if not allergy due to the synthetic/unnatural properties.
I thought it would be helpful to elaborate on this b/c IDK if it's fair to lump these all together.

Microfiber can irritate baby skin if it's touching the skin. It will actually pull moisture out of the skin. I hate to touch microfiber, my hands tend to be dry and it snags them and give me a creepy-crawly feeling.

PUL doesn't breathe well, so LOs who need more air circulation to their skin might get rashy in PUL b/c it holds in more heat and moisture than breathable covers.

Zorb is very absorbent and, similarly to microfiber, it can pull moisture out of skin and should have something covering it.

Minky/microfleece are polyester so if a LO is sensitive to synthetic fabrics then these might irritate and should be avoided.

I have never heard of 50% sensitivity to these fabrics that implies half of all babies will be sensitive to the materials...yet they are commonly used! I think the percentage of babies who are sensitive is quite small otherwise you wouldn't find the biggest brands of pocket diapers using PUL, microfiber, microfleece and suedecloth.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote