Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

All day pre-k?

Just wondering if anybody's school district has an all day preschool program, because apparently mine does.
DS will be 4 in December, I've done lots of homeschool type of activities with him and he loves learning. We figured he'd thrive in a pre-K program and there are a few schools that have 3yr old classrooms. We have a friend who works in the district offices and she was able to help us get DS into one of those classrooms. It's a fee-based program, but our friend was able to get the fee waived.

Anyway, I got a letter from the school stating that the hours of the program are from 7:45 to 4pm! I thought that was a mistake and called the school. They confirmed it. Crazy an eight hour day for a 3 year old! They participate in all the stuff that the older kids do, art, music, PE. The K-5 hours are 8-2. I even asked if the extra 2-4pm time for pre-k is instructional time and she said yes.

So I'm a little leary about sending my DS off for a FULL plus school day. I know parents that work send their kids to daycare or preschool for that long, but as a SAHM I didn't expect to have DS gone for 8 hours a day. Man I'm gonna miss him!

I feel blessed that DS has the opportunity to go to this special program for free and I think he will thrive in the learning environment. I'm just concerned about the long day. He starts Aug 22nd. I figure we'll try it out and if he can't handle it, we'll pull him out. In the meantime, I'd like to know if anybody has had experience with something like this? How'd it turn out for you.

UPDATE: Post #21 It's all good.

Advertisement

Last edited by myblessedbaby; 08-24-2011 at 07:39 AM.
myblessedbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:
Re: All day pre-k?

Is is all day, every day?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodie.yarnie.mommie. View Post
Is is all day, every day?
I believe so. I didn't ask that question, but nothing in the letter or info from my friend said anything about days. If it was only MWF or something, that would have been noted. Tomorrow I'm gonna talk with the friend who got him in the program and get more details. I think she'll be surprised that it goes to 4 cause she mentioned maybe 1:30.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you are uncomfortable don't do it. Send him to kindergarten when the time comes if that's what is right for you. They grow up fast, and don't get a do over!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think I would send a child that young all day, every day, unless it was because I had to for daycare.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD went to an all day pre-k last year . I honestly feel like i missed a year of my dd's life. I would never do it again .
Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
lalaura
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 4 year old DD starts a pre-k program next week. It is an all day program 5 days a week. We are going to try it out for a couple weeks and we have the option of cutting her day in half if we feel it is necessary.

I will miss her during the day and so will her little sister but I know it is what is best for my DD. She has been begging to go to school for over a year and was so excited to meet her teacher earlier this week (jumping and screaming excited). I am happy for her and I think it is great there is this opportunity for her and our family. (It is a free program)

I think you need to do what you feel is best for your child. Try it out and if it doesn't work pull him out.

Check back with me in a couple weeks and I will let you know how she is doing. LOL

Proud SAHM to 2 beautiful girls J (03/11/07) and Z (01/18/10)
lalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 3 (4 in Sept) DS just started all day 4k class this week. It is not through the school district - though they do offer that. It is however through a private school. I picked the private school because it was near my older DD's school- it will help me tremendously with the new baby coming..

Parker is a LEADER child - he loves to be in charge and have constant activity - that he can loudly participate in. He is just barely one year older than his little sister and he steam rolls over everything I try to do with them both play and learning. Our learning situation at home was getting chaotic and I knew with a new baby I would not be able to handle them BOTH especially since Parker is such an in charge kind of kid.

The private school he is going to is small classroom sizes (11 kids) - the kids have "school" from 8-3...this is an actual private school that has a 3yr old pre-K and a 4 yr old Pre-K and then goes up to 8th grade...it is SCHOOL...not daycare. They learn about all the regular learning/education/school stuff like colors, letters, numbers, patterns/weather/science/etc...just what you would expect for school. They also learn about manners and how to do things like brushing teeth and tying shoes, playing together, Sitting nicely, etc. They also have music time and art time in seperate classrooms. And then gym time/or outdoor play (when it cools off). They also have rest time for 1 hr...the day seems like a long day but in reality they aren't just sitting in a desk the whole time.

I also pay extra to have him have the option to stay until 6 - only because older DD is in swim athletics afterschool so I didn't want to be driving TWICE intot town to pick them up...the activities from 3-6 are more "play" oriented, they also have movie time (30 minutes) and more snack time...

I would find out what all they are expected to do during the day - you would be surprised how much fun it will actually be. Parker LOVES going to school - when Id rop him off he is so excited to go sit at his table (no toys at drop off so that isn't enticing him)...he just LOVES it. Of course he has a big sister that he adores and wants to be like so that may be some of his excitement... but he really likes going all day - and gets the constant instruction and activity that he craves and I just didn't have the energy for.

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Thanks for all the feedback. I do have the same concerns that you all noted. Missing out on time. One of the reasons I stay at home is to have time with my kids. Yet, I think DS will have a great time there and know they can do a lot of things at school that I can't do at home. It'll also give me a chance to have some one on one time with DD. I think both kids would benefit. It's just the loooooong day that concerns me.

Meet the teacher is on Aug 19th. I'll have a better idea of what the school day involves at that time. If DS isn't happy being away for so long, I don't have a problem pulling him out. The closest thing to school that DS experienced was VBS and he loved it, but that was only 3 hours and I was in the room next door volunteering.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
2beauties
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would not send my DS to an all day preschool. Enjoy your time at home with him!