Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
eapoosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: yeast rash = needing stay dry??

I would not say to completely rule them out. Some people (other 50%) do really well with them and the type of system works.

It would be my suggestion to have a mix of diapers in your stash and if you see during a time of extra sensitivity that something works better than others than you know what to stay clear of.

The noted fabrics are synthetics. With any yeast your best bet is going to be cotton, it breaths, easy to clean thoroughly, if they are prefolds you can add a tiny tiny bit of bleach to completely kill off any yeast in the diapers without destroying your diapers or bumping your diaper warrenty. Cotton in particular does not get detergent or ph buildup in them as easily that exaserbates a more delilcate situation.

Stay dry synthetics pull to other places, but if you are changing a cotton diaper in timely manner you are also manually creating a stay dry environment without a synthetic fabric, which is ideally the best air circulation for little bums.

Take or leave, add it to your information or use to amend to your specific needs. I am just offering thoughts, understandings of fabric and observations over 10 years of making diapers and 22 years since I received shower diapers for my first child. Toss it all or maybe there is one little tidbit that is helpful in my post, either way, Good luck!

Advertisement

Last edited by eapoosmama; 08-11-2011 at 09:06 AM.
eapoosmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
A.Fred
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

awesome that is all very helpful info!
A.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
eapoosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

"I have never heard of 50% sensitivity to these fabrics that implies half of all babies will be sensitive to the materials...yet they are commonly used! I think the percentage of babies who are sensitive is quite small otherwise you wouldn't find the biggest brands of pocket diapers using PUL, microfiber, microfleece and suedecloth."

this reply is largely in response to the above statement.

50% is not a statistic but a 10 year observation backed up by the multitudes of yeast, changing of diaper system needs and constant stripping needs that are documented in thread after thread in all the diaper forums I have visited over the years. I am applying an approximation percentage based upon my observations there is no findings of my own to document this number however it is easy for any diapering consumer to go into the threads and read the constant complaining for themselves about the issues with synthetics. As noted in my recent post that I was typing, there are another 1/2 that do exceptionally well. My biggest point to those post is that during yeast, synthetic is not a premium choice. Before one invests in a stash at any size they should know how there child is going to do with the fabric, many children don't do well with polyester and for many reasons. I stopped making microfleece diapers years ago as it gave both my boys rashes everytime I used it at night thinking it was a stay dry helper. For us, it was not -- that was 12 years ago I have made a lot of observations since. But to the OP please don't believe me....go do your own research then you will know what is most fitting to you. There will be many who do great but I think you may be surprised at just how many equally have incurred the experiences I noted.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #14
eapoosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapoosmama View Post
"I have never heard of 50% sensitivity to these fabrics that implies half of all babies will be sensitive to the materials...yet they are commonly used! I think the percentage of babies who are sensitive is quite small otherwise you wouldn't find the biggest brands of pocket diapers using PUL, microfiber, microfleece and suedecloth."

this reply is largely in response to the above statement.

50% is not a statistic but a 10 year observation backed up by the multitudes of yeast, changing of diaper system needs and constant stripping needs that are documented in thread after thread in all the diaper forums I have visited over the years. I am applying an approximation percentage based upon my observations there is no findings of my own to document this number however it is easy for any diapering consumer to go into the threads and read the constant complaining for themselves about the issues with synthetics. As noted in my recent post that I was typing, there are another 1/2 that do exceptionally well. My biggest point to those post is that during yeast, synthetic is not a premium choice. Before one invests in a stash at any size they should know how there child is going to do with the fabric, many children don't do well with polyester and for many reasons. I stopped making microfleece diapers years ago as it gave both my boys rashes everytime I used it at night thinking it was a stay dry helper. For us, it was not -- that was 12 years ago I have made a lot of observations since. But to the OP please don't believe me....go do your own research then you will know what is most fitting to you. There will be many who do great but I think you may be surprised at just how many equally have incurred the experiences I noted. too much time on this thread....off to the park, my kids are waiting. Good Luck!

Last edited by eapoosmama; 08-11-2011 at 09:27 AM.
eapoosmama is offline   Reply With Quote