Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
thejuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Giving up on CDing...

I third the prefolds and covers. Flips don't leave red marks on my daughter and she has some hefty thighs. We also use Elementals because they are simple, trim and absorbent.

Advertisement

thejuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the ones who said to buy a box of sposies and use them for a few days or weeks or however long they last. You might end up loving them, and deciding that cloth really isn't the right thing for your family/child. I really think that for some people, cloth just isn't the right thing to do. And if that is the case, then there certainly isn't any shame in that. You tried cloth, and that is far more than most people do! But, after using sposies for a while, you might decide that you want to give cloth another try. And if so, here is my story -- we used small Fuzzi Bunz on my first son, and they worked great. But then he outgrew them, and the mediums were crazy huge still, so we switched. My boys are in day care full time, so we can't do prefolds. I did some research, and I found BottomBumpers all in ones. They are super trim, but hold quite a bit. I love them, and our day care has no issues with using them. I prefer the snaps, but they also come in velcro. My older son has finally now just about potty trained, but they worked great on his super skinny legs, and they also work great on my chubby almost-one-year-old. Maybe try a few different dipes out (buying from FSOT so you don't lose a ton of money if you don't like them).
Old 08-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
Skatha89
Registered Users

*raises hand*

I'm also at that point. I don't like AIO, my pockets are always linty and I hate touching mf, I can't fold a prefold/flat to save my life AND DS hates the snappi so we padfold and trifold, but I only have a few to last a day or so. Yup. And no money to buy more atm. *hugs* mama!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #14
vittoriosmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have given up and during that time i used disposables.After buying my 3rd or 4 th box of disposables I felt so horrible-I started thinking i could be using cloth and NOT spending that $40 every 3 weeks. I have gone back to cloth- and this cycle repeated about 3 times. I believe it takes a while sometimes to find what works and CAN be pricey considering that you need to buy a bunch of new stuff and then hate it and sell it- sometimes loosing money on shipping.
My advice would be- get a rental from say Jillian's Drawers-you will receive a bunch of different dipes o try- it will cost you $10 and you might find something wonderful!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
MrsA08
Registered Users
seller

I was really frustrated with CDing a couple of months ago due to my DD having a seemingly incurable rash. I went to the store and started looking at disposables and I just couldn't bring myself to buy any, they just seemed so expensive. I went home and looked to see if there were any CD stores in my area. Luckily there was one. I called her and told her about all my frustrations with detergent and possible suedeclothe allergies and all the rash problems I had been having. she offered to give me a trial pack for a week of a bunch of different kinds of diapers to see if there was something different I would like. I decided to try one other kind of detergent to see if that would fix my rash problems and it did.
I know that you are not having a rash problem, but i mentioned this because maybe there is a CD store near you that would be willing to give you a trial pack. If not, I can't think of the name of the online store, I will look in my history and see if I can find it, but they offer something very similar. You buy the diapers for a discount up front, but then she refunds you the purchase price, minus a small restocking fee, for the ones you don't like.
There are a lot of die hard cloth users out there that really want to help make it work for you if they can. Like a lot of the pp's said though, don't feel bad if you have to go to disposables, it happens!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #16
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I really do think simple is best. Trifolded prefolds or flats and covers realistically can work for everyone. Cheap, efficient, easy to clean etc. Flips are great for chubby thighs. Also you don't have to find one diaper that fixes everything. For me I have several different mini stash that work for us. Like I use one type for nights and another for days, another for when out of the house. The only time I ever considered giving up was before I knew I could use Tide and was having stink issues.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #17
MrsA08
Registered Users
seller

Here are a few links I found:
http://www.nellsnaturalbaby.com/Pick...Pack_p_58.html
http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/produ.../tryclothfor10
https://www.momsmilkboutique.com/ClothDiaperTrial.html
http://www.diaperjunction.com/try-cloth-diapers.html

I couldn't find the one I was thinking of, but these are similar. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #18
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went through this a few months after I started cding. I just stuck to it and eventually some of the issues went away. I realized I kind of expected too much from a diaper and once I gave my cloth a break it worked out fine. Hope you find something soon, sometimes just going simple is the way to go. Prefolds and covers may be good and then have a few pockets or natural AIO for when you need convenience.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #19
Thismomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wink Re: Giving up on CDing...

I wasn't quite to the point of quitting CDing, but I definitely was near tears. My Bug is a very chubby thighed heavy-wetter. I eventually tried some Alvababy pockets from eBay and was very pleasantly surprised (they're only about $5 each w/shipping). I needed a little extra absorbency for my Bug, so I bought some 45/55 cotton/hemp material and sewed together some multi-layer doublers to stuff with 3-layer microfiber inserts. She can go several hours (not that it happens very often) without a leak! For overnight (10-12 hours) I use econobum and Thirsties covers with a pf folded into thirds and one of the cotton/hemp doublers--no leaks yet!

Please don't give up! There is a system that will work for your LO! I would STRONGLY recommend going with some type of hemp insert or doubler for your heavy-wetter no matter which system you try next.

Good luck!!!!!
Thismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #20
daisymomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have gone thru this myself one time this summer when my hubby very unexpectedly had to be out of town for 8 days when my fil had a major health issue and had to go to the big city for treatment.I did it but realized why I love cloth.Now I am trying to figure out a way to cloth when we travel which is often cause of medical expenses.Hang in there