Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
DKBee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Taking bfed 4 month old on 4 day weekend trip to beach - what to bring??

This week dh has surprised me with a vacation. Now I have 1 day to pack my 4 month old son for this trip. I am quick to admit that I have no clue how to pack for a trip with a 4mo old. This is our first child. It should take us 3hrs to drive to the place and we will have a hotel room and expect to bring him in the water at some point as he has shown much success and happiness during bathtime with daddy. For swim/beach/pool I have 2 swim outfits and 3 swim diapers. What else should I bring for this trip? He is breastfed and we dont use bottles but I may want to pump just in case and perhaps use a sippy cup or something... But probably not. Any and all suggestions appreciated I am starting from scratch without a clue lol. Thanks mamas and papas eep - forgot to add we cd full time

Advertisement

Last edited by DKBee; 08-10-2011 at 12:21 AM.
DKBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Taking bfed 4 month old on 4 day weekend trip to beach - what to bring??

do you know what the laundry facilities will be like? If I were you honestly I'd just take sposies just so I wouldn't have to worry about diapers and washing and all that on vacation when everything else is new.
Traveling with a baby that young isn't a big deal. Clothes for 4 days, some receiving blankets (especially if he spits up), diapers, that's about it.
Think about what you would use for him if you were at home, clothes and that kind of thing, and bring that. don't go overboard bringing toys, he's still really little and the change of surroundings will be stimulating in and of itself. If he has a special blanket or something then of course bring that.
Where does he sleep? If he cosleeps, bring whatever you use to have that set up at home, if he's in a crib, maybe bring a pack'n'play. Do you babywear? Bring your carrier(s), if not bring a stroller. Maybe bring both. 4 months old is young for a sippy cup, if you ebf then I would choose that as something not to worry about, his food is already packed and ready to go
don't stress about stuff, if it's not a big deal at home don't make it a big deal on the trip. he's little enough to roll with the punches, relax and enjoy your vacation!

Last edited by chello; 08-10-2011 at 12:31 AM.
chello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
pcjs
Registered Users

I'm no help, I pack half the house. Remember what ever you forget that you absolutely need, you can get there so if its just a breastfeeding issues - just make sure your husband doesn't forget you and neither one of you forget the baby.

I'd bring a PNP for sleeping as when we've stayed at hotels their cribs were not safe which is how we ended up with ours.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it will be pretty easy! Just bring some clothes, diapers, a good baby carrier and you are good to go! Especially if you're breastfeeding, that makes things easier!
MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm with Mamanotes - you've got the best situation there with the breastfeeding. And really, you probably don't need to pump and do the sippy unless you just have some special routine going on that you don't want to interrupt.

Tons of sunscreen - don't rely on a hat as the water can reflect it back on his little face (happened to a friend of mine - kid was in the shade with a hat on, but the water must have reflected sun onto his face and his little face got cooked).
Old 08-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have traveled a lot with LO's and really a 4month old BF babies is the easiest by far.

Enough clothes
Enough diapers
Stroller or baby wearing stuff
Covers to keep sun off baby -- I don't use sunscreen before 6 months so becareful if you do.
Pack n play for sleeping

If you haven't introduced a bottle I wouldn't mess with it on vacation.

I spent and entire day at a zoo and got very good at walking around and feeding DS4. He was by far the easiest of the 4 to pack for and keep content and fed.

Relax and have a great time. Remeber anything you for got you can always buy when you get there.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

We bought a cheap tent for me to nurse in and him to take a nap in. It was about $40 and I have to say it was worth every penny. I knew he wasn't getting too much sun, we all had a place to eat out of the sand, and I had a swimsuit not really set up for nursing. I also dont' let ds go out in the sun without one of those brim hats they make for swimming no matter how old he gets. He also had baby sunglasses as the water is too bright for my eyes, so can't imagine how an infant feels. The ones with the velcro straps in the back.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNotes View Post
I think it will be pretty easy! Just bring some clothes, diapers, a good baby carrier and you are good to go! Especially if you're breastfeeding, that makes things easier!
I agree! That age was so easy for trips! We took two just from SC to FL to visit family when DD was young like that and only needed her clothes, Ergo carrier, diapers (we brought cloth because we stayed at homes with washing machines), and the little random things she was attached to like her swaddlers and her white noise machine. Also the baby monitor. That was it. She slept with us and didn't need any bottles or food so it was super easy.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've taken trips with cloth and sposies and either way. It depends on how many dipes you have, if you have to do laundry, how many times. we were staying with family and DS was EBF so I was able to use their facilities. It was quick and easy I got a sample of detergent since I knew I only needed one load.

Staying in the hotel was the hard part. We had a really soft bed, and it made me feel like DS was going to get lost in the fluff. If you don't co-sleep, I can see this being easier, as they will loan you a crib (call to see if they will loan you a crib )

Otherwise, be sure to pack the things YOU need! Snacks, water, a pillow if you use one to nurse. Plenty of extra breastpads and lanolin if you need it. Convenient clothes to nurse in. I got caught off guard with all the going here and there and got kind of dehydrated and hungry and was overwhelmed and crabby.

Remind traveling buddies (DH or whoever) that you are traveling with a baby. They know, but they don't really *know*. DH wouldn't stop talking about how our 4 hour drive was taking 6... well, duh honey. We have to stop every hour to nurse or soothe a crying baby. We also have to feed a nursing mom. Did you think this would be the straight up timed trials of our youth? And while I was nursing a wailing DS in the dark in a rest stop BIL kept asking if I was "done yet so we can get back on the road because it's x o'clock". WTH buddy.

Last edited by Kriket; 08-10-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Kriket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
DKBee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
I have traveled a lot with LO's and really a 4month old BF babies is the easiest by far.

Enough clothes
Enough diapers
Stroller or baby wearing stuff
Covers to keep sun off baby -- I don't use sunscreen before 6 months so becareful if you do.
Pack n play for sleeping

If you haven't introduced a bottle I wouldn't mess with it on vacation.

I spent and entire day at a zoo and got very good at walking around and feeding DS4. He was by far the easiest of the 4 to pack for and keep content and fed.

Relax and have a great time. Remeber anything you for got you can always buy when you get there.
what kind of cover would work for the beach? I cant picture what you mean. Thanks for the suggestion