Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #31
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When my dd was born I happily stuck a cloth dipe on her bum. Then suddenly dh's dad died, they thought my dd had heart disease and I couldn't get the diapers clean in the apartment washer. Oh, and my dd and i had a horrible time learning to bf. Three months later we moved to our house, life calmed down and I tried it again. Easy peasy once I figured out I had to ace a mf free stash.

Really though...simplicity for me is the gmd sized prefolds and covers. Such a simple life! Now I'm converting some to TT to be used with wool, but hey, I'm having fun!

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #32
shoopmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Giving up on CDing...

I have been there too! But, I was stubborn and kept at until I HATED all cloth diapers and went to sposies that lasted about a week and guess what, I HATED those even more I had that inside gel fall out so many times on night diaper I decided to try some other CD brands since my boys body types changed and my little baby was a big baby and my toddler was PL'ing I came to FB's and they are now my go to pocket, but in my quest I also discovered fleece and wool so I use it with prefolds or fitteds it just depends on my mood! Now, Cd'ing is fun! But I definately think your happiness is more important than anything else

Last edited by shoopmommy; 08-10-2011 at 10:00 PM.
shoopmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #33
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I totally almost gave up. started with pfs, DS hated them and couldnt standf being wet. Switched to all pockets, he got massive heat rash and chafing. Then went to padfolded flats and Nikky covers with fleece liners. worked ok but the liner shifted and he got red from wetness.
I ended up making a bunch of Ritas Rump pockets with microfleece inners. It keeps the ebf poop in, keeps him dry and under the nikky covers, it's breathable. I just have to make sure to pull his leg chub out of the elastic or he gets really bad chafing.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:10 AM   #34
SunshineMama2
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferg View Post
Have you considered going super simple with just prefolds and covers? I use flip covers and haven't had a leak yet and your LO might be allergic to synthetic materials so using cotton prefolds might help ward off rashes. Just something to consider. AND if you do try prefolds and covers then at least you'll be able to say you tried EVERYTHING before you walked away.
As a last resort, to say I have tried everything I am looking into GMD fitteds and prefolds with Thirsties Duo Wrap covers. I'm hesitant to spend more money, but may try at least one of each to round out my experience. And who knows, perhaps the old-school way (slightly reinvented for contemporary covers, of course) is actually the best way for us!
SunshineMama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:15 AM   #35
SunshineMama2
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoopmommy View Post
I have been there too! But, I was stubborn and kept at until I HATED all cloth diapers and went to sposies that lasted about a week and guess what, I HATED those even more I had that inside gel fall out so many times on night diaper I decided to try some other CD brands since my boys body types changed and my little baby was a big baby and my toddler was PL'ing I came to FB's and they are now my go to pocket, but in my quest I also discovered fleece and wool so I use it with prefolds or fitteds it just depends on my mood! Now, Cd'ing is fun! But I definately think your happiness is more important than anything else
It sounds like in making this full circle, I am realizing that I should have started the CD experience by trying fitteds/prefolds early on! I thought I would never use wool, but now curiosity has gotten the best of me. Do you have a favorite wool cover? Does it work for long nights with a heavy wetter?

Last edited by SunshineMama2; 08-11-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #36
SunshineMama2
Registered Users
seller

I used sposies the other day for the first time in a long while and forgot just how easy to use and convenient they are! I was totally into CDing for a while -- and still REALLY want them to work out -- but the fickle results are wearing me down!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #37
SunshineMama2
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKatie View Post
I'm there. Our system works fine. As bad as it sounds I just don't feel like messing with it any more. We've been using cloth exclusively since November and I've LOVED it up to this point. We went out of town last week and used sposies for the first time since our switch. It was so nice to not have to think about how much of each "thing" to bring, how/when/where they'll need to be washed, not explaining to helpful family how to put the diaper on or worrying about toting around the dirties. I broke out another "emergency" pack of sposies now that we're home and am considering selling off the majority of our stash, buying a few cases of sposies and carrying on. I've been using the sposies at home, while DH is at work. I'm pretty sure he'll stroke out if I tell him I'm sick of the cloth after all the money and time we've put into them.
I used sposies the other day for the first time in a long while and forgot just how easy to use and convenient they are! I was totally into CDing for a while -- and still REALLY want them to work out -- but the fickle results are wearing me down!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:49 AM   #38
SunshineMama2
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
A previous poster suggested taking a break from cd and going to disposibles for a week or so? I did this around the holidays when I was overwhelmed with just life. It is frustrating when you can not find something that works. I don't have a suggestion on diapers because my son is long and skinny. I started out with bgos 3.0, then added hemp to that, bg organics from fsot, and then after Christmas found I also liked econobum prefolds and covers. They are great at holding in leaks. I don't trifold the prefolds but fold them in half length wise otherwise the prefold slides to the back and it looks like we have a very fluffy hiney. Which diapers have you tried? If we know what you have tried then maybe someone might be able to suggest something. I wish I had found econobum covers and prefolds from the start, but wish they came with applix. I don't think my sitter would use them so the bgos and bg organics are great for her. Don't feel bad if you do give up because you tried for a while. People thought I was nuts when I said I was going to cloth diaper. My husband now calls it my hobby.
I started with BG 4.0 first -- they seemed pretty bulky on such a young baby and ultimately caused a rash (could be the synthetic fabric or hard water/detergent issues, not sure). Then I moved onto GroVia AIO, which I loved for a while until DS became more mobile and had major fitting, chafing and leaking issues. GroVia Hybrid worked fairly well but caused red marks. I'm currently using gDiapers, but have leaks almost daily (unless I crazy stuff them), and I wish the rise was adjustable because they seem kind of small!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 AM   #39
SunshineMama2
Registered Users
seller

Thank you all for your fabulous suggestions and support! I suppose I thought everyone had CDing figured out but me! It is so helpful to hear that others have gone back to sposies without any shame in doing so. I'm just too curious to not try prefolds/flats/fitteds with all of the positive recommendations, so I may have to get a few of these to try before I throw in the towel. Thanks again, mamas! You have been a tremendous help and eased my frustrations!!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:20 AM   #40
eapoosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

keep it simple and keep doing cloth.

I suggest not taking a break, doing so often leads to abandoning which it sounds is not your goal. the links to plastisizers and TBT are more alarming than they were when I started seriously advocating for cloth 10 years ago. I was just at an Environmental Toxicity and Neurodevelopment Conference in June. It is my suggestion based upon what was presented by the Duquesne, Harvard, Berkley and Mt Sinai Research Dr.s that you stay clear of the disposables. Plastics ARE linked to autism.....more concern with this than even vaccinations in the 8 hour conference I was at.

Any of the all in ones or pockets can come with their own sets of issues.
Made with synthetics which can come with about 50% chance of sensitivity, compresson leaks, or the one size can come with not so great or expected fit. I personally have issues with hybrids for business practices but that is another story.

I strongly agree with the suggestion. Prefolds and covers. Or better yet, you have already made investment in hybrids. If the covers perform ok use them with quality prefords inside. If the covers are questionable in performance get some new ones. Hemp prefolds are going to give you a solid absorbancy performance. For the sake of not making anymore large investments. Might I suggest only buying a small amount of quality cotton prefolds, which are cheaper than hemp, maybe enough for 1/2 a day and test run them and see if you like them while you are awake and can see how good they work before you invest more.

Over the years I have watched people go off of what their friends suggested and buy first and regret later, only to find that their child needed a different cut/fit/absorbancy/natural fiber etc rendering their bulk purchasing ineffective.

In my opinion watching the CD community grow in the web and as a small manufacturer for 10 years I find Microfiber is Kitchy, needs to stay in the auto department where it belongs and not near the skin of a child (but this is only my personal opinion.....take or leave it)

your safest bet is always a natural fiber (why? because you won't have the same level of stripping issues due to buildup, it washes easier and there is less likelyhood of having a synthetic allergy or sensitivity)

a prefold offers flexability to contouring the roll to meet the fit of your childs need. Snaps are wonderful in many ways. As much as I like them on a diaper you will still get a better adjustability in an aplix type closure over snaps. There are tradeoffs with both types of closures, but for best fit aplix is superior.

Also keep in mind, what may not fit/work for this child may be great for your next.

Last edited by eapoosmama; 08-11-2011 at 03:37 AM.
eapoosmama is offline   Reply With Quote