Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
triplet-momma
Registered Users
seller

Questions and support needed

I'm just so frustrated with always fighting low supply and my baby being hungry, not having enough, supplementing, taking fistfuls of medicine daily, etc.

If this was you: how did you keep your motivation up? If you stopped before your LO was 1 year old, what made you finally quit and not feel guilty? Did starting solids help with your supply issues at all? He just turned 6 months old and is eating 1 meal per day and is still nursing about 5-8 times per day. I nurse on demand and will offer if it's been more than a few hours.

I guess I'm just down that there seems to be no end in sight to the low supply; I must have been hoping it would magically get better and instead it almost seems to have gotten worse Also, what the longest that anybody on here has taken domperidone and did you have any trouble staying on it that long or when you got off of it? Right now I'm taking dom 4 pills 3x daily and 2 ML of more milk special blend 3x daily. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks for any input.

And I do have to put that I'm at least thrilled that we made 6 months today; after his NICU stay and 2 additional hospitalizations (one for 10 days) I never dreamed we could even get this far.

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Couldn't read and not post though I have no advice. Hang in there mama every drop he gets from you is full of good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 08-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
bootiecutie
Registered Users

Re: Questions and support needed

Kudos to you on hanging in there! your son is lucky to have such a determined mom. My friend had supply issues and ended up doing this (I think it's from Ina May Gaskin): she put aside a long weekend to blob around the house nursing as constantly as her dd would let her. Just offered and offered all day. She also pumped just to keep her boobs as empty as possible all the time. Her dh was on board and helped out with all the usual busy stuff like laundry and cooking. It worked for her... if it is feasible you could try and at the worst have a mini-vacation if dh will help you.
S, hippy-elitist-turned-semi-redneck mama to DD, 3, expecting #2 10/14/11
bootiecutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Questions and support needed

I could write a novel about my supply woes. I supplemented my son a bit of formula from 1 week old to 8 weeks old. Took Reglan, Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, beer, oatmeal, pumped, power pumped, breast compressions. I bought Domperidone, but never ended up using it, though my understanding is that is pretty safe for long term use.

As far as when to throw in the towel? Only you can tell. I set mini-goals for myself - like, "I will try as hard as I can until Christmas, and if I am still driving myself crazy, I will quit then." I think I also told myself that I would continue breastfeeding as long as I was able to give more breastmilk than formula. I never got close to using that much formula, so I don't know if I really would have quit or not, but it reminded me that my son was getting a substantial amount of breastmilk and so it was worth it to struggle. If I had been doing all that work for 2 ounces a day, I would have been more discouraged (even though it is true that a small amount of milk has benefits).

I don't think there would be any avoiding some guilt for quitting breastfeeding altogether, though I was also feeling guilt for taking time away from playing to pump and for generally being pretty wacked out about my supply and LO's weight gain rather than just enjoying my baby. In the end, you can only do what you can do, and give LO as much milk as you can for as long as you can. I heard such chorus of, "Try harder! Try this! Try that! If you don't have enough milk, you are obviously doing something wrong!" when I was struggling, but honestly, I don't think I could have tried any harder, read any more on the topic, put the baby to the breast any more often.

Sounds like you are doing everything right (and caring for triplets!), so that is great! In regards to the eating, just make sure to nurse LO just before and after his solids meal so that he gets the most milk possible instead of filling up on food (I have heard stories of people who have had supply issues around the 7-9 month mark and I think it has to do with too many solids); in general get him to the breast as often as possible, every two hours if you can. That's all you can do. Congrats on making it six months!
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote