Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #11
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: All day pre-k?

That's a long day. I understand it's a necessity for a family with two working parents, but as a SAHM, I wouldn't send my child to preschool for 8 hours a day.
My 4 year old goes to preschool from 8-2 twice a week.

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #12
pcjs
Registered Users

I would give it a try and if you don't like it you can always pull out. Its probably extended for working parents if its free and there are probably limited after care programs for that age..
Old 08-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #13
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I would do it, my DD is in a 5 day a week program but it's only from 9-1 and she never wants to leave when I go to pick her up!! Plus I make my kids take a nap after that so I don't really feel like I would be missing out on anything. She's very smart and loves school, she would be bored at home especially with the new baby coming I'm going to be tired and probably not up to doing all those activities with her myself.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Since he is really only a little more than 3 1/2 I would not send him this year. I'm not sure why parents sometimes want to start their children in school early. It is not dev. appropriate. That day would be way too long for a 3 year old.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
aldermother
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're a CDing (potty-learned), co-sleeping (bunk beds), extended BFing (weaned), baby-wearing (big boy-wearing), non-circing, Waldorf loving, tree-hugging, hand-me-downs-welcome Earth friendly family!
PT preschool teacher& FT Mama to my beautiful tree & our little growing sapling

Last edited by aldermother; 09-14-2011 at 05:25 PM.
aldermother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #16
aldermother
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

double post
We're a CDing (potty-learned), co-sleeping (bunk beds), extended BFing (weaned), baby-wearing (big boy-wearing), non-circing, Waldorf loving, tree-hugging, hand-me-downs-welcome Earth friendly family!
PT preschool teacher& FT Mama to my beautiful tree & our little growing sapling
aldermother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldermother View Post
For parents who actually have a choice, this is not a good idea. An 8 hour day is really too long for any child that age to be in a school environment. I say this as a preschool teacher! I have worked full days like this and have seen what its like for these poor little guys..overstimulated, overtired, and unhappy. They may not know it, and may be upset when they have to leave...but being around that many other children of the same age takes a toll. If you decide to go for it, make sure it's a QUALITY program with plenty of rest times/quiet times, and nourishing snacks (not just crackers!)
I currently work as a part-time teacher in a program which is 3 hours a day for the kids (M-F). This is really enough hours daily for the little ones! I don't even want my soon-to-be kindergartner to be at school very long, so I am enrolling him in a 4 hour program.

I agree with all this. That's why I was SHOCKED that it's an 8 hour day, especially when the K-5 go home two hours earlier! I am curious to see how/why they have such a long day. It just doesn't make sense to me. I'll find out more at orientation and will be able to make a better informed decision.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #18
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD went to all day preschool the last few years, but it was 9-3. I would not be comfortable with that long. I'd find a private program.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #19
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

My son starts pre k next week. It's 4 hours a day, four days a week. I wouldn't send him for 8 hours. No way, I'd miss him too much.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #20
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD#1 went to an all day preschool for about 8 weeks. I intended to home school, but DH convinced me to let her try preschool. Honestly, she loved it, but I didn't like her being gone all day, though Wednesdays were a short day. She had to be on the bus around 8:40am or dropped off by 9:20am and picked up at about 4:15pm, and if she rode the bus she got home around 4:50pm. Wednesdays she was home around 2pm. I also didn't like the fact that I couldn't be involved with school as I would have liked because I had younger children. If I volunteered it couldn't be in her classroom and I couldn't have my other kids with me. They thought if we were in our own childs classroom that out child wouldn't know who to listen too, or who was in charge I felt bad for those poor 4yr olds getting off the bus, half of them were asleep when they got to the bus stop. Our neighbors granddaughter used to cry at the bus stop every morning. I think she didn't like being way from her grandparents all day long. They took her out too, and put her in a private preschool, 3 half days a week. She was much happier then.