Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
How many books for kids?

I know this seems really silly to ask. Books are usually the one item people do not trim on. They are cheap and easy to get and store.

Well living overseas finding english books is not easy. For me to buy a single new english book for kids in a book shop costs close to 30 dollars.

So I am pretty much restricted to ordering in the US and paying international postage to get DS books. I only have 1 book for him right now and I imagine he is getting pretty bored with it

So I am curious, if you had limited resources, what is a basic rotation of books? How many would you get?

Any must have books you suggest that if you had to pick and choose would make sure you had on hand?

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Can I ask if you are also buying German books as well? I assume there is a German version of Dr. suess books?

I dont know if you speak or read german, or are raising your DS bilingual.

At that age, I would aim for 10-15 and try series maybe? Like DR suess, the peter rabbit books...maybe buying them as a set would be cheaper to get them to you?

Or a big book of nursery rhymes, like mother goose. That way you have a bunch of stories in one book.

Hth some.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:11 AM   #3
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: How many books for kids?

Yep I am doing English and German. I speak and read English to Ds, DH speaks german and reads to him.

I can find great kids books here at the yearly library book sales for around a quarter to 50 cents. And also online. (new is also rather costly).

But english is tougher to find. Most book shops only have high school lit type stuff.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:32 AM   #4
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: In a turn of the century farmhouse with my 2 favorite people!

I think 10-15 is good too. I like to have about 5-6 in regular rotation for the day and swap out as I notice her getting bored with them. Your LO is younger and may not get so bored as easily as my 2 yr old. Why don't you post an "ISO" and see if any of us momma's can send you some books we are no longer using. Or do an "ISO" with particular books you'd like so you're only getting books you know you want. I know I'd be happy to go through our books to see if there's anything we no longer use that you might like.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:39 AM   #5
Nijntje
Registered Users

My Mood:

I usually just translate aloud as I'm reading.

edit: I'm sorry. That's not what you asked.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:50 AM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the 10 to 15. Kids usually tend to pick one or two to read for a few weeks before they move on. We used to read 3 books a night and one of them was ALWAYS Guess How Much I Love You (Great book- we still read it and have for 3 years now). Dr. Suess books are great. We also like Eric Carle. Given her choice dd (9 times out of 10) grabs a Dr. Suess.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
SashaE80
Registered Users

My Mood:

Serena have you tried the bookdepository.co.uk? They are (in my opinion) very competitive on price and they do free international delivery from the UK. As you are in the EU, you'll have to pay VAT rates but even so i think it's cheaper than you currently get.

Must have books are anything by Julia Donaldson. Fortunately she's been quite prolific because i get bored quickly even if ds doesn't!
SashaE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Nope I have never heard of that website I will check them out.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 AM   #9
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I also put up a ISO on here.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:46 AM   #10
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Could you buy a bunch of books from Americans and have a bunch shipped to you at the same time?

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote