Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
She says "it" hurts - what to do?

My 3.5yo daughter has been complaining recently that her girly parts hurt. She doesn't seem bothered at all UNTIL she goes to wipe, and then she'll say something sort of casually like "My butt hurts." (Oh, I should mention that she calls her vagina her 'butt'. I keep trying to correct her but I guess she thinks it's all one continuous crack? Anyway...). She never seemed particularly distressed about it, and doesn't seem to have any obvious UTI signs. But tonight after she went potty she said "Mommy, my butt really hurts! Could you put some lotion on it?" She is thinking of the diaper rash cream I have had to use on her brother here and there. When I asked if I could look down there, she FLIPPED and was screaming "NO it hurts!" when all I was doing was trying to open her legs just to see. What little I DID see (I didn't want to traumatize her) wasn't really any more red than usual...I don't think.

I know it's common for girls her age to get bacteria in there from not wiping well....but do I need to take her to the doc? Are there natural remedies/treatments/prevenative measures I can take? Do you think it could be something else and I'd be dumb not to get it checked out?

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Re: She says "it" hurts - what to do?

So does it hurt when she pees? Or just when she wipes? If it hurts when she pees, it could be UTI.

Are you sure it's not really her butt hurting? Maybe she isn't wiping good and leaving poo behind which irritates her skin?

Maybe she is wiping too hard up front and/or scratched somewhere. If there is a scratch or small cut, that may hurt when wiping.

I have a neice, when she was 5 she would say her pow pow hurt (vagina) They took her in and she had a yeast infection.

I would try to talk her into letting you see better. Go ahead and put a little diaper rash cream on her, tell her you have to see where to put the lotion and you will be really gentle and see if she will let you. If she won't let you look, she will really fight the doc too!

If you can get her to let you look, I would look for redness, little swelling (scratch light swell in that sensitive area), scratches, take a look at her butt and make sure she looks clean, and maybe take the good old wiff and make sure she doesn't smell really fishy (could be yeast) Maybe tell her if she doesn't let you look, then she will have to go to the doctor and let him/her look.

In the mean time, maybe get her some cranberry juice just in case it is UTI, that can help.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe a yeast infection? I'd try to convince her to let you look, maybe have her lay down and watch a movie or something for a sec to relax/distract her? If she touched it, she might have just scratched herself or something. Really, you can't know unless you can see. If you can't see anything, I'd probably just take her in in the next few days to test for a UTI just in case, but hopefully it will just clear up on it's own, whatever it is!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

H is like this too! I don't know what it is! I just make sure to check her every night after her bath to make sure its really clean and I use diaper rash stuff a lot. We have some monistat that we bought just in case but I'm not sure if it really helped. I remember when I was younger I was VERY sensitive to soaps and I couldn't take bubble baths. I don't know about H though because we use natural stuff (Burts Bees, California Baby) so I'm too.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabarnes View Post
So does it hurt when she pees? Or just when she wipes? If it hurts when she pees, it could be UTI.

She has never once said it while she was peeing, only when she wipes.

Are you sure it's not really her butt hurting? Maybe she isn't wiping good and leaving poo behind which irritates her skin?

It is really her vagina, I asked her to point to what she meant just so I could be clear.

Maybe she is wiping too hard up front and/or scratched somewhere. If there is a scratch or small cut, that may hurt when wiping.

I have a neice, when she was 5 she would say her pow pow hurt (vagina) They took her in and she had a yeast infection.

This is what I'm wondering about...

I would try to talk her into letting you see better. Go ahead and put a little diaper rash cream on her, tell her you have to see where to put the lotion and you will be really gentle and see if she will let you. If she won't let you look, she will really fight the doc too!

I did put a little cream on her as best as I could but she was VERY resistant. When I asked her if she wanted to go to the doctor to see if she (the dr.) could make it feel better at first she said yes and then she said she didn't want her to touch it because it would hurt.

If you can get her to let you look, I would look for redness, little swelling (scratch light swell in that sensitive area), scratches, take a look at her butt and make sure she looks clean, and maybe take the good old wiff and make sure she doesn't smell really fishy (could be yeast) Maybe tell her if she doesn't let you look, then she will have to go to the doctor and let him/her look.

In the mean time, maybe get her some cranberry juice just in case it is UTI, that can help.
Thank you for your suggestions!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

What about giving her a bath with some Epsom salt? Not filling the tub all the way, just a couple inches of water and some Epsom salt and have her sit in there while you read her a book or something. Dunno, just a suggestion...
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

My oldest daughter (almost 11) would often say the same thing starting around that age. While she has had a UTI in the past that is not typically the problem. It is usually a combo of scented soap and wiping either to aggressively or not well enough. We just use warm/wet washcloth and then apply either bacitracin or if it looks rather red and has been bothering her for a few days, some fungal cream (one of the docs I work with said fungal cream often works, often better than a yeast cream). If it persist or she has other symptoms see your doc. Unfortunately girly part hygiene is tough to learn and sone girls are just more sensitive.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #8
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

If its when wiping it could be the brand of toilet some brands especially cheap or really fluffy ones bother me Scott and cottonell work best for me most others make me itch
Old 08-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
doodle19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 3.5 yo is EXACTLY the same. She has kidney reflux and has been cathed for tests and looked at a lot. I used to think this is why she acted this way but just recently I'm not so sure. When I wash her up before bed on a non bath night she flips out claiming no it hurts when my hand just comes near her. I'm not sure what to do either. I've thought about doing the wet wipes they offer w/ the toilet paper, thought they might feel better or be more gentle?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodle19 View Post
My 3.5 yo is EXACTLY the same. She has kidney reflux and has been cathed for tests and looked at a lot. I used to think this is why she acted this way but just recently I'm not so sure. When I wash her up before bed on a non bath night she flips out claiming no it hurts when my hand just comes near her. I'm not sure what to do either. I've thought about doing the wet wipes they offer w/ the toilet paper, thought they might feel better or be more gentle?
We just bought some of the wet wipes but I accidently grabbed the wrong ones and these are SUPER perfumey . I have been helping her wipe with a wet cloth wipe, but I will try some of the other suggestions and see if they help. Thank you everyone!