Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
Doodlebrainette
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Natural Hair Color

My DS has bright orange/red hair and I've been asked that ever since he was about 3 days old. I was shocked anyone would even think of me dying a 3 day old baby's hair! I guess they do, though (think of it, not necessarly do it lol). My DD2 has curly hair and people began asking me if I permed it when she was less than one year old. Again.....chemicals, baby.....HUH? My hair is brown and straight. DH's is blonde & straight. I guess that is why we get the strange comments. The only one I don't get asked about is my oldest, who has a carbon copy of her daddy's blonde hair.

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
blackberry75
Registered Users

As a red head, I can tell you it's never going to stop. My mom says she got asked that question back in the '70's when I was itty bitty. I still get asked if I dye my hair. When people ask me where I get my color I tell them pheomelanin. Very rarely does anyone get that pheomelanin is related to melatonin, then they ask if it's made by Clairol I know it's mean, but after 30+ years, it's an annoying question to hear all the time.

Oh, and about the Asian ladies loving red heads; when I was 1ish we went camping. There was a group of ladies from, I think, China. Every single one of them asked my mom if they could touch my hair before they went to Bingo. I still have a picture of me with several of their daughters. Both my parents love telling that camping story. Apparently I was a perpetual motion baby and every time she set me down one of them would ask if they could carry me for a bit. Mom didn't mind because they where very respectful and stayed close to her the whole time they had me. She says it was the best vacation ever when we where young. Her arms and back actually got a rest because I'd started fighting her when she tried to put me in the sling.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #13
willamsky
Registered Users

great color it is.
willamsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #14
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have three red heads and I never been asked that. I am asked where they get it from and how did I end up with three with red hair but no one asked if it was real or if it was dyed. Some people mention they would love to have that color or people would pay to dye their hair that color.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 08-10-2011 at 12:33 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #15
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a redhead and when I was a kid I always wore a hat out in public because I was so upset by all the STUPID comments people would make.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #16
mrsmusic
Registered Users
seller

You'd be surprised... but some women dye their kids hair so that they can make their OWN dyed hair look like it is natural.
Bri helpmeet to Chaise (9/10/11). Attachment parenting, no circ, no longer vaccinating, pro-life, Christian, homeschooling preemie mama to K (27wks on 2/17/07) AIH Type 1 with PSC overlap and M (33wks on 3/4/09) Gluten Freeand A (37 weeks! on 2/3/11)
Follow my blog: Music Notes
mrsmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As a red head and a mom of 4 red heads (DH is red head too) I get asked all the time about mine if it is dyed-- um no.

I have gotten a few comments about the kids hair. This is my standard line:

"My kids were doomed from the start, pale white skin and red hair. We have boughten stocks in sunscreen."

Maybe not very nice but I am so tired of the comments
Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #18
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

Yikes! I'm a gtfo my personal bubble kind of person and I dread this. DS has dark brownish-red hair right now, but it's steadily lightening, and in the sun is SUPER obvious. I'm not looking forward to morons if it keep getting lighter.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #19
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Yikes! I'm a gtfo my personal bubble kind of person and I dread this. DS has dark brownish-red hair right now, but it's steadily lightening, and in the sun is SUPER obvious. I'm not looking forward to morons if it keep getting lighter.
Sounds like my oldest. None of mine were all out redheads at birth. My oldest had brownish red but it was obvious in the sun, my middle was a strawberry blond at birth and my youngest had darker brown hair with just a hint of red but mostly brown like in my avi.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #20
cbreeding
Registered Users

It must be a red head thing. My oldest DD is a red head, but it's not bright if that makes sense. It's more on the brownish side, but it still is definitely red. While I've never had anyone ask if it's dyed, I do get the "where did the red come from" as I have dark brown hair. Or people will compliment her (or I) and the color and then say "people pay good money to have hair that color, lucky you were born with it."

At this point, I've only taught DD to say thank you if someone compliments her - as in saying they like her hair color. DD is 4yo now, and the other day someone asked where her red hair came from. Her response - "It grows out of my head." Out of the mouths of babes
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote