Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Which seat will last longest and new UK seat info

Ok so it looks like we are moving to the UK by the end of the year. Right now we have three seats a Britax Roundabout 55, Evenflo Symphony and a AOE, in two cars, Britax is currently a spare. So we are moving and most likely selling our two cars and not getting a car for a while there. When we do we want to already have one of our seats with us, we also plan on leaving a seat here for our visits, and when my cousin visits my Grandmother (at least I wish they would, I found out they have had her in a booster at least to visit my family when she was two ). So of the three seats which do you think have the heighest shell? My DS is 90-95% for height but 40% for weight so the height is way more important here.

Also anyone know about UK seats or laws?

Advertisement

Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Which seat will last longest and new UK seat info

In the UK, kids are turned to forward facing before 1 year old. I don't know much about their laws or seats though.

I'd probably take the roundabout55 since it will be easiest to install in a variety of vehicles that may or may not have LATCH. I'm not sure which seat lasts longest by height, but you could eyeball that by having your ds sit in each seat (installed in the same car) and checking how much room he has above his head.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

You will not be able to legally use US seats there. There are not that many options for extended rear facing unless you get a seat from Sweden (which I totally would). Adventuredad would have much more information on this, so you might want to PM him or check out his site www.carseat.se .
Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
pcjs
Registered Users

I'd get the Kiss there which is the same as the Duologic2. It is only a RF seat and allows to extend RF. We have the Duologic2 and love it. Plenty of head room and it will last a while.

http://www.incarsafetycentre.co.uk/c...products_id/54
Old 08-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
I'd get the Kiss there which is the same as the Duologic2. It is only a RF seat and allows to extend RF. We have the Duologic2 and love it. Plenty of head room and it will last a while.

http://www.incarsafetycentre.co.uk/c...products_id/54

Why did you get a seat that only RF and only RF to 40 lbs? I understand the desire for Swedish seats (I really want one myself) but why not get one that can do more than the seats available here? I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

Because it has the isofix in the car seat, it is the only seat with steel rods in it, it sits further back on the seat giving more leg room, it fits cars & SUV's really well and is tall but not big, I like it only RF as its specially designed for it, its really easy to install as you just slide the metal brackets in, and they have other cool features like its actually two seats and it has an infant seat in the main seat that comes out and its on wheels so before he got too heavy (I wish I knew as I would have skipped an infant and just used this) I could pull out the infant part and use the wheels (not the easiest but for a quick trip to the post office it was great to just roll him in).

As for why only rear facing. I plan to go as long as we reasonably can in my car/primary car and so I have no need for a FF seat. Anyone who will not RF then they don't drive my child (my family & husband fully support it). And, when he's that big where he no longer fits it, I'd rather go into a cool booster and hopefully in the next year or two they will make cooler ones. My logic with car seats is buy what works and you need now. The two things I'd spend money on are car seats and a good crib as those are for safety. We prefer smaller seats and just sizing up when needed.

Plus, I made my dad buy it for me for my birthday so I didn't pay for it.

Also, I needed something that sits low down as I got tired of trying to get my son into a seat that was higher and bumping his head (he was a good sport about it).

I'd if possible only buy the isofix seats. It is far better than the our latch as the belts always loosen (even though when I get them in those things don't move) and I have to reinstall every few months.

Are those enough reasons. I'd be happy to send you more. I went back and forth too and finally couldn't come up with anything for my birthday. I'm not sure if I'd pay the money but if we went to the UK or somewhere that sold one I'd absolutely bring one back.

But, if you choose to buy one ask about the manufacture date - ours was over a year old and I was pissed and the company basically said tuff, its fine.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What is the max height on that one? And honestly I don't care about if we can use our seats or not there, we won't be driving much and will be on American licenses for a year so I am not any more worried, then using a Swedish seat here honestly. But if DS can last a while in our current seats, I will stick with them and then look at European seats or buying here to take back there.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
pcjs
Registered Users

The Kiss is the UK version, not the Swedish version. I have the Duologic2 which is the Swedish version - its the same exact seat. If I were going to the UK, I'd get the Kiss. I have no clue the height but here is the manuel. We are just hitting age 2 and he has tons of head space, more than our other seats. Its a very different fit than US seats. I'd see if you can look at it before you buy once you are there.

http://www.incarsafetycentre.co.uk/c...Usermanual.pdf
Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for that! The great thing is since I drive a MINI here and will most likely get one there I at least most of my seats will fit I just hate to spend a ton of money for something that might not RF DS any longer then what I have.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok is there any way you could measure the back of the seat for me to get a rough idea of the height?